Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an FYI if interested unless some one has got it cheaper. I'm an old fart that travels by myself so I bought this pkg. last year just for peace of mind in case something was to happen and my 2019 Colorado truck doesn't have navigation so I can use theirs. Last year they wanted $299.00 for a year and I haggled them to $229.90 and got it. This year wasn't going to even get it just by a GPS for navigation ( I have a flip phone so no help there) Any way saw on there website a special at $199.90. Out of curiosity called them and after getting past first person I talked to to a supervisor telling him I hardly used it any way but wouldn't pay that price either he said he'd do it for $149.90 thats an $80.00 savings from last year so I went ahead and got it. I don't use Sirius/XM any more but you can get great deals with them if you haggle with them for way way less then they say it cost.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
They price their stuff like TV/cable channel plans. They know what you REALLY want and keep those things in the higher tiers.
Until they give me a real cafeteria plan for a decent rate so I'm not paying for things I don't want, I'm out.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The standard price is a ridiculous joke. I bought the emergency response for the wife's Subaru because it's only $99 a year without haggling. I suspect GM would have a lot more sales and make a lot more money with a lower price.

Thanks for the tip, but I have no desire to add a second company that I have to haggle with every year or two (the cable company being the other).

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I bought my truck, I thought it had navigation in it. According to the salesman, first mistake, he said it did. Drove truck, liked it, didn't turn on any of the infotainment stuff, because I really don't care about Pandora, or looking at a crap load of apps, even though the Nav. app. was on the home screen, so I took it for granted Nav. was installed, mistake again on my part. Then after purchase, sales guy gets me logged in to OnStar and I ask him about the Nav. function and he says I have to get my turn-by-turn directions thru OnStar! WTH! I was pissed! So I use to use a Garmin Nuvi in my 04' Jeep Rubicon, so I'm still using that when I trip with the truck. I wish G.M. would dump OnStar and use a system like my wife's 13' Ford Escape had, that Nav. system was fantastic, in my opinion. I'm not one to use my phone for extended lengths of time. I use my phone to "make calls"and I sure as heck not googling crap as I'm driving down the road, just too much of an "old school" kind of guy, I guess. Wife is always haggling with them, considering how much we don't use it. Good luck, however you decide to get it done. O.D.:cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I bought my truck, I thought it had navigation in it. According to the salesman, first mistake, he said it did. Drove truck, liked it, didn't turn on any of the infotainment stuff, because I really don't care about Pandora, or looking at a crap load of apps, even though the Nav. app. was on the home screen, so I took it for granted Nav. was installed, mistake again on my part. Then after purchase, sales guy gets me logged in to OnStar and I ask him about the Nav. function and he says I have to get my turn-by-turn directions thru OnStar! WTH! I was pissed! So I use to use a Garmin Nuvi in my 04' Jeep Rubicon, so I'm still using that when I trip with the truck. I wish G.M. would dump OnStar and use a system like my wife's 13' Ford Escape had, that Nav. system was fantastic, in my opinion. I'm not one to use my phone for extended lengths of time. I use my phone to "make calls"and I sure as heck not googling crap as I'm driving down the road, just too much of an "old school" kind of guy, I guess. Wife is always haggling with them, considering how much we don't use it. Good luck, however you decide to get it done. O.D.:cool:
Android Auto is the answer for most of your concerns above - from my perspective.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would agree. It's better than any built in system I've seen, and they don't charge for updates. The built in systems tend to be expensive to keep up to date.
I do have the MyChevrolet app right now - as I just bought my truck - with the remote start, unlock and other features from your phone. I like that - but alas you have to have OnStar to keep all of that active.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
As the 5 year period for MyChev/MyGMC remote start/unlock/horn/lights functions on the app for the first wave of owners ends, we will probably start to see more posts like this.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
but do you not have to have WIFi for Android or Apple to work efectively?
You have to have a data plan on your phone, not technically wifi. You can download map areas to your phone, but I don't find that works too well for navigation. If you get off course it can take it forever to figure out a new route. Also, having traffic data can save your butt.

