Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wonder what it would cost to buy those parts? To change out the lifts on a Subaru Outback from the automatic to manual lift parts only costs about $100. I consider that fairly reasonable, and in both cases you'd still have the old parts to change back when you sell.

I wonder if they also sell black trim around the fog lights.
well it is a little expensive. This is one piece of Belt Molding $86.36.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Post a picture of the masterpiece. I'd like to see what it looks like.

I sanded the chrome, primed it and sprayed on Rustoleum textured bed covering.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
They are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado
64 Posts
I painted the chrome window trim on my Ext Cab. I initially thought I'd like the chrome accent but it just looked out of place IMO.
How did you remove the rear door trim on your extended cab?

·
Registered
60 Posts
How did you remove the rear door trim on your extended cab?
You can't remove the rear door trim so I just masked it. And since I had to do that on the rears, I did it for the front trim pieces as well.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado
64 Posts
You can't remove the rear door trim so I just masked it. And since I had to do that on the rears, I did it for the front trim pieces as well.
Cool. Thanks. I'm going to use self etch primer, and duplicolor gunmetal gray with a coat or two of clear. I'm not going to sand because I fear that the trim is "plasti-chrome" and will chip if I sand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cool. Thanks. I'm going to use self etch primer, and duplicolor gunmetal gray with a coat or two of clear. I'm not going to sand because I fear that the trim is "plasti-chrome" and will chip if I sand.
I sanded the trim pretty hard and there was no chipping. From what I could tell the trim is metal. I primed and coated it afterwards and I've had no peeling or chips so far.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado
64 Posts
I sanded the trim pretty hard and there was no chipping. From what I could tell the trim is metal. I primed and coated it afterwards and I've had no peeling or chips so far.
What kind of sandpaper did you use?

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a crew cab LT and tried removing the window molding trims off today starting with the back door. I removed the screw but could not remove for the life of me. I was afraid to pull to hard and snap and brake something. I was using a plastic pry tool. Anyone have any tips on removing these chrome trims? I can't stand the chrome any longer. Blacking out my truck. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 387171

View attachment 387171
I have a crew cab LT and tried removing the window molding trims off today starting with the back door. I removed the screw but could not remove for the life of me. I was afraid to pull to hard and snap and brake something. I was using a plastic pry tool. Anyone have any tips on removing these chrome trims? I can't stand the chrome any longer. Blacking out my truck. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Figured I'd post some pix since most of the threads about this ask for before and after, and some are uncomfortable with disassembly.

To anybody on the fence about removal vs. painting or plastidipping in-place, just go ahead and remove it. One screw per strip, no door panel disassembly required. You can see the screw holes in one of the pictures below. Those plastic clips have an iron death-grip but it's all pretty trivial. (Remove the screws, then start at the back-end of each strip and lift straight up, it'll take FAR more force than seems reasonable, until the first one releases.)

And once you have them off, you might as well go for real paint. I cleaned, scuffed, taped, and primed them, then painted with RustOleum Bed Liner spray. It's somewhere between glossy and flat, but it has a subtle wrinkle texture that I thought matched the black plastic by the mirrors pretty well. (This is also great stuff for making that stupid pinch-weld along the bottom of the truck disappear.) I gave each strip two passes with the spray, let it dry for a few minutes, then gave them another two passes. Then after an hour I gave them one more pass and reinstalled. When you reinstall, the strips easily slide forwards or backwards a little to align the screw holes.

Yes, my truck is filthy right now. :serious:

The offending chrome:

Strips removed, the clips go over those little bumps. Note screw holes.

Taping to the box helped, had to bring them inside to dry due to all that pollen and Nature blowing around out there.

Problem solved!

Texture closeup.

The good stuff.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Colorado LT CCSB 4WD
28 Posts
They are a little stubborn but they will pop off. Start at the B pillar and lift/pry upwards. I've taken mine off once, but got lazy when it came to masking them so put them back on. The chrome hasn't bugged me enough to return to this project yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Took mine off yesterday to repaint my black ones as they had faded. The rear ones take quite a bit to get off. On one it flew off and gave me a fat lip. Can’t really break anything but it will take a lot of oomph to get it off.

Here is a picture of it removed so you can see how it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts