Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to locate the oil filter on my 2017 V6.
I know it is a cartridge type accessed from the top but for the life of me I can't find it.
Any direction would be great. Pics?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pop your hood. Look over toward the right/drivers side right near the firewall next to the engine header area and you should see it. PITA to not spill a little oil when changing.
I've changed my oil twice, and I don't think I even got one drip out of the filter! I just loosen the cap while the oil is draining, and the filter housing will drain out also. Very slick system as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've changed my oil twice, and I don't think I even got one drip out of the filter! I just loosen the cap while the oil is draining, and the filter housing will drain out also. Very slick system as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, I like having the cartridge filters. I rotate the wheels while it is draining and usually finish up about the same time it is done draining. By the time I get to the filter it’s free of excess oil. The only mess I ever make is pouring the fresh oil in. Need to pour at an annoyingly slow pace or the escaping air will gurgle up and splash out... now I always wrap the fill port with a towel just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DougC and White016

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Found another way to cut cost! My 2017 is definitely some type of plastic.
well crap, they did it again. Well at least the truck is lighter now, probably gets better MPG because of it!!! yeah, right :(

Reactions: DougC

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I remember when most if not all of your truck engines used a cartridge type oil filter and oil bath air filters. Then came dry air filters and spin on oil filters. Now we're going back to cartridge oil filters and aftermarket oiled air filters. Talk about progress.....:wink2:

·
Banned
337 Posts
Again?

If you have to ask, you probably shouldn’t be doing it.

Reactions: egatoprop

·
Banned
337 Posts
Well the advantage is AC Delco offers the filter carterage and also for just a lttle more a carterage and cap.
Not sure why you would waste money on the cap. The gasket, yes. But unless the cap is cracked and leaking, or you somehow managed to strip the threads there’s no reason to change it, it’s not a wear item.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Not sure why you would waste money on the cap. The gasket, yes. But unless the cap is cracked and leaking, or you somehow managed to strip the threads there’s no reason to change it, it’s not a wear item.
If that thing is a thin, cheap piece of plastic that is exposed to hot engine oil and underhood temps it will degrade over time for sure. Just like plastic radiators, they all crack eventually. That would be a very bad thing to fail, a nice big fire waiting to happen. I doubt I would replace it every time like a wear item but maybe after a few years for sure. Or like you said, if it was damaged somehow while removing/installing. Either way seems silly to use plastic to hold back 70 + psi of engine oil mounted directly over the exhaust pipe. Yikes!

Or just get one for a 2016 that is aluminum and be done with it, assuming of coarse it fits.

Reactions: CrashFix

·
Banned
337 Posts
If that thing is a thin, cheap piece of plastic that is exposed to hot engine oil and underhood temps it will degrade over time for sure. Just like plastic radiators, they all crack eventually. That would be a very bad thing to fail, a nice big fire waiting to happen. I doubt I would replace it every time like a wear item but maybe after a few years for sure. Or like you said, if it was damaged somehow while removing/installing. Either way seems silly to use plastic to hold back 70 + psi of engine oil mounted directly over the exhaust pipe. Yikes!

Or just get one for a 2016 that is aluminum and be done with it, assuming of coarse it fits.
Didn’t know they were plastic on the 17’s, mine is aluminum and won’t be replaced probably for the life of the truck lol

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I don't fault the guy for asking-I had to do some research here so I could find it! I looked all over the engine compartment for a remote spin-on...
yes, if you were looking for a can type filter you would never find it!

This is my 2nd car with a cartridge, all before were cans.

Seems like if you went and bought the filter and oil you would discover pretty quick its a cartridge. lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.