Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post!

Being the last model year of this generation I’m torn between ordering a ZR2 or a Gladiator. I called my local dealer today who said they had 1 open allocation for a Colorado but it had to be a crew cab as all extended cabs are on constraint. I specifically want an extended cab ZR2 with the diesel. I don’t think my bikes / motorcycles would fit comfortably in the 5’ bed.

I was doing some digging and it appears if this information is correct GM is restricting to the crew cab only?

https://www.donlen.com/manufacturer-updates/gm-trucks-production-updates/

·
Registered
805 Posts
First post!

Being the last model year of this generation I’m torn between ordering a ZR2 or a Gladiator. I called my local dealer today who said they had 1 open allocation for a Colorado but it had to be a crew cab as all extended cabs are on constraint. I specifically want an extended cab ZR2 with the diesel. I don’t think my bikes / motorcycles would fit comfortably in the 5’ bed.

I was doing some digging and it appears if this information is correct GM is restricting to the crew cab only?

https://www.donlen.com/manufacturer-updates/gm-trucks-production-updates/
Could do the tailgate down extender thing ? (Not going to be a popular answer, I know)

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well a Gladiator only offers a 5 foot bed, so that won't help. Plus, it's effing ugly🤮 (and my other vehicle is a Wrangler, so I don't hate Jeeps)
Extended cabs aren't nearly as popular, so companies are cutting back on them and making what sells. Search dealers in nearby areas for something close to what you want. You may even have to look at Rangers or Tacomas.
I drove 300 miles to get my extended cab.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I had 6’ bed for the Colorado as an advantage so if I’m forced to just 5’ like the Gladiator it’s kind of a tossup. I did do some measuring today and it should work with the tailgate down. I just couldn’t find any data from GM about how much weight the tailgate was rated for with it down.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yeah I had 6’ bed for the Colorado as an advantage so if I’m forced to just 5’ like the Gladiator it’s kind of a tossup. I did do some measuring today and it should work with the tailgate down. I just couldn’t find any data from GM about how much weight the tailgate was rated for with it down.
I've personally stood on my tailgate (I'm 200#) with my lady (130#) as we unloaded an 80# pelican case. According to my finely calibrated feet it felt solid so I'd say at least 400# STATIC. Though my preference for cruisers is 100% to trailer them due to their weight, the height of the truck bed, and generally being alone or myself + lady when loading.

Edit: I have edited this to reflect a static weight, as the dynamic forces the road creates could amplify the weight of the vehicle several times. I do believe a tailgate should have the same weight capacity as the payload of the truck, but no documentation to support that.

Here's a neat article I ran across while looking this up.

·
Registered
2017 Laser Blue extended cab 2WD WT (6-cylinder)
341 Posts
“ I do believe a tailgate should have the same weight capacity as the payload of the truck, but no documentation to support that.”. I’m not an expert (in any area really), but I doubt that. The steel might be strong, but the cables and attachment brackets will significantly reduce the strength of the tailgate system.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Today I became an official member of the waiting game... Ordered a 2022 Canyon, Elevation, 2wd, CC short bed (sadly GMC doesn't see the need to offer a long bed in my config) in Satin Steel Metallic. Trailering options... 3.6L V6, black emblems/exhaust tip, 5" black step bars, mud guards and spray in be liner. On paper I really like the contrast of the light grey and black grill/accents. Currently I'm okay with waiting 6 months for delivery... will see how that changes after a couple of months.
Hoping that by ordering a truck that doesn't have all the bells and whistles that are on most models the dealer orders it will cut that time frame down and maybe I'll get a nice Christmas present.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I wouldn't settle for a 5ft bed. You probably won't be happy. Find/wait for the vehicle you want.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wouldn't settle for a 5ft bed. You probably won't be happy. Find/wait for the vehicle you want.
Unfortunately waiting won't change what GMC is allowing to be configured... My only option for a CC 2WD long bed is with the Colorado and after months of kicking my options around I decided that the styling of the GMC outweighs the longer box (no offense to those who think the Colorado is a thing of beauty.)
My last two trucks have had the ReTrax roll up bed cover which have worked wonderfully for me over the last 14 years (7 years with my Tundra and the last 7 with my 2016 Canyon), however they do take up about a one foot square space out of the useable bed space. On the 2022 I'm going to give the BAK Revolver 4Xs Tonneau cover a try, which when open is on top of the bed giving me back some of the space lost with the ReTrax cover. I'm going to loose the ability to lock the cover at any place along the bed rail, but the only time I do that is if I'm transporting 8' lumber or a sheet of plywood and since I'm only driving 6 miles with them I don't think I'll miss that ability after a few trips to the local home center.

·
Registered
805 Posts
“ I do believe a tailgate should have the same weight capacity as the payload of the truck, but no documentation to support that.”. I’m not an expert (in any area really), but I doubt that. The steel might be strong, but the cables and attachment brackets will significantly reduce the strength of the tailgate system.
Also not an expert, just looking at it though the hinges and rope attachment seem quite robust and form a triangle, a naturally strong shape. I don't know what their breaking strength is, but I'd say probably over 600# each which would give a 1200# weight rating, about the working payload of my truck if I'm sitting in it subtracting 200#.

1/4" cabling x2 would provide a 2200# safe load

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I’m going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can at least submit an order for an extended cab and go from there.

And the reason I brought up tailgate weight is Jeep published data on theirs so I wasn’t sure if something existed from GM.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think I’m going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can at least submit an order for an extended cab and go from there.

And the reason I brought up tailgate weight is Jeep published data on theirs so I wasn’t sure if something existed from GM.
If you're looking at an extended cab they all come with the long bed. I'm getting a crew cab and that one only comes with the short bed unless you order it with 4wd. Doesn't make any sense to me, but then I'm not in charge at GM.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Has anyone had any experience they can share about how long it takes GM to accept an order from a dealer? I ordered my 2022 Canyon a little over a week ago and so far when I check I'm finding that GM hasn't accepted the order yet. Could allocations be an issue that the dealer hasn't told me about? Seems logical to me if the dealer sent in a sold order that GM wouldn't wait more than a few days to acknowledge it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had any experience they can share about how long it takes GM to accept an order from a dealer? I ordered my 2022 Canyon a little over a week ago and so far when I check I'm finding that GM hasn't accepted the order yet. Could allocations be an issue that the dealer hasn't told me about? Seems logical to me if the dealer sent in a sold order that GM wouldn't wait more than a few days to acknowledge it.
I ordered a 2022 Crush Orange Colorado Z71 CCSB 4wd this morning and was told it would be ordered as soon as GM allowed and that I probably would not take delivery of the truck for at least 3-4 months. My dealer did have three new Colorados on the lot that had just been delivered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered a Satin Steel Metallic/RWD/LT/Leather/Bose/Duramax on 10-8-2021 from a SoCal dealer and they initially stated 3-4 months as well.
They have 10 allocation spots to play with.
Hopefully before Christmas is my plan. I don't want to waste the $1000 off from Costco that expires Jan. 2nd 2022.

I will keep updates here as I hear anything new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah the dealer told me they’ll put it in as a sold order but did not say when or if GM would accept it. They said maybe 3-4 months as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So dealers around here are getting in 2022’s and one got a Sand Dune Metallic Colorado in so I went and looked at it in person since I haven’t seen one yet. Loved the color, took some pictures. Got home and was looking at the pictures I took and the front bumper piece definitely doesn’t match the rest of the paint. It’s evident in all my pictures and I went online and looked at more pictures and it’s certainly hit and miss. All I know is if that was my truck I’d be like no thanks fix it or I’m not taking delivery. The picture below isn’t the ones I took but it shows the same thing. Once I saw it I can’t unsee it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts