Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I like to kayak. When it's just me and no wife/kids I can huck them in the back under the tonneau cover and be gone.

When it's me , the wife and 2 kids and all of our camping gear that area is full. Heck the tonneau cover is advertised as holding 400 pounds so there will likely even be a bit on there too.

Sooo, I want to get a cheap rack that is only on the truck about 5 or 6 times a year. For 149.99CAD I found this gem: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/500-lb-cargo-truck-rack/A-p8291528e

I've seen it on a neighbors truck. It'll do the job just fine.

Here's the question:

I have a REV Industries Folding tonneau cover, it is mounted inside my bedrails flush with the top. My bed rails are fully exposed on the top.

The rack I've linked has flat bars on the bottom that go on top of the bed rails. I'm _guessing_ the idea is that you bolt them to your bed rails... after putting holes in them. I hate that idea and would love to come up with an alternative.

ALSO: the flat bars are an L shape, designed to rest against the inside of the bed. That will not be possible with the tonneau cover. So i could cut off the part that goes down the side, but that will risk stability.

So I'm looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention, welding is an option.

I could weld a flat bar between the front and back such that it is one unit. Then all i have to do is rig up something to secure the posts in the holes properly, and the long flat bar will take care of any fore/aft flex.

At work we call it "Rubber Ducking" when you answer a question by talking to your self. Looks like I might have just done that.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Given their location, and lack of a front to rear connection, I would attempt to fab up something utilizing a mounting base coming up out of the stake pockets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting idea.

And speaking of stake pockets: I'm a total truck noob. Like I've owned a truck for a bit over a week now.

What is the deal with them? Is there a standard system for securing things in them? I can't exact get access to the underneath of them so I've no concept of how they work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting idea.

And speaking of stake pockets: I'm a total truck noob. Like I've owned a truck for a bit over a week now.

What is the deal with them? Is there a standard system for securing things in them? I can't exact get access to the underneath of them so I've no concept of how they work.
"If" I end up purchasing a kayak, my plan was to use the stake pockets to fab up a rack out of 2x4s. Inside the bed there is a hole that runs straight through the pockets, you can stick a 2x4 in there and shoot a coach screw right through to hold them in place. The hole will be covered by a plastic insert but its round, not the oval shape of the tie-down hole things.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was searching all over for a similar alternative that could be taken out easily when not in use. Found this thing called the Z-Rak which looks ingenious. Designed exactly to easily remove and put in a storage bag when not in use. Z-RAK TRUCK RACK It claims "one size fits all" but I am skeptical.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Able to find a price anywhere on that z-rak?

I was searching all over for a similar alternative that could be taken out easily when not in use. Found this thing called the Z-Rak which looks ingenious. Designed exactly to easily remove and put in a storage bag when not in use. Z-RAK TRUCK RACK It claims "one size fits all" but I am skeptical.

·
Registered
194 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.