Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’ve never had that happen over the 48k miles and all the oil changes that I’ve done. It sounds like you may not be snapping the oil filter into the cap before screwing the cap on. You’re not just inserting the filter into the housing and then screwing the cap on, are you?

For this to happen both times tells me it’s user error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well your assumption is incorrect, I firmly snap the filter into the cap before reinstallation. However your assumption peaked my curiosity enough to look into the matter. I couldn't find any information on which technique or procedure is recommended by GM. I watched a few youtube videos and there are folks showing both methods, inserting the filter in the housing and snapping the filter into the cap.
Regardless I snap the filter into the cap, and pre-oil the O-rings, whether that's the correct method or not that's how I've always done these cartridge filter changes in the past without issue on other vehicles. In my 56 years I've done more than my fair share of oil changes and repairs both large and small on my families fleet.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Well your assumption is incorrect, I firmly snap the filter into the cap before reinstallation. However your assumption peaked my curiosity enough to look into the matter. I couldn't find any information on which technique or procedure is recommended by GM. I watched a few youtube videos and there are folks showing both methods, inserting the filter in the housing and snapping the filter into the cap.
Regardless I snap the filter into the cap, and pre-oil the O-rings, whether that's the correct method or not that's how I've always done these cartridge filter changes in the past without issue on other vehicles. In my 56 years I've done more than my fair share of oil changes and repairs both large and small on my families fleet.
Well, I hope you’re able to figure out what’s happening to cause that oil filter issue. This truck is the easiest and cleanest vehicle I’ve ever changed oil on, I’m really curious to know what’s causing the filter to get stuck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had my truck fall off the lift while working under it one corner slid off luckily the truck only fell a few inches and the arm caught it. But it was wobbly as hell bringing it back down. Definitely sharted my self

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am too lazy to slide under and take a photo so I'll do this. The engine oil pan is the bottom element in this photo. It is a black oval-ish deep drawn sheet metal pan that bolts up to the larger aluminum upper part of the oil pan. The drain plug is on the bottom of this drawn pan. This is all located ahead of the bell housing.

The transmission pan is a larger rectangular-ish pan that is located behind the bell housing. Here is mine as pulled for a fluid drain/fill. You can see the stand-pipe located at the rear (left) of the pan. This is used to check fluid level at temperature with the engine running.

I see now that the trans is what you drained. Here is what you need to do:

1) Drain engine oil back to the correct level. You need to run the engine to check ATF level and you don't want to do that with the engine over filled.

2) Pick up 3 quarts of Dexron6, a funnel and 4 or 5 ft of tube around 5/8" OD.

3) Locate the fill plug above the right hand side pan mounting lip on the trans casting. Pop the center button on the plug up with a screwdriver or something to unlock the plug. The plug should pull out straight up fairly easily. Feed the tube down through the engine bay to the fill port. Use the funnel and tube to pour the 3 quarts of Dexron6 into the trans. The trans will now be about 0.5qt over-filled. That's ok for now.

4) Set the park brake, chock the wheels and start the engine. Shift through the gears at idle while holding the brake pedal and return to park. Monitor ATF temperature on the DIC. When the ATF reaches about 40C/104F slide under the truck with the engine still idling. Pull the ATF drain and let fluid drain down to the top of the stand pipe. When flow slows to a trickle you are there. Install the plug. Shut off the engine.

5) Now you can change your engine oil.

6) Go forth and enjoy your truck!
SOOOOOO. I did the same thing. Thought I changed my oil. was confused about the Dipstick reading. had to go to work the next day and drove about 75 miles with 5.5 quarts overfilled in engine. after finding this info i finally realized my mistake (cause the dipstick reading was driving me insane) But now Im REALLY nervous i did damage to this 2017 2.8L duramax. So ya. really depressed i made this mistake.
I guess im just scared i ruined this engine which is the only reason i even considered this vehicle. So if any one has any words of good fortune. im bout to blow my brains out about this

·
Registered
211 Posts
SOOOOOO. I did the same thing. Thought I changed my oil. was confused about the Dipstick reading. had to go to work the next day and drove about 75 miles with 5.5 quarts overfilled in engine. after finding this info i finally realized my mistake (cause the dipstick reading was driving me insane) But now Im REALLY nervous i did damage to this 2017 2.8L duramax. So ya. really depressed i made this mistake.
I guess im just scared i ruined this engine which is the only reason i even considered this vehicle. So if any one has any words of good fortune. im bout to blow my brains out about this
I would tend to think that when you drained the extra oil out if you didn't find any seals leaking you're probably ok. Just make sure the trans is at the proper level now.
just my 2cents

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Had my truck fall off the lift while working under it one corner slid off luckily the truck only fell a few inches and the arm caught it. But it was wobbly as hell bringing it back down. Definitely sharted my self

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 Diesel Extended Cab
16 Posts
I’ve never had that happen over the 48k miles and all the oil changes that I’ve done. It sounds like you may not be snapping the oil filter into the cap before screwing the cap on. You’re not just inserting the filter into the housing and then screwing the cap on, are you?

For this to happen both times tells me it’s user error.

I came from a 2nd generation V6 Tacoma ownership with 90+ oil changes over 14+ years. I thought the Tacoma was as good as it would be for oil changes; screw in filter on top with shroud that caught spillage. My short experience with a TR6 told me cartridge filters suck; so I thought. I drive a lot and like to save by doing my own maintenance. When shopping for a replacement truck Toyota was top of the list. Then I saw that Toyota did not sell an Extended Cab Off Road with a manual tranny in the US. Then I found out owners had automatic tranny issues and a newer higher strung V6 engine with a cartridge type filter underneath and I reconsidered my options. I take offense to the statement "worst oil filter housing configuration, I've ever had to deal with in any of my personal vehicles". Have you seen this video
? Have fun with that! We don't have to take skid a plate off to change the oil or use some stupid tube in the filter cap. I find the cartridge system in this truck to be the easiest of all vehicle I have ever owned in my 55 years. The oil drains into the engine not out off it like the 2nd generation Toyota and I don't need some stupid stamped filter socket that doesn't fit every brand of screw in filter or buy a special socket for the 3rd generation Tacoma; just a 27mm socket a little twist screw screw screw and POOF the Chevy filter cap comes off.
I just did my 5th oil change on the diesel at 25K. I did experience a sticking oil filter in the engine once at the last oil change but I just grabbed it and it pulled off; no damage to the filter. I lube all three filter o-rings prior to pushing it into the cap; perhaps I missed one the last time or perhaps there is a manufacturer tolerance issue in some filters.
When installing I Gently jiggle the cap with the filter while aligning the cap threads into the housing and can feel when filter engages the lower portion.
On a side note, I don't lift the truck to change the oil and find underside access to the drain plug from behind the front wheels much easier than from the front as I did with my Tacoma. I am left handed and approach from the drivers side.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts