Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's an Off Road mode on the DIC on the Silverado (even w/o the Z71 pkg) like the ZR2 has. I tried to select it on my 2017 Z71 but it's grayed out and won't let me turn it on. Is it because I have too many of the other options turned on or is it because the Off Road mode isn't available on these Colorado's with the Z71 pkg? Bad enough there's no 4x4 indicator light!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not available on our trucks, but maybe the GM gods will throw us a bone and make it available. Not sure how it happened, but one day I remote started my truck and when I got in I had a bout 10 new DIC screens to choose from, though none of them worked besides the lap time/0-60 screen. I haven't been able to get it to appear again so I am assuming this was just a glitch in the Matrix.

·
Registered
748 Posts
There's an Off Road mode on the DIC on the Silverado (even w/o the Z71 pkg) like the ZR2 has. I tried to select it on my 2017 Z71 but it's grayed out and won't let me turn it on. Is it because I have too many of the other options turned on or is it because the Off Road mode isn't available on these Colorado's with the Z71 pkg? Bad enough there's no 4x4 indicator light!
You figure that out bud, you'll be a hero to many. Ive taken my Z71 to two different dealers trying to get them to flash the BCM to show more pages in the DIC and they couldnt/wouldnt do it .

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

WTF GM. The Z71 is supposed to be an off road model, (It's got Z71 off road stickers on it for one thing) yet they don't offer "Off Road " mode on the DIC. What idiot at GM thought that one up.....:censored: :clueless

·
Registered
676 Posts
WTF GM. The Z71 is supposed to be an off road model, (It's got Z71 off road stickers on it for one thing) yet they don't offer "Off Road " mode on the DIC. What idiot at GM thought that one up.....:censored: :clueless
Probably the same one that allowed 2wd Z71's in the first gen twins...

AAANNNDDD I just checked... You can still build 2wd Z71's... Sigh....

Why not let people buy 2wd ZR2's while you're at it?!

I miss when the Z71 decal actually meant something...

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Probably the same one that allowed 2wd Z71's in the first gen twins...

AAANNNDDD I just checked... You can still build 2wd Z71's... Sigh....

Why not let people buy 2wd ZR2's while you're at it?!

I miss when the Z71 decal actually meant something...
The thing is, since the Gen II Colorados arrived, there isn't much difference in the standard suspension and the Z71. The rear suspension is reportedly the same and the front Z71 gets slightly different shock and spring rate. Ride height is the same with comparable sized tires.

In 2010 on the Colorado Z71 (even in 2WD like I ordered) there was a marked difference. First, you got the Z71 completely different suspension with torsion bars in the front and a higher ride height, larger beefier drive shaft, and 265-70R17 Full Sized Truck Tires. So even if you did not get 4WD, it was worth getting a Z71 Crew Cab.

My 2010 is still in the family with son in law. . I sorely miss the better and wider leather seats, CD player, roof mounted dual front grab handles, and more.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE!
Yesterday when I went back into settings and editing the DIC Information list that Off Road Mode was nowhere to be found. The first time it was there but grayed out, now it doesn't appear at all. My guess is that they use the same DIC in the ZR2 and when I tried to access it the first time I'm guessing either via OnStar or the ECM it saw the attempt and removed it from the options list. I'm wondering if the DIC can be reflashed to activate this feature. ALL Colorado's with 4WD should have this feature especially since they didn't even put a 4WD idicator light. At the very least as with the ZR2, put it on the Z71 since they market it as being "off road capable". Yet it's available on the Silverado even w/o the Z71 option! Maybe if we all complained to GM about this injustice they would issue a TSB to all dealer's to reflash the DICs on request of the customer. It may only get done when there are lawsuits from trucks rolling over in the trails or accidents happening when drivers literally have to take their eyes off the road to look down under the steering wheel to see what 4WD mode their in. I myself am going to try to file a complaint with the NTSB about this very dangerous situation with GM's design flaw on these trucks. This is just an accident waiting to happen!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
People have said the new models have a 4x4 indicator light on the dash. Seems as if GM fixed the issue of no indicator for the new year trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
For the 2018's?

Yes in one of the ZR2 threads for the 2018. I'd assume it'd be in all 4x4 trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I noticed on my 2018 Z71 order sheet it shows RPO-UDD: Enhanced Driver Information Center, Multi-Color. So there is a possibility it could include Off-Road mode on the DIC. I guess I'll have to wait for my truck to find out or we hear from another owner of a 2018....

·
Registered
444 Posts
I noticed on my 2018 Z71 order sheet it shows RPO-UDD: Enhanced Driver Information Center, Multi-Color. So there is a possibility it could include Off-Road mode on the DIC. I guess I'll have to wait for my truck to find out or we hear from another owner of a 2018....
My 2017 has this on the build sheet:

UDD - DISPLAY, MULTI-COLOR DRIVER INSTRUMENT INFO ENHANCED
So, no, I think it is "enhanced" compared to the black and white screen on the WT, etc.

This is something that GM could back-implement, and I hope they do, but I'm not optimistic they will.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA concerning GM's lack of giving us a 4WD indicator light and not making the "Off-Road" menu available on these trucks. The complaint is now under review and if there are more complaints on this they will do a full investigation & a possible recall. I urge everyone of you to also file a complaint on this issue if you want results. You can refer to Complaint #11023887 which should post on their site within 48hrs and I will try to post an image of it here.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA concerning GM's lack of giving us a 4WD indicator light and not making the "Off-Road" menu available on these trucks. The complaint is now under review and if there are more complaints on this they will do a full investigation & a possible recall. I urge everyone of you to also file a complaint on this issue if you want results. You can refer to Complaint #11023887 which should post on their site within 48hrs and I will try to post an image of it here.
Sorry, just realized image was cut off.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.