Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What brand oil filter do you like?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
These are the brands that I know offer cartridge filters for the 3.6 V6 LGZ engine. Therefore many good brands like Mobil1, sadly, are not represented.
At least, that's what I believe for now. If someone has different information, Id like to know.
Unfortunately for this poll, I have not found a way to edit a poll to add Mobil1 in the future.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As far as I know and have saw,,
In cartridge type filters they all do a good job especially if you adhire to our intervals But with spin types which we don't use ,, I would stay away from Fram as I have seen and read about their failures of coming apart and are made cheap .

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have a spin on 2.5L 4cyl I’ll use the ac Delco or the mobile 1 filter for my truck. I’ve been hearing a lot of negative about frame lately but I’ve ran them since I’ve started driving in 03 never had a problem with them or the motors they were used on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wait a minute...am I not understanding something here? I've been using the M1C-254/M1C-254A extended life Mobil 1 oil filters since I ran out of free oil changes from the stealership and it's what is recommended on Mobil 1's website when I put my truck in their "recommendation tool". I've had zero problems...but again, I feel like I missed a big discussion here?

Or is it because I have a '15 and you are saying the new fancy pantsy V6 is too cool for the Mobil 1 filter? In which case you might want to specify that in your poll. Sorry for any confusion here...

·
Registered
357 Posts
For the V6 (LGZ) you should only use AC-Delco. If you are aware of the oil filtering issues in cold weather this is with the utmost importance. WIX, who makes a lot of other aftermarket filters, did not design the filter properly. Don't believe me buy both and you will see the poor quality difference. There have been a few cases here with V6 engines losing oil pressure in the cold, etc. The oil filter being the cause. I wouldn't use anything but AC-Delco in light of that. As for the other engines AC-Delco or Mobil would be my choices.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Or is it because I have a '15 and you are saying the new fancy pantsy V6 is too cool for the Mobil 1 filter?...
Or does Mobil think their filter is too cool for the LGZ?
The M1C-254/a looks to be the superior filter with metal caps and thick sealing grommet. I wish I were using it.
Perhaps Mobil1 wont make the LGZ filter as its a distinctly inferior design. But I haven't heard of any filter failures under normal conditions yet. The cold temperature issue is a new one to me.
Here (on) Antarctica (nobody is ever "in" Antarctica because there are no exits, only entrances), I try to negate any cold viscosity issues by using the K&N low resistance filter.

No you're not missing anything, this is a poorly constructed poll from the start.
I was trying to keep it real simple and the fact that twins have several different engine options would have made the scope of the study too broad.
Therefore, I didn't intend a poll of what guys (and cool chicks) use in their particular engine, I just used the filter list I had for my LGZ.
And yes, the LGZ is awesome; consider trading up.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have a spin on 2.5L 4cyl I’ll use the ac Delco or the mobile 1 filter for my truck. I’ve been hearing a lot of negative about frame lately but I’ve ran them since I’ve started driving in 03 never had a problem with them or the motors they were used on.
Its always the same with FRAM. several "studies" showing failures, but the millions who use them don't have any problems. Maybe a few, but realistically, they are a small percentage.

I did find it interesting when lately, on a visit to the upper 48, I couldn't find a FRAM oil filter to save my life in an AutoZone. They went STP, like, 90% of the filter line is STP.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Its always the same with FRAM. several "studies" showing failures, but the millions who use them don't have any problems. Maybe a few, but realistically, they are a small percentage.

I did find it interesting when lately, on a visit to the upper 48, I couldn't find a FRAM oil filter to save my life in an AutoZone. They went STP, like, 90% of the filter line is STP.
Yeah they went to pushing the stp filters hard. To be honest i usually get my filters and oil from Walmart usually a lot cheaper unless the part stores have a oil change deal.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
AC Delco from rock auto. Buy them in bulk along with the cabin and air filters. You'll save a bundle and always have some on hand. :grin2:

( I buy oil ones a dozen at a time, cabin and air 6 at a time)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Wait a minute...am I not understanding something here? I've been using the M1C-254/M1C-254A extended life Mobil 1 oil filters since I ran out of free oil changes from the stealership and it's what is recommended on Mobil 1's website when I put my truck in their "recommendation tool". I've had zero problems...but again, I feel like I missed a big discussion here?

Or is it because I have a '15 and you are saying the new fancy pantsy V6 is too cool for the Mobil 1 filter? In which case you might want to specify that in your poll. Sorry for any confusion here...
My 18 doesn't take a spin on oil filter, it takes a cartridge filter (like vehicles used 60 years ago :roll: ), so unless Mobil makes one of those, which I'm not aware of, that's why I use Delco instead. If Mobil does make one, please list the number!

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 18 doesn't take a spin on oil filter, it takes a cartridge filter (like vehicles used 60 years ago :roll: ), so unless Mobil makes one of those, which I'm not aware of, that's why I use Delco instead. If Mobil does make one, please list the number!
They DO make a cartridge filter for our trucks, new and old. According to www.mobiloil.com's "product selector", if you put in my '15 V6 it returns part number M1C-254A which if you go look on Amazon shows that it is, in fact, a cartridge filter (or just look in my truck lol):

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-M1C-254A-Extended-Performance-Filter/dp/B0161WK0AK[/ame]

And going back to the website and putting in an '18 V6 it gives back part numbers M1C-257 and M1C-257A. I have a harder time finding these (maybe they are new?) but Walmart has them listed with the words "cartridge" in the title with a picture of a cartridge filter:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-M1C-257A-Cartridge-Oil-Filter/148239718

I'm not saying I'm totally right about the '18 twins but it looks like they now exist? Either way...it's not like the AC Delco's are bad filters so you can't go wrong I suppose...

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sometime in 2017 the current High Feature 3.6 V6 (LFX) was upgraded to the (LGZ) for the twins. Two significant changes i know of are an improved PCV and a different oil filter cartridge. The PCV change was very needed but the oil filter continues to...

Wait for it......

Baffle me!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sometime in 2017 the current High Feature 3.6 V6 (LFX) was upgraded to the (LGZ) for the twins. Two significant changes i know of are an improved PCV and a different oil filter cartridge. The PCV change was very needed but the oil filter continues to...

Wait for it......

Baffle me!
Ahhhhh oil filter pun!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
They DO make a cartridge filter for our trucks, new and old. According to www.mobiloil.com's "product selector", if you put in my '15 V6 it returns part number M1C-254A which if you go look on Amazon shows that it is, in fact, a cartridge filter (or just look in my truck lol):

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-M1C-254A-Extended-Performance-Filter/dp/B0161WK0AK

And going back to the website and putting in an '18 V6 it gives back part numbers M1C-257 and M1C-257A. I have a harder time finding these (maybe they are new?) but Walmart has them listed with the words "cartridge" in the title with a picture of a cartridge filter:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-M1C-257A-Cartridge-Oil-Filter/148239718

I'm not saying I'm totally right about the '18 twins but it looks like they now exist? Either way...it's not like the AC Delco's are bad filters so you can't go wrong I suppose...
Excellent!! As soon as I run out of the Delco's (which at 3,500 miles per change won't take terribly long), I order a batch of these. Thanks! :grin2:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts