Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Champion Labs makes the Mobil1 filter as well. They build them to the manufacturer specification. The TSB mentions the importance of proper oil filter bypass specification which is satisfied by the Oil Filter Adapter Center Insert in the LGZ. In cartridge filters, the Mobil1 with part number ending in "A" have higher tension oil filter bypass specification.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
From what I can find In my readings champion makes the ac delco filters and I find it funny because I always associated them with lawn mower parts lol
Champion Labs makes oil filters, Champion, a subsidiary of Federal-Mogul, makes spark plugs. Totally different companies. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Champion Labs makes the Mobil1 filter as well. They build them to the manufacturer specification. The TSB mentions the importance of proper oil filter bypass specification which is satisfied by the Oil Filter Adapter Center Insert in the LGZ. In cartridge filters, the Mobil1 with part number ending in "A" have higher tension oil filter bypass specification.
I don't believe the 3.6 LFX engines (15-16's) have that "Adapter center insert" like the LGZ does, any idea where the bypass is located on the LFX?

Do you think it might be built into the top of the Oil Cartridge Housing (As shown in the photo below)?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Since we are on filters, has anyone come up with an adapter to convert to a screw on filter? I have a Porsche that originally had a element style canister filter, at Pelican Parts I was able to buy a very nice billet aluminum adapter, it was simple to install and is so much nicer to deal with. Canister style element filters work great but getting just the right snugness to the filter can be an issue due to the touchy nature of the O-ring. Not tight enough you get a leak, too tight you get a leak, the devil is getting the Goldie Locks sweet spot. Anyone seen this spin on conversion?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't believe the 3.6 LFX engines (15-16's) have that "Adapter center insert" like the LGZ does, any idea where the bypass is located on the LFX?

Do you think it might be built into the top of the Oil Cartridge Housing (As shown in the photo below)?

There are passages in the cap for the housing, but I think the bypass must be built into the base of the housing. In order for bypass of the filter, it must create a passage before the oil flows through the filter element.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yea, generally, AC Delco is the OEM parts brand for GM.
I doubt everything is exactly the same as over time suppliers may change.
But in general, if GM part # 456738002 is still in use on the production line, then AC Delco part # 002674974 will be the same thing.
Then when GM doesn't need new parts for production, AC Delco may get a different supplier and it will be part # 100026874936.
I think thats how goes.
So I use K&N filters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What are your thoughts on K&N? I have heard that they usually produce the best filters but i am not sure. they certainly are some of the most expensive. are there any pros of going with K&N as opposed to an ac delco?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
What are your thoughts on K&N? I have heard that they usually produce the best filters but i am not sure. they certainly are some of the most expensive. are there any pros of going with K&N as opposed to an ac delco?

They don’t make their own oil filters and don’t buy into the hype of them having the “best” filters. They’re great at marketing, their products aren’t special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)

They don’t make their own oil filters and don’t buy into the hype of them having the “best” filters. They’re great at marketing, their products aren’t special.

I can't disagree with that except if I want a high flow filter, I don't have many options that claim to offer me that with some measure of quality. Its a tradeoff I suppose. I'm willing to take the risk.
So far, my oil reports have not indicated any unusually high levels of metal or contaminants, infact, I am at average or lower for a new engine. that may not be the case at high milage, but we will see then.
My view on oil change is quantity over quality. Nobody makes crap these days. I buy the theory that if an engine is going to get dirty, changing oil at 3K with cheap products is still better than changing at 10K with top shelf stuff. So I change at 5K with Mobil1 and a filter that isn't the best at filtration, but gives me low resistance which helps keep the bypass shut more. I think the worst thing going on in engines is bypassing oil. So I will take OK filtration all the time over no filtration some times. I could be wrong. These are tight engines and the bypass could be regulating pressure frequently regardless of the filter flow rate.
Here is the K&N claim:
"K&N's line of cartridge oil filters provide outstanding filtration. Their high flow design can help to improve engine performance by reducing oil filter restriction. They are also ideal for high-end synthetic motor oils."

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I bought my 2012 1LT Camaro with the 3.6L LFX engine I looked around and decided then to use K&N filters and never had a problem with them. I have a ways to go before my first oil change and have already ordered up a few of them for this engine.

I researched oil filters about 10 years ago and found that there are only a few manufacturers of filters. Each one made many different brands to their specs. I had found a site where someone had cut apart many different filters for comparison and what shocked me the most is how just looking at one manufacturers filters under the different brands how cheaply some of the filters were made for some of the different brands they made. At that point after seeing the plain Fram I switched to their tough guard filters. With the Camaro I went full synthetic and decided on K&N.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
LGZ/X Oil Filter Cap O-Ring

I have opined before about the oil filter cap O-ring. It is my theory that although an O-ring will usually come with the new filter, the O-ring is a separate issue and to ensure the integrity of the seal, should be replaced with the OEM part, regardless of the quality of filer you buy. In fact, If I were buying a cheap filter, I would be more concerned about the integrity of the O-ring after time than the filter. Well maybe not, but I'd e concerned. I want to do all I can to ensure my oil stays in the engine and air stays out of the oil flow. You could run your car without an oil filter, but you can ruin your engine if this O-ring shrinks or breaks.
Hyperbole? Of course! But is this precaution excessive? For the minimal cost of this part to be done as well as it can be, I don't think so. And its blue!
::chevy::

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Since we are on the oil filter subject, on my 3rd diy oil change on my ZR2, and today I noticed when cleaning up around the oil filter location that the part that goes inside the oil filter black plastic piece in the middle is loose and spins freely....is this normal I assume?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Ugh, look at the marketing BS attached to the K&N oil filters. Seriously? Hope nobody believes it. At least they’re cheap. Like half the price of a Delco filter. Hope they filter well, $4.xx vs $8.xx for a Delco that meets factory specs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
im late to the party but i swear by WIX or ACDelco. We use WIX for our farm tractors, too. Local parts store stocks them. I believe my 04 takes a 51042.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not to hijack this poll thread but I will because kinda relates, so here goes.
I just did my first oil change,first 2 were at the dealers under the free program, After a search of the quality of filters I decided to go with wix filters. So my question is, There seems to be an abnormally high amount of oil pressure at times, over 80 psi as read on the DIC. Is this a problem in the making and should I change the filter again to a different brand just to be safe? At such a high pressure could there possibly be a constant bypass of the filter?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Not to hijack this poll thread but I will because kinda relates, so here goes.
I just did my first oil change,first 2 were at the dealers under the free program, After a search of the quality of filters I decided to go with wix filters. So my question is, There seems to be an abnormally high amount of oil pressure at times, over 80 psi as read on the DIC. Is this a problem in the making and should I change the filter again to a different brand just to be safe? At such a high pressure could there possibly be a constant bypass of the filter?
Cold oil + higher RPMs = high oil pressure. Once the oil comes up to temp then it will drop down. If it reads 80psi even after driving for 10+ minutes then I’d have the dealer check the oil pressure sending unit.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts