Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found practically no discussion of Onstar on this site. I guess this must be a truck forum!

I made the mistake of giving them a credit card number for two free months of service, and cancelled today before the first month was even up. Apparently not many people do that based on the reaction of the guy on the phone. He thought it odd I'd want to give up over two months of service where they'd call if I got into an accident. But the email marketing and letters were getting to me--I just want it to stop! I might be more sensitive because I've also been going through that with satellite radio for the Subaru and now the Colorado.

About the only thing I even tried was the hotspot, and it was very slow even in a good signal area.

Anyway, is Onstar as unpopular as the search results indicate? Or is it just such a flawless service that it never gets mentioned?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I turned it off after 2 months too. The free version is nice to be able to remote start with the myChevy app, but that's about it. I hate the hotspot, and want to find a way to turn it off when I have time. Turning it off in the Infotainment settings does nothing. It still tries to connect to anything withing range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm currently in the trial period myself and plan to cancel it before they charge my card. I agree with nvblue, the only thing I'm going to miss is being able to start my car with via the app......and Alexa, just cause it causes my wife to roll her eyes at me.

Even if I didn't have the navigation package, I don't see a need for onstar's turn by turn directions with Apple carplay and Android auto available.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's really not a useful offering with all of the tech apps with voice command these days. Especially for $23/mo. Theft recovery is nice, but could also be offered on an as-needed basis... like an insurance deductible, $200 or so. I'd gladly pay it for that, but not monthly for the off chance. If I was that concerned, there are other passive GPS offerings to do the same for far less and are usefully trackable any other time. The other concierge services are just too easy to handle otherwise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These days paranoia is off the chain and so you know big brother is watching seems to be the general mentality. Could be true, but I am not going to rip it out of my vehicle. LOL I did the trial and as others said the Wifi is horrid. I do like the FOB service and crash protection/theft, but not enough to subscribe beyond the trial. I too made the mistake of providing a credit card as they extended me by 2 months free to do that. However, I have since swap that card out for a vanity card that has $10 and expires in 30 days, which is beyond the renewal, so good luck charging that credit card. I do plan to cancel, but the fees for the service is ridiculous.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Before Onstar switched over to AT&T, there was actual usefulness in their high-powered cellular equipment on the CDMA network. Chance of placing a call in a rural, low-signal area with Onstar was really good, much better than with typical handheld cellular phones. Same with trying to get data service...could often get data with Onstar where my cell phone couldn't.

Now OnStar signal is crappy just like everything else on ATT networks and that really ruined it for me.

Onstar navigation service IMO is a joke in the day of Google Maps, Apple Maps, and CarPlay.

The rest of it is alright- Fob commands, diagnostics, but not something I'm really interested in paying $20/month for.

The one good thing is automatic crash response.... Then again, if you caused the accident, you can't throw OnStar out the window, so they're calling the cops anyhow!!! lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have never activated Onstar either.

Onstar, a built in GPS (in any car or truck) and even GM's hotspot are nearly useless.

My phone, which is not the latest greatest smart phone on the market can do everything onstar and the GPS can do and sometimes even better. For example, after paying a whopping 10 bucks for the Co-Pilot app on my phone it updates for free. GM charges for such updates. Oh and any smart phone manufactured within the last 8 to 10 years has a wi-fi hotspot app preinstalled. Why do I need it built into my vehicle?

I personally think it is so it can call the mothership from time to time without our knowledge.

If I could have I would have ordered my truck without Onstar or the wi-fi hotspot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did the same thing. I cancelled my trial period before it was barely a month into it. The guy was sort of snippy with me about cancelling. I told him the service sucked and I was tired of my streaming music service buffering all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Purchased 3 new Chevys in the last three years never purchased ONSTAR ! Reason: Price of service is too high for what they provide. I use android play for navigation for free Hate all the junk mail and calls from gm trying to sell me ONSTAR and other services Wish GM would work as hard to fix know issues with their produces as they do to sell outdated services !!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I canceled after the trial period. FYI, they did tell my you can just turn it on if you are going on a trip and then turn it back off. To do this you push the onstar button twice. I could see maybe doing then when heading on a long trip with my kids. Ad hoc is the only way I would pay for it though, way to expensive for a monthly subscription.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FYI, for those who purchased their vehicle after I believe May, 2018, the app to lock/unlock/start isn't available after the trial unless you continue with Onstar for a fee.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have never activated Onstar either.

I personally think it is so it can call the mothership from time to time without our knowledge.
Same here. My truck is over 4 years old and never subscribed to Onstar from day 1.
It is parked in the garage over the winter months and take it out every few weeks for a tour around the block to warm it up and keep things lubricated.

I can confirm that each and every time I do so within a half hour I receive a detailed email and status report on the vehicle tire pressures, etc.

There is a phone number assigned to the vehicles that never goes away and it does call home to the mother ship. I even get correspondence from the dealer indicating they want my truck in as a trade due to low mileage and excellent condition. So, yes they are tracking you whether you like it or not. No charge of course!..:frown2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I keep On Star on both my Camaro and the Colorado. If I'm away fishing a tournament I feel better knowing that she has some response if she gets in an accident. The same with AAA.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
46 Participants
timlitw
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing