Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having to replace my MAF due to K&N oil and the dreaded CEL, I started looking for oil-free solutions.

Check out the AFE Pro Dry S line of replacement filters.

http://www.afefilters.com/

http://afefilters.com/prodrys/v1.html

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks!

PS. I did not re-oil the K&N filter...The CEL came on before I even had the opportunity to put enough miles on it to necessitate a cleaning.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
ColoradoKid121205 said:
AEM BF cold air intake :D

I have one and love it :D

Almost 20,000 miles on it and not a single problem :)

It is oiless btw :wink:

Ditto.

The main reason why I bought mine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MarkEG said:
ColoradoKid121205 said:

Ditto.

Recognizing that you have the intake and I am only referring to the replacement filter, do you feel that you have gains in performance (HP, fuel economy, torque)?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
When I first put it on I did notice some of the bottom end go out. But it was like the intake took away some of the low and and put it on the top end :lol:

I did see a significant drop in MPG at the beginning but that was because I couln't keep my foot out of it :lol:

later I did see a 1-2MPG increase then I got the exhaust and then the tune...now I have seen all the way up to 26MPG with a Crew-Cab I5 with 20" wheels :D

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
brinsmaid said:
MarkEG said:
ColoradoKid121205 said:

Ditto.

Recognizing that you have the intake and I am only referring to the replacement filter, do you feel that you have gains in performance (HP, fuel economy, torque)?

I suppose, but with something like this its hard to tell.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've always used the K&N and never had a problem. When new I let it set in a warm place for a few days just in case they should happened to over oiled it at the factory. And when re-oiling not get crazy. Use the spray and spray lightly.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Running AEM Brute Force for about 2 years....no CEL's.

It is important though, when changing to an aftermarket intake, that you disconnect the negative terminal on your battery during installation.

This gives the PCM the opportunity to recognize the differences in the larger amounts of air that is passing over the MAF sensor after you've completed the installation and have reconnected the battery!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sab said:
Running AEM Brute Force for about 2 years....no CEL's.

It is important though, when changing to an aftermarket intake, that you disconnect the negative terminal on your battery during installation.

This gives the PCM the opportunity to recognize the differences in the larger amounts of air that is passing over the MAF sensor after you've completed the installation and have reconnected the battery!
Yeah i have not had a CEL yet with an oiled filter, i did disconnect my batt. while installing the CAI and doint the cat. deletion at the same time.

Ill post here if i throw a code.

However, in the past i have had problems with muffed up MAFs from oiled filters but they were the old style MAFs on the LT1 and mid 90's vortec motors.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This isn't a dry filter, but I've been running a TrueFlow oiled foam filter since I bought the truck. Just recently tore apart the intake to do the plugs and no oil residue at all in the intake tract.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts