Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Onstar

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  GarandMan 
#1 ·
Is there any reason I should try to retain onstar on my 2012 Chevy Colorado?

#10 ·
Those three things right there make it worthwhile.
Plus no one mentioned but when my kids were teenagers and would borrow the car I could track their location at all times with my OnStar App!

#6 ·
I took my Onstar module out and tapped into its power supply for a USB plug. Onstar is worthless IMHO.

Always remember if it can track your stolen truck it can track a non-stolen truck too. I know first hand that Onstar can disable a vehicle remotely as well.

Removing the module also provides a handy cubby hole for items you want to keep out of site but relatively easy to access.

#8 ·
I took my Onstar module out and tapped into its power supply for a USB plug. Onstar is worthless IMHO.

Always remember if it can track your stolen truck it can track a non-stolen truck too. I know first hand that Onstar can disable a vehicle remotely as well.

Removing the module also provides a handy cubby hole for items you want to keep out of site but relatively easy to access.
HAHAHA removing it and using its power source!!! Brutal. Hey where is it?, I may look into doing this. But true, the ONLY good thing, ok two things is being able to unlock it when your wife/GF locks the keys in, and getting it back when stolen. To me personally the price they want is not worth the benefit. Oh and the other good thing is IF you are in a major wreck, or say happen to witness one and have no clue where you are.
And yes they DO track you. They acquire your driving habits, locations visited, everything possible and use it for themselves, or sell that data to companies, say insurance companies for example. I find it utterly hilarious how people get so bent about the government tracking them or reading emails, when that same person so willingly gives up so much more to Facebook, Google, Apple.

#7 ·
I have had the misfortune to have been in two significant accidents, one in a 2014 Sierra and the other in a 2016 Canyon, where I t-boned someone who ran a red light, and I did it at speed. In both cases my truck was written off. In both cases OnStar had responders to the scene in jig time - and the second was at night on a country road. Although no injuries were incurred in either case - thanks to air bags and the other crash protection design components of modern vehicles - that kind of response, with someone talking you through things within seconds! of the crash and taking care of the details for you is huge. I am a fan.

If you think this can't happen to you, I never had an accident in the 30 years leading up to the first of these. Yet here we are.

My 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.