Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all GM vehicles have an OLM, because I woud like to know if my truck has one? I heard of someone with an older fullsize WT had one, so I was just thinking the Colorado should have one too.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It has one and I follow it as GM recommends in the manual.

If GM sees fit to warranty the engine to 160,000km(100K miles) with me only paying for one oil change per year, who am I to argue?

I won't have this truck by the time it has 60,000km(37.5K miles) anyways.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My trucks has gone off once over the 43k miles I've owned the truck (since new). I'd love to only change my oil once, and take it into the Chevy dealership when the motor blows and explain why I only changed the oil once in 43k+ miles.
What do you suppose Chevy would do in this situation?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mine came on around 13,000 miles but I had already changed the oil three times. I'm sure it's working as designed but the peace of mind that comes from more frequent oil changes is well worth the cost. IMO

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Canyon08Z71 said:
Embrace technology. :)
Ditto! And document, document, document. I have never waited for mine to go off, but if it gets below 20% I take it to the dealer and they change it and reset the monitor. I've got the recommendation in the manual. I've got printouts from the Onstar Vehicle info site that document the oil life. I've got dealer receipts from the oil changes at less than minimum life. I've used Mobil 1 full synthetic since the first oil change. And I've got a letter from GM that says I've got a 100,000 mile warranty. I think that's pretty iron-clad.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Dillusion said:
Good luck to you then.

I dont care if they will have to pay for it. I dont want my truck in the shop leaving me to drive another vehicle.

And I'm lucky if mine goes off within a year. Mine has gone off twice in the 3 years I've had it.
The manual says that if it doesn't go off within the year then you are supposed to change the oil at the one-year mark and reset the OLM.

It amazes me how many people who don't trust the thing don't even understand how you are supposed to use it.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Mine comes on about every 13k miles. I change my oil every 10k as I do some pretty heavy and excessive things with my truck.

x2 for folks not knowing how things work.

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
GMCdriver said:
Dillusion said:
Good luck to you then.

I dont care if they will have to pay for it. I dont want my truck in the shop leaving me to drive another vehicle.

And I'm lucky if mine goes off within a year. Mine has gone off twice in the 3 years I've had it.
The manual says that if it doesn't go off within the year then you are supposed to change the oil at the one-year mark and reset the OLM.

It amazes me how many people who don't trust the thing don't even understand how you are supposed to use it.
I drove 13k in my first year without it going off. You telling me its working? If you want to wait to the max which is a year and drive 13k on one oil change its up to you. But I will not wait that long.

I dont care how you are supposed to use it. I change my oil every 7k. Its cheap and takes all of 20 minutes to do. If even that.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Dillusion said:
GMCdriver said:
Dillusion said:
Good luck to you then.

I drove 13k in my first year without it going off. You telling me its working? If you want to wait to the max which is a year and drive 13k on one oil change its up to you. But I will not wait that long.

I dont care how you are supposed to use it. I change my oil every 7k. Its cheap and takes all of 20 minutes to do. If even that.
You are dead set against using the OLM, we all understand this. What is unfair is that you are forcing your uneducated opinion on newbies like it is fact. It is your choice NOT to use the OLM but the FACT is, it works just fine and is reliable.

Do you use synthetic oil? If so, then of coarse it will not go off at 5-10k because the oil has plenty life on it.

How am I sure? I have done oil analysis on Mobil 1 5w30 SuperSyn 15k oil on my 2004... It revealed at 10k that there was plenty of oil life left, more than likely enough life left to go very close to 15k miles on that one oil change. So, like GMCDriver, I was able to do one oil change per year (because of my limited amount of miles per year). The tests revealed all was normal in the engine following this protocol.

I just had my oil changed on my 2008 @ 4.1k miles. Oil life left was 60% life left.... So, on dino oil I could have probably made it to 7/8k... Maybe even further but I changed it early on just to flush out that first fill of oil.

If you travel less than 15k a year and use the top level synthetics, the monitor will probably not go off. So, you use the GM recommendation, which is to just change it before that one year period and reset the monitor.

Personal preference to change more frequently is fine. A lot of people do it this way but it is inaccurate to condemn the OLM because that is what you choose to do out of habit.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm with Dillusion. Canyon08Z71, are you telling me I was only supposed to change my oil once in the 43k miles I've owned my truck? GM recommends an oil change once every 3k miles (according to their service pamphlets).

·
Registered
132 Posts
How do you get these percentages? I just figured out how to reset the OLM.

I use synthetic and change it at no more than 5,000 miles, but it'd be neat to see what the OLM is saying. I thought it simply monitored the oil and popped up a msg when it decided that the oil should be "worn out".

·
Registered
370 Posts
The oil life monitor can't tell the difference between what oil you use. It isn't like the computer constantly tests your oil while you are driving to determine how much the oil has degraded.

As Canyon08Z71 brought up, the only way to make a proper oil change interval is to have an analysis done, and have it read by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
babyman1737 said:
I'm with Dillusion. Canyon08Z71, are you telling me I was only supposed to change my oil once in the 43k miles I've owned my truck? GM recommends an oil change once every 3k miles (according to their service pamphlets).
Ok, people have different opinions. I am from a background where I need to trust my digital monitoring equipment. Most importantly bro, I do not tell anyone what to do, I only share my opinion and do my best to back it up with facts. Discussion, not a lecture on what to do and how to live your life. :) GMCDriver & I have already sited our sources of information, the owners manual and real world testing.

bobz85 said:
How do you get these percentages? I just figured out how to reset the OLM.

I use synthetic and change it at no more than 5,000 miles, but it'd be neat to see what the OLM is saying. I thought it simply monitored the oil and popped up a msg when it decided that the oil should be "worn out".
GM can get it for you from their Tech II. OnStar sends me the oil life on my 2008. Unfortunately, GM in their infinite wisdom, kept the driver from being able to see that on our Colorado / Canyons from the D.I.C..... :(

06radoblk said:
The oil life monitor can't tell the difference between what oil you use. It isn't like the computer constantly tests your oil while you are driving to determine how much the oil has degraded.

As Canyon08Z71 brought up, the only way to make a proper oil change interval is to have an analysis done, and have it read by someone who knows what they are doing.
The OLM measures the breakdown of the oil. It will not specifically be able to tell you if synthetic is in there or conventional but it measures spent life. Synthetic will last longer, thus a longer service life. So, the end user can assume Synthetic is being used if the oil life left is higher than a conventional oil would typically would represent.

I broke down and paid to do the full analysis because of these many debates. It was interesting to be able to test the OLM (I was skeptical of it before my tests).

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
I was under the impression it did not test the oil. It only assumed when it was time to change based on driving and # of start ups.

I remember that being posted in a thread years ago. I'm not going back to find it. You can if you wish.

But if it really does test the oil instead of just estimating then I guess you could follow it.

But I'll change mine every 7k because of habit.

Sorry if I confused people. But I was going off what I was told from the beginning. And I know no one said anything about it testing the oil rather than going of estimates back then.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Vewy Vewy Interesting, I too swore it had to be an estimate? MAYBE NOT? :shock:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts