Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 dbcb
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to haul 900 pounds of porcelain tile for three and half hours over North Carolinas crappy highways tomorrow. The door sticker says the max capacity is 1270 pounds of people and cargo. Two humans and two pups 350 pounds. 50 pounds misc truck gear. 900 pounds of tile. 1300 pounds. Has anyone knowingly hauled 900+ pounds of tile in the bed? Other option is to trailer all or party of it. No suspension on the trailer. Don't want to get home with boxes of tile crumbs. Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I have to haul 900 pounds of porcelain tile for three and half hours over North Carolinas crappy highways tomorrow. The door sticker says the max capacity is 1270 pounds of people and cargo. Two humans and two pups 350 pounds. 50 pounds misc truck gear. 900 pounds of tile. 1300 pounds. Has anyone knowingly hauled 900+ pounds of tile in the bed? Other option is to trailer all or party of it. No suspension on the trailer. Don't want to get home with boxes of tile crumbs. Thoughts?
Are you good at crash diets?

I would probably just do it. Thirty pounds would not bother me, as long as you can distribute the weight in the bed properly.

Understand, I am the guy who hauled 1600 pounds of shingles in a GMC Safari minivan...so you may want to hear other opinions.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have hauled 750 lb ATV, along with 80 lbs of firewood, me , dog, tools and had bunch of fuel in 5 gallon cans. No problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've hauled bags of concrete mix with that much weight in my 18 Z71 with no problem. As mentioned above, distribute the weight so the truck stays level. And allow extra stopping distance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've done 1000 lbs of flooring with a single driver and a empty cab. Definitely wasn't fun on bumps, and you'll have to go slower. Make sure the load is centered when they fork it into the bed, and tie it down really good. I find tile is usually packed pretty good and they don't rattle, just be careful if you have any partial boxes.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
This isn't a problem.
But do watch your Trans temp and use Tow Haul Mode most of the time.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Need to understand that 1,270LB is for the whole truck and not just on the rear axle. Being "only" 30LB over GVWR tells you nothing about how much you're over the RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) and that is where your problem would happen, especially on bad roads. If you end up constantly bottoming out or slamming the rear axle into the bump stops because you're way over RAWR then you risk bending the frame or the rear axle itself.

So, be careful.

Reactions: Iamscotticus

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Measure your truck from the ground to the bottom of the rear wheel house openings. Load in the tile and drive around town for a few miles and remeasure. This will tell you how the truck handles the load both in terms of acceleration/deceleration (aka braking) and how much the springs are compressed (remeasure the wheelhouses again). Then make your decision. Worst case, U-Haul. ;)

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Should not be a problem once evenly loaded. Install Timbrens on your truck.
Sure, just strap some tile to the hood, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Need to understand that 1,270LB is for the whole truck and not just on the rear axle. Being "only" 30LB over GVWR tells you nothing about how much you're over the RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) and that is where your problem would happen, especially on bad roads. If you end up constantly bottoming out or slamming the rear axle into the bump stops because you're way over RAWR then you risk bending the frame or the rear axle itself.
This is only a response to the first sentence, I agree with the rest. Do you think that 900 pounds in the bed is all that different than 700 pounds of tongue weight 12" past the end of the bed?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
This is only a response to the first sentence, I agree with the rest. Do you think that 900 pounds in the bed is all that different than 700 pounds of tongue weight 12" past the end of the bed?
I think it can be very different because with that 900LB in the bed, if you have the long bed, you can put roughly half of that forward of or over the rear axle to help put some of that weight on the front axle. 700LB on the hitch not only works as a lever on the rear axle but also any weight removed from the front axle (front end raises due to weight on the hitch) also gets transferred to the rear axle. That 700LB hitch weight could result in more weight on the rear axle than 900LB in the bed.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
That 700LB hitch weight could result in more weight on the rear axle than 900LB in the bed.
That was sort of the direction I was thinking. Not that 900 pounds in the bed is nothing to sneeze at, or that you probably wouldn't use a WDH with a 700 pound tongue weight. I don't recall if GM specifies a WDH over a certain weight on the Colorado/Canyon like they do on some.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wrote this in another thread and you likely already did the drive but I had 2600lbs of pavers in the rear of my truck and I was never close to bottoming out over a 100 mile trip. The temps were fine.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
The forums need a laughing reaction instead of just like.

Reactions: TBIZ4

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I wrote this in another thread and you likely already did the drive but I had 2600lbs of pavers in the rear of my truck and I was never close to bottoming out over a 100 mile trip. The temps were fine.
Now that is pushing it.
Are you sure of those numbers? Or was this your 1 ton dually?
Wow. There must have been an error in the calculation of that weight.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Now that is pushing it.
Yeah, something isn’t adding up because that much weight will definitely be resting on the bump stops.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now that is pushing it.
363 4x8 pavers that weighed 5.9lbs each and 440lbs of passenger weight.

It happened.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
363 4x8 pavers that weighed 5.9lbs each and 440lbs of passenger weight.

It happened.
And it bottomed out on the bump stops. Guaranteed. May not have felt like it, but it did. I’ve done it with less weight.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts