Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

P0014, P0024, and P0174 and Cam Oil Control Solenoid

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  White016 
#1 ·
So a few months back I had a CEL for a P0014 code. Dealership swapped the Cam oil control solenoid to the opposite side and said to come back if I get a new CEL. Fast forward a few months a new CEL appears and I take it into the dealership with the codes P0024, and P0174 presenting. The dealer replaced the solenoid they had swapped and cleared the codes.
I have been waiting to post this until I got 1000 miles on the truck since the replacement and I am glad to report that the truck is running perfectly.

I mainly wanted to post this because I never found anything associating P0174 to the solenoid in my research before the dealership made the repair. Logically it made sense to me that an issue with the timing could cause a too lean condition but I had not found anything concrete to base it on beforehand. Regardless of the P0174, the P0024 was a dead giveaway that the solenoid was bad but I was mainly concerned with a secondary problem caused by the timing fault that could have caused the P0174.

TLDR: A bad cam oil control solenoid can cause code P0174 as well as the other known codes such as P0014, and P0024

#2 ·
So a few months back I had a CEL for a P0014 code. Dealership swapped the Cam oil control solenoid to the opposite side and said to come back if I get a new CEL. Fast forward a few months a new CEL appears and I take it into the dealership with the codes P0024, and P0174 presenting. The dealer replaced the solenoid they had swapped and cleared the codes.
I have been waiting to post this until I got 1000 miles on the truck since the replacement and I am glad to report that the truck is running perfectly.

I mainly wanted to post this because I never found anything associating P0174 to the solenoid in my research before the dealership made the repair. Logically it made sense to me that an issue with the timing could cause a too lean condition but I had not found anything concrete to base it on beforehand. Regardless of the P0174, the P0024 was a dead giveaway that the solenoid was bad but I was mainly concerned with a secondary problem caused by the timing fault that could have caused the P0174.

TLDR: A bad cam oil control solenoid can cause code P0174 as well as the other known codes such as P0014, and P0024
That is interesting that could/would cause a lean code too.
Thanks for sharing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.