BTW, T-Mobile has some pretty good rates for people over 55 on two line plans. Only one of the two lines needs to be for someone over 55. I'm grandfathered into a cheaper "Unlimited" over 55 plan--they only offered one option back when I signed up. It costs little more than their cheapest "essentials" plan does now. I've been very happy with their service and their coverage, but coverage may vary by area. They are great when visiting in Canada, and have free coverage in lots of countries.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As the 5 year period for MyChev/MyGMC remote start/unlock/horn/lights functions on the app for the first wave of owners ends, we will probably start to see more posts like this.
You mean people in the past got five years of the remote functions via the MyChevrolet app for free for 5 years?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You mean people in the past got five years of the remote functions via the MyChevrolet app for free for 5 years?
Original owners got that deal. Not sure how Onstar worked for used Twins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have unlimited data as well as most probably do at this point...
Likely true in the US but in Canada they screw us royally for cell plans. The major carriers cheapest plans are $80/mo for 10Gb plus any payment plans for the phones and that was only recently a thing, before that it was 75 for 4Gb. It's brutal. /rant

·
Registered
46 Posts
Likely true in the US but in Canada they screw us royally for cell plans. The major carriers cheapest plans are $80/mo for 10Gb plus any payment plans for the phones and that was only recently a thing, before that it was 75 for 4Gb. It's brutal. /rant
That is very brutal based on your examples. I had no idea it was that different up there. $75 - $80 a month is way more than I pay for unlimited here...

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
I bought my 2016 Colorado in September of 2015 and it came with the My Link nav system which is free for 5 years. I will see what they are going to try to charge me, come next September. I don't pay for Onstar now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought my 2016 Colorado in September of 2015 and it came with the My Link nav system which is free for 5 years. I will see what they are going to try to charge me, come next September. I don't pay for Onstar now.
So you mention "nav system"... I'm talking about the app on your phone that let's you remote start, lock, unlock, truck locate, tire pressure, etc... I guess to work it has to use and access OnStar.... Which I think Chevy did it to drive OnStar sales...

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
So you mention "nav system"... I'm talking about the app on your phone that let's you remote start, lock, unlock, truck locate, tire pressure, etc... I guess to work it has to use and access OnStar.... Which I think Chevy did it to drive OnStar sales...
Yeah, I never got that. I hate having to make monthly payments to OnStar after buying a brand new truck from Chevy. The truck location feature would be nice, but all the rest I don't think I would use. I can already start my truck from three stories up in my house. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to make some kinda payment after five years to keep using the MyLink Nav system. Or just switch to another Nav system.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is very brutal based on your examples. I had no idea it was that different up there. $75 - $80 a month is way more than I pay for unlimited here...
Yup, we get hosed...

Android Auto works well but has its own issues... I hate the amount of privacy you need to give up in order for the Google assistant to work properly. I'm also the type that keeps location services (GPS) off unless I actually need it. This means I need to turn GPS on every time I want to use maps. I'm an ex Windows Phone user and would have bought another if MS didn't bail on them... Google makes money off of ad revenue and selling your info. I hate it but it was either Android or iPhone and my jeans aren't skinny enough for Apple products.

Back on topic... I have used OnStar in the past on other vehicles and it does work well if you like have an assistant available at the touch of a button. Hit the button, tell them where you want to go, and they can put directions right into the NAV screen. They can also book you hotel rooms and make dinner reservations. I don't need those services but I can see the appeal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, I never got that. I hate having to make monthly payments to OnStar after buying a brand new truck from Chevy. The truck location feature would be nice, but all the rest I don't think I would use. I can already start my truck from three stories up in my house. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to make some kinda payment after five years to keep using the MyLink Nav system. Or just switch to another Nav system.
Because your year does not have Android Auto or Apple Car Play.... Correct?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts