Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I hope this is the correct forum for this question.
Second, I am a newbie to both a Canyon and this forum as you can tell by my post count.

I noticed the other day when starting my truck (3.6 engine) the oil pressure light stayed on for what I thought a long time.
When I paid attention to the light , the light did not turn off until the tach needle swept to max distance clockwise and when the tach needle was between 2500 and 3000 on the back swing the oil light went off. The needle settled at the normal idle RPM.

I am just wondering if this is the normal?

Truck is a 2020 Denali.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sounds normal...I'll have to watch & see if mine reacts the dame. Did you do a cautionary oil-level check to ensure it's good?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You can set the information display in the dash to show oil pressure using the controls on the left side of the steering wheel. Actually having low oil pressure would be very bad. I would turn that on and monitor for a while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked the oil....it was close enough to call it full

I have been watching the oil pressure once the truck starts... saw 52 psi this morning

Ken

·
Registered
2018 Colorado WT Extended Cab 4x4
84 Posts
...I noticed the other day when starting my truck (3.6 engine) the oil pressure light stayed on for what I thought a long time...
Hi Ken. Where are you located? I couldn't find that information on your profile. Some oil pumps on the 3.6L are having issues with "extreme" cold starts. I'm not sure what GM considers extreme, but there were service bulletins sent to some owners in Canada and Alaska after reports of oil pump failures there. I believe those issues dealt with 2017 and some 2018 engines. If you do a search for "oil pump" here at the forum, you should be able to find message threads with useful information regarding this problem. Best of luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diamond Dave, I am in South Carolina.

UPDATE
This truck being new to me. I was aware of the oil pressure display on the dash, but I did not know I could scroll trough it with the key in the "on " position.
Once I was on the oil pressure screen, I started the truck
Oil pressure started climbing rapidly,,,it was well over 30 PSI before the tach swept to max RPM.

I am not worried anymore, but I think it is odd the oil light would still be on with over 30 LBS of pressure at start up.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Now on to fix the door panel design....just kidding.

Ken

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I am not worried anymore, but I think it is odd the oil light would still be on with over 30 LBS of pressure at start up.
It most likely shouldn't be coming on, so something is wrong. The best case scenario is a faulty sensor. But the reason I said to leave the dash display on is so you can see what situations the light comes on at.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It most likely shouldn't be coming on, so something is wrong. The best case scenario is a faulty sensor. But the reason I said to leave the dash display on is so you can see what situations the light comes on at.
Light is only on at start up...pressure has been very good as I drive and the light has never come on while driving.

Ken

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Your 2020, will have the new two stage oil pump, unlike my 2016 V6, but just giving some oil pressure numbers that I have seen since day one, at start up and idle, my oil pressure runs around 15 psi and do not go up until acceleration, I can see the high 80’s. This was very unusual to me, being old school from the 60’s, both of them numbers were alarming, because we were used to see numbers like 40-60 psi in them days. Being a 2020, you cannot go by my numbers, but just thought I would throw them out there. Your longer oil light may have something to do with the two stage pump.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Light is only on at start up...pressure has been very good as I drive and the light has never come on while driving.
Okay, good. But to ask a stupid question, are you leaving the key on a few seconds before starting so all the lights clear? I have the diesel so I tend to do that anyway with a cold start (and also am not at all familiar with how your engine functions).

As an aside, I had a Fiat X-1/9 and when you would pull hard G's to either the right or left (I forget) it would lose oil pressure due to the oil moving away from the oil pump. Some people would add pressurized cylinders to their systems so that the cylinder would supply oil temporarily during such a situation. Not sure if that worked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
16WC, just for info, I had 52 PSI at start up idle cold at 62 degrees ambient.

Once hot, 42 PSI idle.

Goodspike, key on, started engine when dash was clear of all lights.

Ken

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I knew your numbers would be much different than mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts