Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
During my free trial of Onstar my power steering went out. Figured I would try roadside assistance since I was out of town and in Canada to boot. Lady wasn't helpful at all. Told me to drive (hello, power steering is out completely lady) to a store several miles away and put fluid in it (it's an EPS system...so no go). Called Chevy roadside and was quickly hooked up with a rental, tow truck and dealer to make the repairs. Might be nice for the peace of mind knowing crash response would be quick, but 9 times out of 10, somebody will be nearby to help out or call 911. The situation I had was one I could have made tow/dealer/rental calls myself, but wanted to see how service was from onstar and chevy roadside. I got my answers...

·
Registered
22 Posts
The phone equipment installed by GM/Onstar in my truck operates at a higher power than my cell does. Typical portable cell phone operates at 0.6 watts, the installed Onstar phone operates closer to the maximum allowed 3.0 watts. The antenna for the Onstar phone is located on top of the roof, the antenna for the portable cell is inside the cab wherever I happen to have it laying/held at the moment.

For most urban environments, that won't matter as the 0.6 and portable antenna are at least, if not more than, adequate for the nearby cell tower. But that doesn't work so well when you're 20 miles away from the paved road and the next nearest house -- or sometimes when you're only 5 miles from those places.

More than once I've been able to call home from next to a trail in the woods when I couldn't get any signal on the pocket model. I've also sat in a campsite in the desert in Nevada and shared my Onstar phone for check-ins at home when no one in the group could get a signal from any portable when the carriers were Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.

For many, maybe even most people, that won't matter but for my uses, it does.

The better Canada/USA rates are gravy on top.

(In the interest of painting a full picture, this is belts and suspenders kind of logic as I usually travel with CB, HAM, portable cell, Onstar phone and a satellite rescue device -SPOT).

Curious to know what kind of range you get when you set your phone to make Wifi calls and run it though the radio. Does the truck's Wifi use the same antenna or is there a separate one somewhere inside the radio just for the Wifi?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I hate OnStar. As others have posted, they are monitoring your vehicle, sharing data about you with dealers plus whomever they decide. I opted to refuse service and it's written on my sales contracts, and I still get the emails with vehicle use data.

One of these days when I'm not busy I'm going to research the laws on data privacy and give them a call to see if they can be persuaded to stop pinging my truck.
The salesperson made a mistake then. You can absolutely opt out of OnStar; it's just a box you check for "decline."

·
Registered
19 Posts
The salesperson made a mistake then. You can absolutely opt out of OnStar; it's just a box you check for "decline."
Thank, Eric, I'm sure it's possible, but it sure isn't easy. One reason I'm peevish about this is I already called OnStar as soon as I realized what happened and instructed them to immediately terminate my service. Got a confirmation number from the rep and it all sounded so easy. But the emails and reports keep coming. One day when I have some time and patience I'll take another run at them.

I also speculate that GM connects to the vehicles of non- subscribers anyway and collects data. Probably all I'll succeed in stopping is the information reporting back to me. Customers have no access to turn the communications on or off. Google and Apple give users access to turn data collection on and off. GM should put that same control in the hands of end users and give us an off button.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, another one here who never even activated it. The emails and phone calls have finally stopped.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I did a search and found practically no discussion of Onstar on this site. I guess this must be a truck forum!

I made the mistake of giving them a credit card number for two free months of service, and cancelled today before the first month was even up. Apparently not many people do that based on the reaction of the guy on the phone. He thought it odd I'd want to give up over two months of service where they'd call if I got into an accident. But the email marketing and letters were getting to me--I just want it to stop! I might be more sensitive because I've also been going through that with satellite radio for the Subaru and now the Colorado.

About the only thing I even tried was the hotspot, and it was very slow even in a good signal area.

Anyway, is Onstar as unpopular as the search results indicate? Or is it just such a flawless service that it never gets mentioned?
Is just a redundant service and is not cheap. Todays cellphones does a way better job by giving GPS Nav and many other cool features including Hot Spot service. Why bother with OnStar?

Rented a Chrysler Minivan, drove 3000 miles and used my Cell Hot Spot and Sat Nav on a spare Samsung Note 4 connected to my cell phone wifi, worked flawlessly. Beside, roads are marked pretty well, used the GPS to navigate on the city.

The only thing that is a nice to have is the phone application for remote start and open doors. Other than that, service/maintenance is provided by the DIC.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thank, Eric, I'm sure it's possible, but it sure isn't easy. One reason I'm peevish about this is I already called OnStar as soon as I realized what happened and instructed them to immediately terminate my service. Got a confirmation number from the rep and it all sounded so easy. But the emails and reports keep coming. One day when I have some time and patience I'll take another run at them.

I also speculate that GM connects to the vehicles of non- subscribers anyway and collects data. Probably all I'll succeed in stopping is the information reporting back to me. Customers have no access to turn the communications on or off. Google and Apple give users access to turn data collection on and off. GM should put that same control in the hands of end users and give us an off button.
It should be as simple as pushing the OnStar button or calling 1-888-4OnStar and letting the advisor know that the salesperson consented for you but you do not consent to the data collection or services from OnStar. They're legally required to stop. Let me know if you need help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The phone equipment installed by GM/Onstar in my truck operates at a higher power than my cell does. Typical portable cell phone operates at 0.6 watts, the installed Onstar phone operates closer to the maximum allowed 3.0 watts. The antenna for the Onstar phone is located on top of the roof, the antenna for the portable cell is inside the cab wherever I happen to have it laying/held at the moment.

For most urban environments, that won't matter as the 0.6 and portable antenna are at least, if not more than, adequate for the nearby cell tower. But that doesn't work so well when you're 20 miles away from the paved road and the next nearest house -- or sometimes when you're only 5 miles from those places.

More than once I've been able to call home from next to a trail in the woods when I couldn't get any signal on the pocket model. I've also sat in a campsite in the desert in Nevada and shared my Onstar phone for check-ins at home when no one in the group could get a signal from any portable when the carriers were Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.

For many, maybe even most people, that won't matter but for my uses, it does.

The better Canada/USA rates are gravy on top.

(In the interest of painting a full picture, this is belts and suspenders kind of logic as I usually travel with CB, HAM, portable cell, Onstar phone and a satellite rescue device -SPOT).
I'm curious to know what kind of range you get if you set your phone up for Wifi Calling and then connect to the truck's Wifi. Does the Wifi use the same antenna as Onstar or is there a separate one for it inside the radio?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It should be as simple as pushing the OnStar button or calling 1-888-4OnStar and letting the advisor know that the salesperson consented for you but you do not consent to the data collection or services from OnStar. They're legally required to stop. Let me know if you need help.
Well, it's not quite so simple, at least in my situation. I have the truck on my AT&T account for unlimited data access for the wifi hotspot. Emphasis here on AT&T account. I purchase this service directly through AT&T. I get a bill from AT&T.

When I called the OnStar mothership today to tell them to disconnect me, they explained that they really don't have any method to do this, other than killing my AT&T account. In their view AT&T is their "partner" and I can't have a relationship with one and not include the other.

I'll have no further comment on this matter in this space. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had it for the 6 mo trial and canceled. Way too expensive and get $0 value. Now I have the 5 year basic plan and hardly even use the app for that.

Also anyone else get in the truck and sometimes the recorded chick comes overs the speakers "this vehicle is connected to limited services" creeps me out.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
This may be related to this topic, and if not I'm not sure what topic it would go in.

About 20-40 percent of the time I start the vehicle I get these annoying consent to three things (e.g. their privacy policy), one of which has my name misspelled but edit doesn't fix that, where I'm supposed to check the boxes. If you decline it gives you a vague warning, and if you accept it seems happy until the next time it pops up. Is there anyway to stop this?

Also, related to this post, I think I may opt for the AT&T data option on a monthly basis when I go trailering, just so I have a second source of Internet, which I need for business use. $25 doesn't seem too bad for piece of mind, but I'll have to remember to cancel it before the month is up each time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One use of the myChevrolet App is the ability to turn off the hot spot. It's counterintuitive as you have to tap on "Wi-Fi Hotspot Upgrade Now" to get to a screen that allows you to disable the hotspot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No need for it and think it is waste of time and money. It is just another way to collect data to sell and make millions off of us after buying their product. Never provided credit card or setup trial period and still received weekly emails and paper mailings.

Called On-Star and had them completely remove my vehicle from their system and to remove any vehicle/engine tracking. Funny thing the agent on the phone kept stating they don't track and finally admitted they did.

·
Registered
485 Posts
can the on star unit be unplugged from the vehicle?
It's been done by someone on here.
There is a write up, it involves opening the communication module in the cab of the truck and removing a module. The module had some other purposes that were desirable so removing the entire thing was not feasible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had it for the 6 mo trial and canceled. Way too expensive and get $0 value. Now I have the 5 year basic plan and hardly even use the app for that.
I would use it more often except parking at work is 2 floors underground, so it doesn't work down there and at home is in my attached garage, so not really needed.

Also anyone else get in the truck and sometimes the recorded chick comes overs the speakers "this vehicle is connected to limited services" creeps me out.
Never had that one happen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, it's not quite so simple, at least in my situation. I have the truck on my AT&T account for unlimited data access for the wifi hotspot. Emphasis here on AT&T account. I purchase this service directly through AT&T. I get a bill from AT&T.

When I called the OnStar mothership today to tell them to disconnect me, they explained that they really don't have any method to do this, other than killing my AT&T account. In their view AT&T is their "partner" and I can't have a relationship with one and not include the other.

I'll have no further comment on this matter in this space. Caveat emptor.

Well you got me there. I have ATT cell service as well but I’ve never set it up with ATT direct. I’ll try to find an answer for you tomorrow.

-Eric

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had it for the 6 month trial. It was ok. Never used it much. My signal in it was fantastic. The hot spot worked great. I've often wondered if i should have kept it for when I'm way out in the middle of nowhere camping? That's why i did opt for the Nav in my truck. A lot of times, where I'm at, there is no cell service at all. And the Nav gets me home from the woods every time.

Also, i can still unlock and start the truck without the service with the Chevy App.

And honestly, if its "tracking" me. Who cares? What do i have to hide? Yea yea, privacy... blah blah blah... When you're on the road, there is no privacy. Anyone can look up your licence plate number and have tons of info on you. Sure, they most likely are not selling it, but why be so paranoid about it?

I get like one email a month, maybe, asking me to return. That's it. Why is that so bad?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I had it for the 6 month trial. It was ok. Never used it much. My signal in it was fantastic. The hot spot worked great. I've often wondered if i should have kept it for when I'm way out in the middle of nowhere camping?
I'm pretty sure you can sign up for $25 a month and then cancel. So the trip would cost you $25.

I think they also have a bucket of data you can buy for $150, but I'm not sure when it expires.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
46 Participants
timlitw
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing