Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Gray Fox 19's Build Thread. The journey begins...

7K views 46 replies 5 participants last post by  Gray Fox 19 
#1 · (Edited)
The beginning; Bone stock;

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

For the right side of the tailgate;

For the upper part of each front fender, right by where the fender meets the door;

I think it's going to look good.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is part of making it your own....
I like the way that you are thinking

Reactions: American Truck
#5 · (Edited)
Great question @probak118 ;

Not trying to come across as a jerk, but, I didn't design them.

They are genuine Chevy badges, albeit not necessarily specific to the Colorado.

That being said, I wasn't that concerned that the colors of all the badging matched, I just wanted them to be Chevy badges & not from another company like Dodge or Toyota.

I think it's all going to tie together pretty well, once I get everything installed.

#6 · (Edited)
Found some front & rear bowtie emblems with red accents that seem to fit the scheme of the other emblems that I ordered, so, I ordered these as well.

Those stock, big gold Chevy bowties had to go.

#10 · (Edited)
Yep, I ordered a bunch of WeatherTech stuff as well;

Hood protector, 1st & 2nd row floor liners, Techliner Bed & Tailgate Mats.

Have a bunch of LED Lights coming too, Hi & Low Beam LED headlights, LED Fog-lights & LED reverse lights.

I think the first couple of items will start trickling in today, while the bulk of the stuff will show-up by Monday evening.

#30 ·
Make sure you periodically remove that and check underneath for paint wear and rust. Moisture and dirt get trapped underneath and create the ideal conditions for rust: dirt causes abrasions that wear through the paint and water starts the rust. I had a drop in liner in one truck and it rotted the bed out after a couple of years and was the last time I ever used a product like that.

#14 ·
If like most everyone else...
Driver Side Front will be annoying to put on.
I don't understand why...
But, I love them anyways

#18 · (Edited)
So Friday afternoon, I added a WeatherTech hood guard, added the emblems that I ordered and got rid of that godforsaken air-dam.

Here are some pics;

BEFORE

AFTER

So the 4x4 emblem is listed as a direct fit replacement for the 2000 -2020 Coloardo, but, it was definitely a little larger than what I was expecting.

I put it on anyway & it has grown on me.

I don't know why a Z71 4x4 would come from the factory without ANY 4x4 badging at all, that makes no sense to me.

Anyway, problem solved.

#21 · (Edited)
I had a Z71 decal on the left rear fender that was crooked from the factory, so, I ordered a new one & replaced it;

BEFORE

AFTER - $87.00 later

I'm glad I fixed it though, it was bothering the crap out of me.

Yeah, I'm that guy....🙄

#23 ·
#25 · (Edited)
I have LED headlights, LED fog lights, LED reverse lights & LED license plate lights, that I still have to install & WeatherTech mud flaps as well.

I hope to get all that done this weekend, then, that will be it for a while.

Will post some before & after pics here, when I finish everything.

#29 · (Edited)
I have LED headlights, LED fog lights, LED reverse lights & LED license plate lights, that I still have to install & WeatherTech mud flaps as well.

I hope to get all that done this weekend, then, that will be it for a while.

Will post some before & after pics here, when I finish everything.
So, the LED license plate lights & LED reverse lights are in.

The Auxito LED headlights (High & Low beams) that I originally ordered, turned out to be too big to fit underneath the factory dust covers and I couldn't get the dust covers back on with those LEDS installed. (It always seems to be something, when I try to work on this truck)

Rather then screwing around with trying to modify the dust-covers, (I did research all of the potential solutions, none of which, I was a fan of) I ordered a different set of LEDS, from Alla Lighting, that are supposed to fit properly, underneath the factory dust covers & they arrived today.

So, this weekend I'm going to swap out the headlights & hopefully the fog-lights to LEDS.

I know the headlights will get done since I've already dug into that project once & know what to expect.

I have not gone into the lower front end (in front of the wheel-wells yet, to get a real good look at the factory fog-lights, so, I don't know if there are any snags waiting for me there, or not......we shall see.

#35 ·
So, my LED High & Low beams from Alla Lighting came in yesterday.

These are supposed to fit under the factory dust covers with no issues - and they also came with anti-flicker harnesses which is great.

The LED fog lights also have their own anti-flicker harnesses.

In my experience with LED's it's always better to have the anti-flicker harnesses, as it eliminates any chance of the LED's flickering and not shutting down properly.

I'll be installing them this weekend, before & after pics will be forthcoming.

#36 · (Edited)
Replaced the battery cover, tackling the LED headlights & fog lights tomorrow;

OLD:

NEW:

These newly added pinch tabs, on the new cover, make it much easier to remove then the old design, in my opinion: Just pinch the 2 tabs and you can take it right off.

#38 ·
So the LED fog lights (which were not Alla Fog Lights) were a bust - I couldn't get them to fit into place properly, so, I ordered another set of fog lights - this time from Alla, so, I'm pretty sure they will fit just fine, when they get here later this week.

Alla's high & low beam head lights were installed successfully today, here are some pics:

Stock halogen low beams:

Alla LED Low Beams:

Alla LED High Beams:

Alla LED Low Beams at Dusk:

Alla LED High Beams at Dusk:

#40 · (Edited)
So I have 2 things going on today;

In my opinion, the factory front tow hooks/loops are inadequate. The opening inside the loops themselves, is quite narrow and they're way too tight, up against the front fascia.

I feel if you ever had to actually use them & hooked a tow chain up to them, there is some very real potential, to do damage to the front fascia.

I also think that the opening in the loops themselves, is somewhat narrow, where it may be pretty tight, to get a larger tow hook inside of them.

My answer to these deficiencies, is Rough Country's D-Ring shackle mounts, which are a bolt-on replacement for the factory tow hooks/loops. I received them yesterday evening and will be putting them in today & adding some nice large shackles to them.

Tow Hook to Shackle Bracket | Chevy Colorado (15-21) | Rough Country

2nd thing is installing my Alla LED fog lights, which should be arriving today - before a after pics will be forthcoming.

#44 · (Edited)
Night & day and in my opinion, this is how Chevy SHOULD have done it from the factory - at least with the Z71s & the ZR2s.

Without that ridiculous air-dam and with the 3/4 inch recovery shackles in the front.

It's much more functional this way, in my opinion.