Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 LT1 Offroad edition. It has the onboard GPS with a database chip.

When I go to the Chevy website to see about updating the GPS database, it tells me it's current. Two years old? Current? I think not.

I've looked on the site here but didn't find an answer. How do I get an update?

Thanks.
Pk.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You have to take it to a dealership and have them do it. Don’t quote me on this, but I think it’s $200ish. Get android auto or apple CarPlay and call it good.

Reactions: Iamscotticus

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
As far as GM is concerned, it's current. They only publish an update every couple of years or so.

When a new one does come out, it should be a simple matter of pulling the old one out, and plugging the new one in. That's the theory, anyway. ;)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have a 2019 LT1 Offroad edition. It has the onboard GPS with a database chip.

When I go to the Chevy website to see about updating the GPS database, it tells me it's current. Two years old? Current? I think not.

I've looked on the site here but didn't find an answer. How do I get an update?

Thanks.
Pk.
I have a 2017 lt with nav, I purchased the updated 2020 map when it was on-sale. It takes 45 min to an hour to update while the truck idles. Says not to drive... I have 8" bose whatever stereo. Not sure it's the same for you. No way to update my navigation through the truck via a download. It was like $100. Kind of steep but I figure I can do this every 2 or 3 years. Yes I know I can use my phone but can't always in rural areas
You Could always buy a Garmin for secondary nav cheaper. Which I also have but my wife likes to keep it in her car.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Yes I know I can use my phone but can't always in rural areas
You Could always buy a Garmin for secondary nav cheaper
You can download areas onto your phone with Google Maps. That will get you through an area without cell coverage, but you might not be able to start a route when in such an area.

There are also programs you can download to your phone like Sygic, but those don't work with Android Auto to display on the vehicle screen (that may soon be changing however--I think Google may be opening up Android Auto). That also has the disadvantage of not being backup if your smartphone is lost or doesn't function.

And as you mention, a cheap Garmin is an option. I think they now have free updates, but I haven't owned one for about 10 years, so I'm not sure.

With all those options I don't see the point of even having built in GPS, or paying for updates if you do.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You can download areas onto your phone with Google Maps. That will get you through an area without cell coverage, but you might not be able to start a route when in such an area.

There are also programs you can download to your phone like Sygic, but those don't work with Android Auto to display on the vehicle screen (that may soon be changing however--I think Google may be opening up Android Auto). That also has the disadvantage of not being backup if your smartphone is lost or doesn't function.

And as you mention, a cheap Garmin is an option. I think they now have free updates, but I haven't owned one for about 10 years, so I'm not sure.

With all those options I don't see the point of even having built in GPS, or paying for updates if you do.
I like the integration. And like you said, lost stolen or forgotten cell phone... it can come handy. Orrrr if you're like me and left your phone on bedside in the middle of a town while on a visit a state away from home then drove off only to double back to find it smashed and ran over two intersections over from where you were parked and started driving from and need to find the nearest att store to buy a new phone, it can come in handy. Ooops. That day sucked.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Also yeah most now come with free updates. Refurbs are cheap. And the Garmin shows roads that Google maps and the truck nav hasn't in the past. Been awhile since I've adventured in that sort of situation though.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I like the integration. And like you said, lost stolen or forgotten cell phone... it can come handy. Orrrr if you're like me and left your phone on bedside in the middle of a town while on a visit a state away from home then drove off only to double back to find it smashed and ran over two intersections over from where you were parked and started driving from and need to find the nearest att store to buy a new phone, it can come in handy. Ooops. That day sucked.
On the other hand, Android Auto helps ensure you bring your phone with you---a far more likely problem in my case. I've never lost a phone (knock wood) or have one quit on me while away from the house (knock wood). But before Google Maps I would frequently forget my phone.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
On the other hand, Android Auto helps ensure you bring your phone with you---a far more likely problem in my case. I've never lost a phone (knock wood) or have one quit on me while away from the house (knock wood). But before Google Maps I would frequently forget my phone.
I don't feel the need to always have my phone plugged in for aa. When I did that (story about my phone) that was after 25 miles of Ashland mtn biking. I was pooped met my with at lithia Park and she drove us off after I sat on the tailgate for awhile. In either event I get what you're saying.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I wonder if the dongle can be used on multiple vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts