Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Truck seat covers are up to 76% off right now on eBay. Click here for Black! Tan! Multi-coloured! even Camo!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the group. I've only had my new 2022 Colorado for three months and there are two spots on the hood where I can only assume bird poop ate all the way through the clear coat and paint to expose the metal of the hood. Anyone else ever see something like this on such a new paint job?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,795 Posts
Well bird poop left on a painted surface for a period of time will eat into it.
And the newer finish on the vehicle is still "soft" for a little bit of time

Reactions: Strommen95

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Hey all, new to the group. I've only had my new 2022 Colorado for three months and there are two spots on the hood where I can only assume bird poop ate all the way through the clear coat and paint to expose the metal of the hood. Anyone else ever see something like this on such a new paint job?
Pictures, make an appointment with the dealer,

·
Premium Member
2022 ZR2 Bison
404 Posts
I believe there is a paint warranty, although short and weak. Depending on how long you have had it I'd try and make a case at the dealer.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
1,146 Posts
Bird crap is a paint jobs worst enemy, especially on the hot hood of a vehicle. If it’s not removed immediately,
the acid will begin eating through. Can’t hurt to put a warranty claim in through the dealer, but with bird poop damage, there is a good chance they won’t do anything.

·
Registered
10,832 Posts
bird crap eating all the way to the metal? wow!
My guess is it had a flaw and didn't stick there.
pictures please. :)

·
Registered
10,832 Posts
No, NEVER seen that.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Depends how long it‘s been on the hood. That damage is a very realistic scenario with bird poop.
I drive a lot and dont wash the car that much. Even with bird poo I never had that issue. The older cars I could understand more , but with todays clear coats that looks like a defect in the paint process.

The way that one spot is flaking off is not bird dung issue.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
1,146 Posts
I drive a lot and dont wash the car that much. Even with bird poo I never had that issue. The older cars I could understand more , but with todays clear coats that looks like a defect in the paint process.

The way that one spot is flaking off is not bird dung issue.
More common than you think. That is very possible, especially if the poop was left on the paint a long time. Very acidic..sucks more than anything else, and will cause permanent damage. The new paint process is much softer than yesteryear. Today’s thickness is only that of a Post-It. and will eat through in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If the birds are eating wild berries, it doesn't take that long. Also tree sap will do the same thing. The hood is aluminum so the bottom color should not be rust.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,795 Posts
All their waste gathers in an organ called the cloaca. The waste mixes with uric acid that is produced by the bird's kidneys and it is eliminated altogether. The uric acid cause pH levels in bird poop to range between 3 – 4.5. That's enough to eat into your paint

Bird Poop Can Ruin Your Car Paint! ~ Collision Pros.

Due to their abrasive and acidic nature, bird droppings can severely damage the paintwork of your car.

If left to fester, the high pH level (3.5 to 4.5 on average) found in avian excrement will cause it to burn through the clear coat and potentially eat away at your paint. High temperatures and excess UV exposure expedite the process—corrosion begins quickly on a hot day.

What To Do When Bird Droppings Damage Your Car Paint

The corrosion can be worse during the summer, when the heat on the surface of the hood or roof of a car combines with uric acid, causing paint damage as deep as 1 to 2 millimeters. Bear in mind that your vehicle’s paint is approximately 4 to 6 mils, and it takes only 48 hours for a splatter of caked-in bird poop to ruin your car’s paint and clear coat.

Bird Poop Is Worse for Your Car's Paint Job Than You Might Think

Reactions: Strommen95

·
Registered
96 Posts
Buried in your new vehicle warranty statement (and in your owner's manual) is a 12 month unlimited mileage paint warranty that includes environmental damage. I know, I used it for a spot on my hood where something got on it and ate through the clearcoat and altered the color of the paint. The dealership said it wasn't covered until I pointed it out in the manual. On the other side of the coin was when I got in the bed to wash the top of the cab just over a year later and discovered bird poop that had spent a few days up there in the Florida sun. Yep, it ate through the paint down to the primer. Still have the spot. But you can't see it unless you're, well, a bird. 2018 Colorado W/T.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
You probably will not like my answer. That looks like a problem occurred during the factory painting. Check the rest of the truck carefully to determine whether the hood is the only effected panel. If so, then repainting should solve the issue. If however you find other areas, then the problem effects the whole truck and it may mean the entire truck needs to be repainted. In that case, I would seriously consider getting rid of it. Chances of the dealer/GM agreeing to repaint the entire vehicle are not good, nor are the chances of a total repaint matching typical factory quality.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts