Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 2004 chevy colroado and im trying to put a oil pressu regauge in it but the sensor surrently in there is only made for the light does anyone know where i can get a new sensor that runs off the gauge to swap them out or something else i can do..... thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am adding a gauge but my brother said i have to replace the sending unit or something so it doesnt run of the light

unless there is an easier way
i read about electrical oil pressure gauges
but how expensive are those???

·
Registered
566 Posts
Electrical OP gauges require their own senders and vary in price depending upon the gauge you buy.
Gauges go for about $40, sending units about $14.
Choose a guage and then get a sender that matches the pressure range of the gauge.

The OEM light sensor is just a switch that turns on the light at some built in low oil pressure value. If you just disconnect the light and put in a seperate gauge & sender, I don't think the trucks computer will like that too well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay so if i buy a electric oil pressure gauge then i have to buy a sending unit for it???

hey db i cant find the thread how do i hook up another sneding unit for the electric oil pressure gauge

i found en equus electric oil pressure gauge from my work so thats the one im going to use!

i dont want to use a mechanical oil pressure cuz they leak all the time.....

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
To run the electrical psi gauge you just need to run 1 wire from the sending unit to the gauge and the 12v+/- for the gauge light.

If you read through this thread: http://coloradofans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31002

you will see in my first post that I explain how and where to install the sending unit.

Here's a couple pics of my '05 3.5L sending unit location

Here's a pic of the plug removed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
''Go to Autozone and pick up the Sun oil pressure metric conversion kit. You will need the largest size in the package which I believe it the M16x1.5. Looking up from under the truck to where the stock sending unit is, you will see another port at 90° facing towards the front of the truck. There's a plug in there that will require a size 8 metric allen wrench to remove.

At this point I recommend using a 90° elbow to install the adapter as you will see if you install the sending unit w/o it the sending unit will be in front of the serpentine belt. I found the elbow at Home Depot in the plumbing aisle. Also, if you are using an electrical sending unit, use a ground wire to the adapter end of it and ground it to the frame. Without it the gauge will not be accurate.

Good luck! ''

so i read through that and the guy stated he was putting in a mechanical oil pressure gauge.... is the process still the same. and i live in canada so there are no autozones.... could i just take out the plug put on the elbow and throw in the sending unit for the elctric oil pressure gauge?????

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Yes, the process is the same. Whether it's a mechanical or electronic sending unit, they have to receive oil line pressure. If you look at my A-Pillar Gauge Pod how-to, you will see I went from a mechanical gauge to an electronic gauge. I had to swap out the gauges and the sending units then run a wire.

Not sure if you can just use an elbow. You will need to find one that is M16x1.5 to fit in the plug hole and the other end has to fit the sending unit. Try checking your local auto parts store and see if any of them sell Sun gauges. They may have the adapter kit as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay well i work at a parts store so i will have to see what i can find
thats the only problem is the sending unit
ya i looked at the gauge pod how to thats why im putting one in.... as soon as i get the sending unit to fit then i can instal the pod... ill se if i can find the kit... would i be able just to buy an elbow with an adapter on the end of it to fit the sending unit?????

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any elbows with adapters to fit our specific application. I found the elbow at Home Depot and made sure it fit the adapter and the sending unit by bringing them both in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yah, you must leave the stock sender in place. without an oil pressure signal to the pcm, the fuel pump will shut off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the wire from the end of the sending unit goes to the back of the gauge is that it?
and do u need to get a sending unit for out specific truck?

·
Registered
566 Posts
The sender is gauge specific in that a particular gauge with a range of 0 to 100 PSI needs a sender having the same range. Usually if one buys a Auto meter gauge, the gauge documentation will give the part number of the sender to be used with it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Do the H3s come with a gauge or idiot light? If they come with a gauge, I wonder if the fitting is the same as on our trucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts