Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, First time posting. I have a 2017 ZR2 Colorado and we are experiencing paint issues. The paint on the door handles are coming off just by rubbing your fingers across the top of the paint. Brought it to the dealer and they stated they have never seen that before but they won't touch it because the truck is out of warranty, they did reach out to GM but waiting on reply. Has anyone else had issues like this? I personally think its ridiculous that paint is peeling off of a 4 yr old truck that was purchased new and kept in the garage. Thinking it is a paint deflect and GM should correct it. Thoughts??

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,425 Posts
Wow that is annoying- is this happening on all of the doors?
Post a pic?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Wondering if your household uses any heavy lotions, oils, Patchouly oil? It’s very strange these are doing this as I’m sure they’re not painted together, let alone on the truck. I’m guessing fallout or something on your hands?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wondering if your household uses any heavy lotions, oils, Patchouly oil? It’s very strange these are doing this as I’m sure they’re not painted together, let alone on the truck. I’m guessing fallout or something on your hands?
Well, my son is driving it and he is pretty much by himself when he drives. I can understand maybe an issue with the drivers door handle but not ALL four.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
That’s the strange part to me as well. I’m surprised and happy to hear GM is lifting a tiger on this one.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Glad they stepped up to take care of it. It just had to be a odd issue as it is not something we have seen here or in person.

The only thing I can think of is your son may have gotten something on his hands that did not react well?

Sometimes people don't know that some things can become paint removers accidentally.

I have wondered how all this hand sanitizer is going to react with some things. I have seen it remove paint off the wall in some cases.

Too many never find out about brake fluid till it is too late.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
996 Posts
Glad they stepped up to take care of it. It just had to be a odd issue as it is not something we have seen here or in person.

The only thing I can think of is your son may have gotten something on his hands that did not react well?

Sometimes people don't know that some things can become paint removers accidentally.

I have wondered how all this hand sanitizer is going to react with some things. I have seen it remove paint off the wall in some cases.

Too many never find out about brake fluid till it is too late.
I can tell you that the hand sanitizer is a major issue and challenge for auto manufacturers. The alcohol based sanitizers play havoc with leather and plastic trim, so be real careful with the leather steering wheel , seats, plastic trim and buttons in your Colorado, Canyon and other vehicles you own. At the very least, make sure your hands aren’t still wet with the stuff when touching interior components and trim.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I can tell you that the hand sanitizer is a major issue and challenge for auto manufacturers. The alcohol based sanitizers play havoc with leather and plastic trim, so be real careful with the leather steering wheel , seats, plastic trim and buttons in your Colorado, Canyon and other vehicles you own. At the very least, make sure your hands aren’t still wet with the stuff when touching interior components and trim.

Yes you are 110% correct.

I had the talk with my family when they started to carry the stuff with them.

·
Premium Member
5,835 Posts

That's an interesting factoid! Never gave it a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, First time posting. I have a 2017 ZR2 Colorado and we are experiencing paint issues. The paint on the door handles are coming off just by rubbing your fingers across the top of the paint. Brought it to the dealer and they stated they have never seen that before but they won't touch it because the truck is out of warranty, they did reach out to GM but waiting on reply. Has anyone else had issues like this? I personally think its ridiculous that paint is peeling off of a 4 yr old truck that was purchased new and kept in the garage. Thinking it is a paint deflect and GM should correct it. Thoughts??
I know this is an old post but I have the same problem with my 2019 Colorado and it started about 6 months ago. The dealership just wanted me to buy a $50 tube of touch up paint but the paint is coming off in big flakes on the door handles. I am pissed. Truck was barely 2 and a half years old when it start flaking off. Of course, I can't find an email for Chevy, so am going to have to call them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts