Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So I know this might not be the right spot but I scrolled around and couldn’t find it so... sue me lol.

So my truck is a 2016, did a trifecta elite plus tune about 5 months ago. Did a royal purple oil and filter change 5w30 full synth 6 quarts, lubed the new filter o ring first and so far three times in the last month I get a warning I have 0 oil pressure on my dash.

Status
-normal engine temp and operation
-no loss in power
-alarm is intermittent
-oil pressure number decreases with wcceleration
-first occurrence was at idle in drive
-no visible leaks
-occurred this morning again at 80mph
-pressure number decreases from 87 psi (normal at idle) to 10psi or alarming when accelerating.
-oil change and filter 6 quarts at 5w30 synth
-first occurrence was two days after oil change

Thoughts
-air in oil line
-bad sensor
-low oil level (dip stick showed normal level)

Help. Also if it is a sensor. Please lemme know how to change it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Am I missing where you stated which engine you have?
What engine do you have?
What filter did you use?
Did you do the service yourself?
What is the normal ambient air temperature you are having now?
What is the airspeed of an un-laden swallow?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I missing where you stated which engine you have?
What engine do you have?
What filter did you use?
Did you do the service yourself?
What is the normal ambient air temperature you are having now?
What is the airspeed of an un-laden swallow?
Haha I’m depth questions man. Sorry I thought my truck was listed in my profile. I have the 4wd 2016 v6 4wd.

I always service my truck myself
I used the royal purple oil and filter
It’s currently between 60-85 degrees ambient air temp throughout the day
Airspeed is as fast as you can throw it

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Doesn’t matter where he started 87 PSI at idle is abnormal. That’s what it should read at higher RPM, maximum. At idle my 2016 is around 15-20 PSI. I would suspect the oil pressure sensor or loose connection at it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Haha I’m depth questions man. Sorry I thought my truck was listed in my profile. I have the 4wd 2016 v6 4wd.

I always service my truck myself
I used the royal purple oil and filter
It’s currently between 60-85 degrees ambient air temp throughout the day
Airspeed is as fast as you can throw it
I would back track and get back to baseline for troubleshooting purposes.
Put in a OEM filter and O-ring and check results.
FWIW, My early '18 3.6 LGZ averages 45-50 psi on acceleration.

Sorry, signatures don't appear in all versions of browsers or mobile browsers.

I know you want to believe in Royal Purple

But when something is wrong, go back to OEM products to find your problem.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
You’re pressures will be different on the LGZ engine because you got the two stage oil pump. I have a feeling that is why in 17, they went to the two stage pump, because the high pressures on the 15-16 were blowing oil lines. We will see upper 80’s at highway speeds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would back track and get back to baseline for troubleshooting purposes.
Put in a OEM filter and O-ring and check results.
FWIW, My early '18 3.6 LGZ averages 45-50 psi on acceleration.
That’s a great idea, I will do that. What’s your idle pressure typically

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You’re pressures will be different on the LGZ engine because you got the two stage oil pump. I have a feeling that is why in 17, they went to the two stage pump, because the high pressures on the 15-16 were blowing oil lines. We will see upper 80’s at highway speeds.
**** that’s scary. Maybe I should bleed the oil because I’ve always had operating pressure at 87. Even idle

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
That’s a great idea, I will do that. What’s your idle pressure typically
You can not compare your idle pressures to his 17 model. You need to compare to a 16 model. His are not accurate for your engine. If your IDLE pressures have always been 87, I would replace the oil pressure sensor. It just unscrews. It is probably giving a false reading to the DIC.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You can not compare your idle pressures to his 17 model. You need to compare to a 16 model. His are not accurate for your engine. If your IDLE pressures have always been 87, I would replace the oil pressure sensor. It just unscrews. It is probably giving a false reading to the DIC.
^^What he said^^

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Oil Pressure Sensor, disconnect electrical connector, and unscrew sensor. If an Oil Level Sensor, which it is not, big job, pan drop in order to replace, may require lifting the engine to get the pan off. Just do the oil pressure sensor. Should not be very expensive either, but I would recommend going with the OEM GM part, no aftermarket. Kind of wish you would try dropping an OEM AC Delco oil filter in it, just to rule out the aftermarket filter as being a problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The pressure sensor went bad on my '16 V6 right after a home oil/filter change as well. (I'm at about 25k miles) Based on the above image, I suspect perhaps a little oil spilled from the filter and shorted the sensor out. I drove it around for a week trying to deduce the problem and finally had the dealer diagnose and replace the sensor. The pressure would show as little as 0 psi when accelerating from a stoplight, but normal pressure at idle.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
**** that’s scary. Maybe I should bleed the oil because I’ve always had operating pressure at 87. Even idle
Idle 87? Yikes! Change that sensor man! Could be the filter but not very likely at all, it's just a damn filter. Your other choice is the oil pump, want to change that for fun? Let us know if that fixed it please!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
As others have stated, that idle oil pressure is abnormal. Likely a bad oil pressure sensor which is easy to replace and can be had for like $20. Oil pressure will vary based on oil temperature and RPM, it will be the lowest at idle when the oil is up to normal operating temperature and should be around 15psi. As engine RPMs increase so will the oil pressure. Oil pressure will never drop as RPMs increase.

The fact that the oil pressure drops to 0 randomly with no engine noise associated with it is another indication that it's likely the oil pressure sensor. 0 oil pressure would cause the engine to rattle.

Anyway, start with the oil pressure sensor. I bet that fixes it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts