Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends and I were out offroading yesterday. Somehow I got a large piece of wood stuck up in next to my cv shaft and tore the boot. I also lost my front license plate along the trail somehow. I wish I knew where it was. The cv boot I consider normal wear and tear, however I'm kinda pissed about my front plate being tore off when I don't remember hitting anything. No scratches or any damage to the bumper just ripped the plate right off. The screws are even still there with no signs of stress.

In light of these events I've decided to build a bull bar. A friend of mine has a metal shop and builds a lot of stuff for his own truck. I'm going to attempt to design and build from scratch. If anyone has done it or bought one and could share some likes and dislikes of their own that would be helpful.

Thanks!
Ryan

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I got my front license plate torn off on one of my first off road adventures as well. Fortunately it was found and later re-attached.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The front license plate holder has an inherently weak attachment design. One of the self-tapping screws they used on my truck had stripped by whoever installed it, so I drilled new holes and put some nuts & bolts on.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
No front tag! One of the things Pennsylvania got right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So today the project has officially begun. My friend and I took some measurements and we have a good plan for moving forward. For the moment I need to take off my stock tow hooks and get all the rust off. The are rusted on so I'll have to try some different methods to get the bolts loose. The will then be covered in bed liner and bolted back onto a new bracket using grade 8 bolts which hopefully won't rust. The rest of the bull bar will get powder coated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts