Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd post some pix since most of the threads about this ask for before and after, and some are uncomfortable with disassembly.

To anybody on the fence about removal vs. painting or plastidipping in-place, just go ahead and remove it. One screw per strip, no door panel disassembly required. You can see the screw holes in one of the pictures below. Those plastic clips have an iron death-grip but it's all pretty trivial. (Remove the screws, then start at the back-end of each strip and lift straight up, it'll take FAR more force than seems reasonable, until the first one releases.)

And once you have them off, you might as well go for real paint. I cleaned, scuffed, taped, and primed them, then painted with RustOleum Bed Liner spray. It's somewhere between glossy and flat, but it has a subtle wrinkle texture that I thought matched the black plastic by the mirrors pretty well. (This is also great stuff for making that stupid pinch-weld along the bottom of the truck disappear.) I gave each strip two passes with the spray, let it dry for a few minutes, then gave them another two passes. Then after an hour I gave them one more pass and reinstalled. When you reinstall, the strips easily slide forwards or backwards a little to align the screw holes.

Yes, my truck is filthy right now. :serious:

The offending chrome:

Strips removed, the clips go over those little bumps. Note screw holes.

Taping to the box helped, had to bring them inside to dry due to all that pollen and Nature blowing around out there.

Problem solved!

Texture closeup.

The good stuff.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I used the same stuff. I wonder though if I should had addded clearcoat to keep it from going gray overtime.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks good... My Z71 came with all black trim and I prefer it...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Death to chrome!

I have used that same stuff on my front hitch, my plow, my toolbox, fog light surrounds, my hood light brackets, my interior LED brackets, and had good results. Pair with the Self Etching Primer and it really works well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is a nice job and looks really great.
Thanks for the tip on the pinch-weld.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the same stuff. I wonder though if I should had addded clearcoat to keep it from going gray overtime.
I wondered about that. Searching around online, I found truck owners who said it hadn't faded after two and three years. That's better than the Rhino Liner held up in my old Ram! I figure it's easy enough to re-shoot if it becomes a problem.

That is a nice job and looks really great.
Thanks for the tip on the pinch-weld.
Got the idea to paint the pinch-weld from someone else here.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-2nd-gen-appearance-body/357930-under-door-cover.html#post4465458

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you get the screws out of the trim?
From the inside. The screw is plainly visible on the front doors. On the rear doors you have to fold back a piece of rubber trim along the B-pillar. It'll be obvious as soon as you get out there and have a look.

After 1.5 years the spray job looks as good as the first day.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Looks good... My Z71 came with all black trim and I prefer it...
Death to chrome!
Is there a generation younger than 80 years old which likes chrome? I'm in my 60s and think chrome looks old and pathetic.

I might consider this if I ever changed out the grill--that's where most the chrome is on my truck.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado WT Extended Cab 4x4
164 Posts
...Is there a generation younger than 80 years old which likes chrome?...
I'm in my 50's, but I still like chrome. Not a lot of chrome, but just a hint here and there to highlight the paint. Yeah, I know. I'm old school like that. Oh well.

With that being said, I like the black painted trim against the red. Nice contrast. (y)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looks great—black window trim comes standard with the WT ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm in my 50's, but I still like chrome. Not a lot of chrome, but just a hint here and there to highlight the paint. Yeah, I know. I'm old school like that. Oh well.
I painted the chrome window trim on my Ext Cab. I initially thought I'd like the chrome accent but it just looked out of place IMO.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Looks great—black window trim comes standard with the WT ?
I wonder what it would cost to buy those parts? To change out the lifts on a Subaru Outback from the automatic to manual lift parts only costs about $100. I consider that fairly reasonable, and in both cases you'd still have the old parts to change back when you sell.

I wonder if they also sell black trim around the fog lights.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts