Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day the check engine light lit up, pulled the codes and I got p0442 (small evap leak) and p0496 (high purge flow ) on my 2015 chevy Colorado LT 4wd 3.6 64k miles. Kind of bumped since it's relative new. Did a smoke test and couldn't find any leaks. Ordered OEM purge solenoid /vent valve. Anyone else experience these issues with their evap systems in the second gens ?

·
Registered
662 Posts
The other day the check engine light lit up, pulled the codes and I got p0442 (small evap leak) and p0496 (high purge flow ) on my 2015 chevy Colorado LT 4wd 3.6 64k miles. Kind of bumped since it's relative new. Did a smoke test and couldn't find any leaks. Ordered OEM purge solenoid /vent valve. Anyone else experience these issues with their evap systems in the second gens ?
I've got a friend who had a CTS with the LFX that did the exact same thing, also threw a lean code. That is what he needed to fix it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info ! Didn't get the clean code but those parts are pretty cheap , 50 together off rock auto for acdelco. Hopefully it'll solve the problem:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update. Ended up pulling the purge solenoid. Found it interesting that it turned out to be bocsh. Anyways I hooked up a hand held pump and discovered that it couldn't hold a vacuum whatssoever. Hooked up the new one, cleared the codes , now waiting for it go go through it's evap test

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this forum. I have a code P0442 and have already replaced the gas cap. I have the purge valve solenoid 12610560 in hand but am unsure where in the engine compartment this part goes. I haven't had allot of time to look for this yet. I have heard that this is under the airbox and near the cylinder head. Any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The purge solenoid is on the passenger side of the engine towards the top. It?s not required to remove the engine cover to access it. It?s secured by one bolt and you need to remove the electrical connection/ vapor line. Both can be removed by hand. It was relatively easy but I have small hands.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The check engine light came on my 2016 Canyon just prior to hitting 36,000 miles. Don't know the code number, but the dealer put a new purge valve on it under warranty.

·
Registered
546 Posts
@Aruas, I just recently got the same code on my 2015 LT V6. P0496. I changed the purge valve and determined the old one was bad by blowing through it. Couldn't blow through the new one, so that confirms the old one was stuck open. My question to you is did you have to manually clear the CEL fault code, or did it clear itself after so many cycles? I changed my valve Monday evening, and my CEL was still on as of yesterday evening. I used a bluetooth OBD2 code reader with the Torque Pro app on my phone to clear it last night. I guess I'm just waiting to see if it comes back. I only got the one code when I originally did the scan.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its my belief that emission related codes are considered “permenant codes” ergo you cant manually clear the codes after replacing the suspect part. You need to wait for the vehicle to go through its evap test for it to determine if the problem is fixed. Theres a long list of criteria for the vehicle to go through before it initiates it test (fuel level, temperature, miles driven, heat soak cycles etc) . It took me a couple says for the code to clear itself

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Aruas, I just recently got the same code on my 2015 LT V6. P0496. I changed the purge valve and determined the old one was bad by blowing through it. Couldn't blow through the new one, so that confirms the old one was stuck open. My question to you is did you have to manually clear the CEL fault code, or did it clear itself after so many cycles? I changed my valve Monday evening, and my CEL was still on as of yesterday evening. I used a bluetooth OBD2 code reader with the Torque Pro app on my phone to clear it last night. I guess I'm just waiting to see if it comes back. I only got the one code when I originally did the scan.
*days*

·
Registered
639 Posts
You need to complete a drive cycle. usually can be done in 30 minutes or so. It consist of a cold start and then all sorts of stuff ex: drive at 55 for 3 miles slowdown without brake to 35 then back to 55 for 2 miles then complete stop then accelerate etc etc etc. you get the idea. Some listed it on a thread on here what our trucks cycle exactly consist of.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks all. So far, the CEL has not come back, and the historical fault hasn't shown up on a scan. It does still show Evap sys "incomplete" on the emissions readiness drive cycle. I'm assuming it's just going through the motions as you guys describe here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 Z71 had P0496 & P0442 and it had 3 second crank times after refueling with 57K miles. Classic description from above. Change the under hood evap purge solenoid. All is well now. Thanx. $42. The old solenoid was a Bosch GM12610560, the new one is a Dorman 911-082. Ten minutes to change with instructions above.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.