Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had Onstar active in my 2008 for the 9 years I owned it, primarily for the phone.

At least once per year, they asked for feedback from customers. Every time I mentioned that the pricing was on the high side for the services offered and required real thought before I renewed each year.

Their response seems to be adding more bundled in (that I don't especially care about) at higher price.

The current offering has allowed some split though. I now have the minimum data package for $10 per month and get the phone (although the phone has less features --no memory numbers, for example) and have not tested out its remote area workings. It did -- and still does-- offer same price for minutes used in USA and Canada unlike my (or wife's) cellphones.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I really enjoyed the wifi trial. The signal was very good in northern Ontario. That's the only feature I used.

I cancelled 1 or 2 months early, and the CSR could hardly understand why I would do that. lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd pay a nominal fee of something like $50/yr to use the app, but that is it. The ability to remote start and lock/unlock the car from the app along with diagnostics is nice. Other than that, nothing I am interested in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run the wifi and I have been happy with it. It has been nice a couple times having that signal when I don't have signal on my cell phone (Google Fi [T-mobile, US Cellular, and Sprint]).

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I had Onstar active in my 2008 for the 9 years I owned it, primarily for the phone.

At least once per year, they asked for feedback from customers. Every time I mentioned that the pricing was on the high side for the services offered and required real thought before I renewed each year.

Their response seems to be adding more bundled in (that I don't especially care about) at higher price.

The current offering has allowed some split though. I now have the minimum data package for $10 per month and get the phone (although the phone has less features --no memory numbers, for example) and have not tested out its remote area workings. It did -- and still does-- offer same price for minutes used in USA and Canada unlike my (or wife's) cellphones.
I'm just curious, what does Onstar give for your phone that I don't get for free with My Link? My truck can see all my contacts and dial by voice commands and tell me when I'm getting a text. I'm curious as to why you pay Onstar for your phone and what features you get? Is it because of crossing the Canadian border?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I run the wifi and I have been happy with it. It has been nice a couple times having that signal when I don't have signal on my cell phone (Google Fi [T-mobile, US Cellular, and Sprint]).
That's the one thing I might be interested in when I travel, because I don't have AT&T as my cell phone carrier. I need to talk to them, but I think they have a quantity of data you can buy for $150, which is a horrible price but I don't think it expires. That's what I need to check on.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
plenty of onstar talk now and then
you either love it or hate it. same with sirius

i never used either one. hadnt needed anything like that in 40 years why start now?

go on-line and turn it off.

sirius will call every other month or so. block their number!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have OnStar for both of my vehicles and will continue to use it. My son uses the Wifi hotspot in the vehicle for his tablet. My better half was rear-ended by a vehicle going 45 while she was stopped waiting to turn left into our driveway. She was dazed and confused and OnStar was on the horn immediately. When she said she was a little confused and there was smoke in the vehicle they already had the emergency personnel on the way. Police, ambulance, and fire were on the scene in less than 5 minutes. That was during the free trial. What would have happened if she was knocked unconscious and the vehicle was on fire? I'll pay for peace of mind any day.

Obviously not trying to persuade anyone to use a service they don't want, but when somebody tells me that her accident was a fluke and not an every day occurrence, she was rear ended 2 months later in the loaner turning on a protected green arrow by a Tahoe not paying any attention.

Also I like my remote start app.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just use your phone as a hot spot and save the cash.
Yes that works best--assuming your carrier has coverage in the area. As I mentioned, AT&T is not my carrier, so it would give me a second chance at coverage. And if your phone does voice over wifi you could make and receive calls with the AT&T hotspot even if out of your carrier's coverage area.

I was once trying to do business in Southern Idaho, just west of Craters of the Moon park. Trying to find a place with coverage was tough. I don't remember what carrier I had then, but it wasn't AT&T.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm just curious, what does Onstar give for your phone that I don't get for free with My Link? My truck can see all my contacts and dial by voice commands and tell me when I'm getting a text. I'm curious as to why you pay Onstar for your phone and what features you get? Is it because of crossing the Canadian border?
The phone equipment installed by GM/Onstar in my truck operates at a higher power than my cell does. Typical portable cell phone operates at 0.6 watts, the installed Onstar phone operates closer to the maximum allowed 3.0 watts. The antenna for the Onstar phone is located on top of the roof, the antenna for the portable cell is inside the cab wherever I happen to have it laying/held at the moment.

For most urban environments, that won't matter as the 0.6 and portable antenna are at least, if not more than, adequate for the nearby cell tower. But that doesn't work so well when you're 20 miles away from the paved road and the next nearest house -- or sometimes when you're only 5 miles from those places.

More than once I've been able to call home from next to a trail in the woods when I couldn't get any signal on the pocket model. I've also sat in a campsite in the desert in Nevada and shared my Onstar phone for check-ins at home when no one in the group could get a signal from any portable when the carriers were Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.

For many, maybe even most people, that won't matter but for my uses, it does.

The better Canada/USA rates are gravy on top.

(In the interest of painting a full picture, this is belts and suspenders kind of logic as I usually travel with CB, HAM, portable cell, Onstar phone and a satellite rescue device -SPOT).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hate OnStar. As others have posted, they are monitoring your vehicle, sharing data about you with dealers plus whomever they decide. I opted to refuse service and it's written on my sales contracts, and I still get the emails with vehicle use data.

One of these days when I'm not busy I'm going to research the laws on data privacy and give them a call to see if they can be persuaded to stop pinging my truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I was shopping for my truck I opted for the WT when I saw they were now coming with a 7" touch screen with Android Auto support. I didn't see the point in paying for the better radio if I was just going to be running the AA app the whole time. The Wifi might be nice as a way to keep from eating through my phone's data, and there are some obvious benefits to the auto crash response, but that's about it.

That said, I am trying to find out if it's possible to add the rear usb's to the center console and maybe front steering wheel controls the LT's have.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It's just there so GM can track you and bug your truck. I tore the OnStar equipment out of my truck. Best thing I ever did.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
46 Participants
timlitw
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing