Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just purchased a 2020 Colorado z71 with lift and 285/70/17 tires. It didn't come with a spare so I'll need to buy and mount it somewhere.

I use the truck for beach driving and carry alot of fishing equipment in the bed. So I don't want to keep the tires on the bed if possible. I don't think I can fit it under the truck. Was thinking about a tailgate mount.

I'm new to the off road community and trying to learn. But mostly I don't want to be 20 miles down the beach without a spare.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,006 Posts
I did a 589 fab spare in the bed. It’s nice because it sits right against the cab and I can easily pull it out if I need to get something really big in there. Personally not a fan of the tail gate style but there are some nice bumper/tire carrier packages out there for $$$$

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The tailgate ones are really a tow hitch product, unless you want to replace the whole bumper. If you research hitch ones, obviously you need a tow package that gives you a hitch, there are models that allow you to tow with them and some do not, they are several ones that are lower than the bumper, some that aligned with the bumper, this means you have to think about departure measurements if you plan to off-road. Ones that align with the bumper height are better for departure than the ones that sit below your bumper height. Things to consider when looking at the hitch tire products are is it big enough to open with the tire past the body of vehicle; you don't want the tire hitting the vehicle. You should also consider when opened can the arm/tire be set open to not to move, if it doesn't the arm/tire can freely swing, either into your open tailgate or the side of the vehicle. A new rear bumper set-up with tire swing can also be beneficial in that you don't have something mounted to your hitch that needs to be tightened and can rattle. A new rear bumper with tire swing is going to the most expensive. Drawbacks can be more weight in the worse place, especially if your towing, your vehicle dynamics will change. As mentioned you can remove the heat shield and place a bigger tire under the truck, you just need to be careful that the exhaust is not going to melt your tire. In bed tire products either place your tire vertical or horizontal, obviously vertical means less bed space but can also block your view. Another expensive option is a platform over your cab and can attach your tire horizontally to it, again, not a great place to add so much weight and will alter your vehicle dynamics. You could also see if you can get or make a heat rejecting cover for the tire while it's under your truck, I think that is probably the best method for what you were asking.

I've had mine over the cab on my truck, but trying to get a heavy tire and rim off the top of your truck when your bed is full is not idea and you increase your center of gravity greatly, but it is manageable and out of the way when it isn't needed.

I switched to Wilco's hitchgate product, but compromised with my departure angles with this version, because the bumper level one can't be used without removing the recovery point and blocks one of the lights I installed.

You'll also have to move your backup camera, your license plate and light the license plate as the tire will now block it:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
If your under 45 a roof rack mounted spare is OK, I stared with that but after wrestling it down aa few times at age 70 I went with a swing out. You do have a extra step to open the tail gate but you keep all the bed space, tire swings out of the way and is easy on or off.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey all. I just purchased a 2020 Colorado z71 with lift and 285/70/17 tires. It didn't come with a spare so I'll need to buy and mount it somewhere.

I use the truck for beach driving and carry alot of fishing equipment in the bed. So I don't want to keep the tires on the bed if possible. I don't think I can fit it under the truck. Was thinking about a tailgate mount.

I'm new to the off road community and trying to learn. But mostly I don't want to be 20 miles down the beach without a spare.

Any suggestions?

You could downsize your tires . That way, the spare would fit in the stock location . Beach driving is not the most demanding off road activity (unless you really need the flotation because of very fine sand)
Just saying .. I'm not aware of your exact circumstances . OTOH, I don't like how the spare tire sits so low for the Chevy Colorado .. it's a real eye sore

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
772 Posts
I would look for a skinny spare that matches the OD of the 285/70/17. That way it’ll be more tucked up than a wide 285. Maybe a 255/75/17?? I think there’s been a few guys that have managed to fit that size under the truck. It’s just a matter of the heat shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's my best option in the short term. Might even buy a stock sized tire. I'm not doing anything crazy, just beach driving. So a smaller diameter spare should get me back to civilization. It does leave me with the dilemma of where to put my bad oversized tire should the time come. Just means I'll have to pack up more efficiently. It will also give me more time to decide on a better long term solution if I want an oversized spare.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
A 265/70-17 on a stock wheel tire fits easily in the spare location. A 285/70-17 tire is only about an inch bigger in diameter. Before you spend any money, try and see if it fits.

Also, I carry a plug kit and compressor. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts