Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Colorado that when cruising 60 - 70 going down a slight grade the overdrive disconnects, Have trouble getting it back unless I slow down to under 40 and speed up again then it will reconnect or turn the ignition off and back on. GM says because there is no engine light that it is normal. I've been driving for 60 years and that is not right. Does anyone have the problem?

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I have an 05 Colorado that when cruising 60 - 70 going down a slight grade the overdrive disconnects, Have trouble getting it back unless I slow down to under 40 and speed up again then it will reconnect or turn the ignition off and back on. GM says because there is no engine light that it is normal. I've been driving for 60 years and that is not right. Does anyone have the problem?
Do you mean you can be going 70mph down a small grade and it will shift into 3rd and stay there until you either slow down to get it into 2nd then speed up again. Can you punch it so it downshifts then it will go back to 4th? or shut the key off then turn it back on? Is this correct? Is it possible its the torque converter not locking back up, not "overdrive" (4th gear) I think on that trans the TC feels a lot like another gear. If so that would make more sense. Does it do it every time or just sometimes? Please elaborate.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't think the 2nd gen section is correct for this thread, no?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Overdrive issue

Do you mean you can be going 70mph down a small grade and it will shift into 3rd and stay there until you either slow down to get it into 2nd then speed up again. Can you punch it so it downshifts then it will go back to 4th? or shut the key off then turn it back on? Is this correct? Is it possible its the torque converter not locking back up, not "overdrive" (4th gear) I think on that trans the TC feels a lot like another gear. If so that would make more sense. Does it do it every time or just sometimes? Please elaborate.
Yes, every time unless you keep a pull or drag on the transmission. Not sure if it drops to third gear, I have 1,2,3,D,N,P when it comes out of OD I can pull it to 3 and the engine will increase RPM put back in D and it's still not in OD. Turn off and back on the ignition as fast as possible then it will hook back up again.

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Where would you put this to get the best response?
looks like there is no real best place for 1st gen for this. I think you should go to 355nation. They are more into 1st gen.

to your original post. it seems like it must be an electrical not mechanical transmission problem first off. Do you have a scan tool? If so I would take a close look at the map sensor and throttle position. Other than the ECM just simply goofing up those are the only things I can think of that could cause something like that. But, with that being said it would be odd that if it was one of those that you don't have other drivability problems too. So, my GUESS would be the ECM because there is no check engine light and a quick power off/on fixes it. Of course it could be something in the trans itself like a sticking solenoid but I just don't know enough about it to tell you what. Sorry, this is as weird of a problem as it gets. Check over at 355nation, you might get lucky and find a trans expert over there or at least other ideas. Good luck!

Now that I think about it, if you are so inclined, check the wiring plug at the trans just to be sure its not corroded or loose or whatever. A good visual inspection is the best start to any problem anyway. I also wonder if the trans selector switch is ok. Does it only do it if you manually put it into 3rd then back? If so thats a possibility. But then again the key cycle fixes it so probably not. just goofy....sheeet

I'm curious. If you just drive it and don't mess with the trans selector (leave it in D), does it downshift and everything correctly? Does it run right other than this? Any idle or other problems?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Overdrive issue

looks like there is no real best place for 1st gen for this. I think you should go to 355nation. They are more into 1st gen.

to your original post. it seems like it must be an electrical not mechanical transmission problem first off. Do you have a scan tool? If so I would take a close look at the map sensor and throttle position. Other than the ECM just simply goofing up those are the only things I can think of that could cause something like that. But, with that being said it would be odd that if it was one of those that you don't have other drivability problems too. So, my GUESS would be the ECM because there is no check engine light and a quick power off/on fixes it. Of course it could be something in the trans itself like a sticking solenoid but I just don't know enough about it to tell you what. Sorry, this is as weird of a problem as it gets. Check over at 355nation, you might get lucky and find a trans expert over there or at least other ideas. Good luck!

Now that I think about it, if you are so inclined, check the wiring plug at the trans just to be sure its not corroded or loose or whatever. A good visual inspection is the best start to any problem anyway. I also wonder if the trans selector switch is ok. Does it only do it if you manually put it into 3rd then back? If so thats a possibility. But then again the key cycle fixes it so probably not. just goofy....sheeet

I'm curious. If you just drive it and don't mess with the trans selector (leave it in D), does it downshift and everything correctly? Does it run right other than this? Any idle or other problems?

The dealer put it through the scan and reprogram which didn't help. Runs fine other then that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.