Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Z71 Midnight Edition w/ Urban Armor Equipment
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in May, my wife sideswiped a gate post on the property because she doesn’t know how To drive on dirt roads…apparently. Anyways, 10,000 worth of damage ut That why I pay insurance. It’s August and still no truck. The GM Dealer Body Shop can’t get parts anywhere. Even boneyards are picked clean. Every week they call and say another week and everything should be here. The truck has “add ons” (read: Armor and sue i ability mods) which means after GM puts it together it’s gotta be shipped out to get new add ons which is an out of pocket expense. I hope to have the truck back by maybe November. From what I hear, many insurance companies are writing off vehicles that could otherwise be repaired because no parts can be had. What a time to be alive…

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,339 Posts
I work in Distribution for a Fortune 25 Company. We have been feeling the effects of this since 2020. We are overstocked on some items and understocked on others,
One big issue is People Don't Want to Work.

It is sad that you are going through this. At least going through the insurance would mean hopefully you get a rental...

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
My son-in-law had the insurance company repair his Silverado, normally might have been totaled. But used prices are so high these days, it was cheaper to repair, and no way to find a replacement for him.

He was given a Ram for a rental, hated it.

I am waiting to see, my wife's Nissan goes in the shop at the end of the month, and hopefully they will be able to get parts. We only have 20 days of rental coverage - I am thinking in this environment, that is not enough. Thankfully, we can probably handle life with one vehicle, since I moved office into home and she is retired. I still have to get on the road a bit and wife's non-profit work gets her out of the house, but we just have to coordinate.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work in Distribution for a Fortune 25 Company. We have been feeling the effects of this since 2020. We are overstocked on some items and understocked on others,

It is sad that you are going through this. At least going through the insurance would mean hopefully you get a rental...
Pardon my French, but **** No. Those cheap fucks at Progressive wouldn’t extend the $600 limit. It’s pointless to even get it. I luckily have my trusty 98 K2500/3500 Frankenstein truck but Jesus, $115 fill ups suck…

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
when I had my truck in the body shop, I ordered and paid for all the add-ons that were damaged and the body shop installed them and the insurance company reimbursed me for the cost of the add-ons..all I paid was the deductible

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of my supplier guys are having a hard time gettin*stock too. I’ve got trucks deadlines at the shop for customers for MONTHS because everything was either picked clean or the parts are on a literal slow boat from China. However, we realized that rebuild kits are a plenty and nobody rebuilds anymore, they replace. Welp, I snatched up another tech/rebuilder, put him in a hole by himself (We toss him PBR and slim Jim’s to keep his will to live from deflating) and waited. Now I’ve got a better than nice side hustle, soon to be new division going. We can get rebuild kits for Series 60 water pumps semi decent. Truck comes in, and we rebuild the pump. If we can find new or reman, we will keep the core and rebuild it and flip it for over 300% of the core charge. This guy is rebuilding injectors, pumps, brake parts just about anything we can find a tech manual and specs for. It’s getting to the point I had to open a UPS account. so that is ONE upside

·
Super Moderator
4,339 Posts
Pardon my French, but **** No. Those cheap fucks at Progressive wouldn’t extend the $600 limit. It’s pointless to even get it. I luckily have my trusty 98 K2500/3500 Frankenstein truck but Jesus, $115 fill ups suck…
Sorry to hear

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when I had my truck in the body shop, I ordered and paid for all the add-ons that were damaged and the body shop installed them and the insurance company reimbursed me for the cost of the add-ons..all I paid was the deductible
I wish. While the GM dealer shop is highly regarded, hey haven’t much experince fitting 3K weave preformed Kevlar panels inside doors or security filmed glass…

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear
But seriously, Im Paying you stupid cash every month and you’re still telling me No Extensions with no hint of remorse? Why even pay insurance? Sure, $600 covers 90% of claims normally but those claims are a few weeks, not months. Insurance companies need to get with it pretty damn quick

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
I wish. While the GM dealer shop is highly regarded, hey haven’t much experince fitting 3K weave preformed Kevlar panels inside doors or security filmed glass…
My insurance had me take it to a BODY SHOP, not the dealer's body shop...
all OEM parts, had to wait for special ZR2 support brackets

·
Registered
17 Posts

So those people, what do they do? Realized that they can do better for themselves and found a better job? or did they all retire?

·
Super Moderator
4,339 Posts
So those people, what do they do? Realized that they can do better for themselves and found a better job? or did they all retire?
Well I have a cousin the same age as myself... age 50. He lost his job shortly after COVID struck due to downsizing at his place(and looking back his work ethic)
He just got a job again a couple of months ago. He lived off of the Year of Unemployement. (That you would take home more then you would make working if you said you were scared of COVID) and some off teh book odd jobs.

We have gone through so many workers in teh past 2 + years. All they want to do is talk on their ohines, text, search the web. Get upset when you tell them to "do something that is their job"
And then complain they don't get paid enough for the work they do

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Back in May, my wife sideswiped a gate post on the property because she doesn’t know how To drive on dirt roads…apparently. .................................
No disrespect intended, and a different situation, but that brought back memories of my mom giving up driving at a "certain age". She was driving from the horse stable out to their driveway and sideswiped a gate post. She announced that if she could not drive better than that, it was time to stop driving, and she did. Quite a relief for the family actually.

On the subject of repair cost, a friend has an Audi performance wagon, someone backed into him in a very minor incident, left front corner, no airbag actuation, headlights still aligned, left front fender front fascia, and a few brackets = $26,000 estimate & repair paid by insurance.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Aye. I had a similar incident on my dads truck.

The insurance was not going to cover the aftermarket parts. ($1500 limit). But we argued to get lawyers involved and that they must compensate us for an OEM repair even if those parts are not installed. Of course OEM was just as if not more expensive as a metal bumper. They ended up just paying for it all.

·
Super Moderator
4,339 Posts
No disrespect intended, and a different situation, but that brought back memories of my mom giving up driving at a "certain age". She was driving from the horse stable out to their driveway and sideswiped a gate post. She announced that if she could not drive better than that, it was time to stop driving, and she did. Quite a relief for the family actually.

On the subject of repair cost, a friend has an Audi performance wagon, someone backed into him in a very minor incident, left front corner, no airbag actuation, headlights still aligned, left front fender front fascia, and a few brackets = $26,000 estimate & repair paid by insurance.
Parents and driving... I am going through that with my parents... Well especially Mom. Fortunate been real minor incidents, but still all 4 sides she has hot something.. Especially the passenger side. Again a couple weeks ago... Oh the poor garage door frame hit again

Reactions: snowwy66

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
On mechanical parts and assemblies it would actually be kind of great if rebuilding came back again. I hate that we throw away so much stuff because it is not economical to rebuild so we just replace.

·
Registered
2021 ZR2
67 Posts
There it is. I work for RegalRexnord. My plant relies on two of our sister plants in Mexico for parts. Both of those plants are having trouble getting workers. We have new hires start nearly every Monday and by Friday we need whole new crop. And it's not because of pay either. We have one of the highest starting wages in our area.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On mechanical parts and assemblies it would actually be kind of great if rebuilding came back again. I hate that we throw away so much stuff because it is not economical to rebuild so we just replace.
Ditto. The crazy thing is, I’ve got one guy who does nothing now but salvage parts from wherever. We get them from Canada and Mexico. He’s Hispanic so it helps With Spanish. 90% of the stuff we get are failed parts cores like pumps with broken shafts etc. I guess it’s easier to replace than rebuild. Usingthise Series 60 pumps sample again, not only can I replace a customers pump that day and allow them to go back to making cash, but the cost difference with my rebuilt pump compared to say NAPA or the like is huge. Not only is their truck ready in a few hours but the pump cost, even with markup and making my money back, is still, on average, 40% cheaper. That and accounting and parts don’t have to deal with core returns and those core charges. Lots of shops last years called me outright stupid for starting to rebuild. Now they can’t get parts, I can rebuild most stuff, I’m building a massive inventory on the cheap, customers are coming to my side of the county for repairs and, most importantly, I’m laughing all the way to the bank. Also, the extra cash flow allowed me to hire those two new guys, keep all of my other guys and give them pay bumps to offset inflation. Everybody wins…well except those other shops…

·
Registered
17 Posts
There it is. I work for RegalRexnord. My plant relies on two of our sister plants in Mexico for parts. Both of those plants are having trouble getting workers. We have new hires start nearly every Monday and by Friday we need whole new crop. And it's not because of pay either. We have one of the highest starting wages in our area.
So why do they quit?? Work is too demanding? They want to make a living just not doing anything? They lost the concept of how you have to work for money? If that is the case, the world is over.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So why do they quit?? Work is too demanding? They want to make a living just not doing anything? They lost the concept of how you have to work for money? If that is the case, the world is over.
So before I ventured out on my own, I worked a lot of the low end blue collar jobs. Christ, my first job was at 13 working on a loading dock at a metal forming company. Nowadays, that wouldn’t fly. What I’ve found, in my experience, is doin the same damn thing day in and out will weat you down to the point where pay doesnt matter. Anyone standing on a line putting part A to B is gonna lose interest quick. I think that’s the basic cause when you boil it down. If people don’t feel the work is meaningful or stimulating, they’ll get burnt out and quit. That, and subsidizing people to NOT work isn’t helping either…

1 - 20 of 52 Posts