Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else received a Colorado without onstar? I just received my 2018 and it had no onstar antenna or button. No sign of onstar. I asked the salesman about it, and he said that is how he ordered it since I had said I did not like it and wished it did not come with it.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
No Onstar means no mobile app.

I would assume you have a base or WT model for no Onstar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just because the vehicle is equipped for it, doesn't mean you have to activate it.
That is exactly what we have done for the past two GM vehicles which we bought: we refused to accept the free trial, and refused to sign the OnStar paperwork when buying the vehicles. That way we never accepted their terms and conditions, which allow them too much access to information about your vehicle (like speed, et cetera). You never know what they might later do with that data.

Accepting the free trial is a poison pill, because of agreeing to their terms and conditions of letting them access your data.

Nevertheless, I look forward to the day when OnStar goes belly-up.

P.S. Oh, also I would rather not even have the OnStar hardware in the vehicle. Even though I will refuse to accept their free trial, and refuse to agree to their terms and conditions, the hardware will be in there anyway. They could still fraudulently access the data without permission (that would be illegal, but they could do it). I would rather just not have the hardware in the vehicle, then I would know they aren't going to be able to gather data on me.

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
I have Onstar and signed up for it in hopes it would record my driving habits and design a better over all vehicle.
Other then that, probably will never use it, except to start my truck while walking back from hunting so the heated seats will be hot by the time I get there.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
So why is it that everyone seems to be afraid or hate of onstar? I dont get why.. maybe i just dont see it.. I know that I havent paid for any thing past the free trial, but Ive considered activating it every once in a while.. It does actually help with insurance costs as well.. or if you have the vehicle stolen, they can atleast FIND it.. (they dont do **** about it other than say we found it but still...) or worse you crash and it alerts somebody you had a major accident... In some ways I like the idea... but other times yeah i do find it a bit.... ugh

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My OnStar radio seems to have fallen off.

I would have gone the tin-foil hat route but the grounding wire was too long for these frequencies.

In the interest of completeness:
Another member had pointed out that a change in connection at the coax mixer (Front of passenger foot well) is required to allow NAV to continue functioning.
The blue connector at top of the mixer needs to move to center position. Pink on center dangles unplugged. You need to file the key tab off the center mixer connector to allow that connection. Don't file the latch tab, identical on all 3 by mistake.

Background info:
The two coax connectors on the OnStar board above are Cellular RF and shared GPS data/power. The shared data/power normally routes to the pink connector on the mixer. This feeds 5.5Vdc to the GPS reciever in the antenna (bottom mixer connector) and data back to the OnStar board.
The HMI also sources power (5.0Vdc) but the top mixer port is DC blocked. Connecting the blue coax connector to the center mixer port allows the HMI to power the GPS reciever while recieving GPS data.
The pink coax to mixer can dangle as it dead ends near the comm module without the OnStar radio.

There are posts with pictures elsewhere on this board. The compass will display "CAL" as that calculation is based on GPS signal to the OnStar board. Nav is otherwise handled by the HMI and all fully functional. Pics in my diesel mpg posts show CAL on the display. The cell phone app obviously will no longer start/stop/lock/unlock.

This no doubt gives dealers another reason to argue but I really prefer my truck stay off the www.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.