Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else annoyed with the oil dipstick? Its hard as hell to read, especially with fresh oil in there! I brought my truck in for an oil change from the dealership for the first and last time. The assholes who changed it put too much oil in. It was hard to even tell where the actual level was.

Anyone heard of an aftermarket dipstick?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Never had a problem with it? Try looking at the entire dipstick and not just the hashed portion.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I agree. Every time I get an oil change, I can tell if it is full,sort of. But I can't really read the dipstick tell it gets a little dirty. The old flat sticks where alot better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The end of the dipstick would probably be better if it weren't a dark color from the factory. I have to hold it in just the right angle of light to clearly see the oil level. That's not a difficult thing to do, but it's a little bit of a pain sometimes. Is the tip of the dipstick painted, or is that the actual color of the metal that it's made of? I hadn't paid that much attention to it yet.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Its the color of the metal.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just a thought off of the top of my head, but maybe you can buff it to make it easier to read on a new oil change. Of course, don't buff it so much that you take the crosshatches off of it though. :p

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
id rather have the old flat style, they seem easier to read. im glad i saw this thread, up till now i thought it was just me that didnt care for the dipstick much

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I lay it on a clean paper towel to see where it soaks up the oil to see where it's at.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a flat dipstick at the junkyard and trim to the same length.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like how it's flexible like that, doesn't get as caught up when you stick it in. But, as mentioned above, that reading the level is a royal pain. I like the idea of modifying a flat metal one, or at least taking the end off and just using the end.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I never liked it either to hard to read I can read it just seems like your reading a book to just find out what your oil level is.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I check mine everytime I fill up the gas tank...paranoia...but it seems now after 18,000 miles it is easier to read. I think that is because the original finish is worn off. Also, I took it in to the dealer for the first oil change and it looked like the oil level was way too high. I've done all my oil changes since then and added 5 qts like the book says and the oil level is always dead nuts. I guess the tech lost count of the clicks on his oil gun.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I also find it to be a PITA. My compromise is a cardinal sin of automobile ownership... I dont check it. LOL.

I change my oil every 10,000KM and put 5.7L of oil in every time. I put the old dirty oil back in the jug from the new oil and as long as it fills the container I know that I haven't lost any fluid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
not that big of a deal to me
just change oil urself and put 6 quarts and ur done lol
and if u get somone else to do it tell em it trakes 6 quarts

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
So you change your oil and don't actually check the level after you're done? Or periodically between changes? I'm at 75k miles and I've never seen my oil level drop, but I could never trust it like that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts