Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Off road tire pressures

In thirty years of owning 4X4's I don't ever recall dropping tire pressure when off road. I'm going to play at Sand Lake at the Oregon coast this weekend and know I should drop from the 35psi I run on road. How low do you guys go?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I haven't off taken the colorado off road yet. I normally drop my FSJ Cherokee to 11. It sports 37"x17 Goodyear MTRs.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking 10-12lbs, that's what I run in my 14X34 slicks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Well.......we had 32's (32x11.50's) on the old 96 tacoma for several years. Aired down to about 12psi.

Had 35's (35 x 12.50) on the Jeep for 8 years - Aired down to about 12psi.

We bought Oasis Automatic Tire Deflators. You buy them in a range of PSI. Set them up to where you want them, and screw them on and drive. They air down the tires themselves as you drive...pretty slick.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I only usully air down to about 15. it really is kind of a guessing game as to how low you will want to go. My grandfather told me once something about not airing down below 10 psi if you're not running beadlocks or D-E rated tires. How much of that is accurate, I don't know but I will say I have never had a tire come off the rim

·
Registered
748 Posts
I usually air down until I JUST start to see sidewall flex on pavement or hardpack. It would depend on how much gear I'm carrying. I think I shoot for between 15-20 ish but I don't stop at a certain number.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My grandfather told me once something about not airing down below 10 psi if you're not running beadlocks or D-E rated tires. How much of that is accurate,
Yes...there is truth to that. How low? Depends on the tire / wheel size combination and the situation you're in. Some serious rockcrawlers get down to 5psi without bead locks. It just all depends.

Even at 12psi, you can lose a bead pending the situation. I highly recommend doing some google searching on how to re-seat the bead..... there are many methods, some are a bit sketchy especially if you don't have air/compressor. I'm sure you've all seen the videos - lighter fluid and a match.

We had onboard air on the Jeep - we'd wrap a ratchet strap the whole way around the tread of the tire and just pump air in. It would eventually pop into place.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think losing a tire bead would ruin your day. I just picked up a 24 volt LiPo battery powered air compressor, it's rated at 7 [email protected] psi. I'll find out today how it works, leaving in 2 hrs for the playground.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had a 7500-pound V10 Ram 2500 on Mickey Thompson 33s and I could just float over the lightest, powdery sand by airing down to only ~20. There's a place near my house where even the briefest reduction in forward momentum will have you digging straight down at street pressures, but 20 PSI does the job from a full stop in 4-high with barely any spin. Here in FL we don't exactly get to do rock crawling but for other offroading I've never seen much point in going super-low.

·
Vendor
415 Posts
The ideal pressure for a given tire varies by its construction, diameter, and width. So some experimentation with your set up is needed to get it dialed perfectly.

Generally, I air down to 20psi + or - (can depend on how many pavement connectors I think we'll hit). This helps with traction and more importantly improves the ride substantially. And while not guaranteed, losing a bead seems like a really bad time so I'll trade a bit of grip to avoid it. Plus, I'm really not running trails that would necessitate excessive deflation to run them safely so I don't see much additional benefit from going lower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.