Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Vendor
106 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve been looking for a solution to this as well. Just bought a ZR2 and don’t want to go the AMP STEP Route.

I wonder if there’s any existing steps we can get someone to weld on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Finally, somebody has done what I was wondering about: Instead of adding steps to ZR2 rock sliders, modify them exactly like in this video (from the 6:00 minute to 7:00 minute mark.) Or, just watch the whole 8:20 video. Its pretty good.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Finally, somebody has done what I was wondering about: Instead of adding steps to ZR2 rock sliders, modify them exactly like in this video (from the 6:00 minute to 7:00 minute mark.) Or, just watch the whole 8:20 video. Its pretty good.
Do it and let us know if it supports weight, and how difficult it is :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do it and let us know if it supports weight, and how difficult it is :)
I figure it wouldn't cost too much to have a shop weld on another tube to the slider and have it stick out about 4 inches or more should be enough. I

·
Registered
135 Posts
I figure it wouldn't cost too much to have a shop weld on another tube to the slider and have it stick out about 4 inches or more should be enough. I
I don't think you need another tube. I will start looking for a willing and affordable weld shop to cut, flip, and re-attach level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1lZ6wlMlo
Hey that's my video! (Well me and my beautiful wife!) Thanks! We put a lot of work into it. As for the steps: They are stainless steel and I used stainless steel welding rod and my trusty arc welder. I removed the sliders, marked the brackets and then cut them off as close to the tube as possible. After cleaning the soon to be welded spots, I mounted the brackets back on the truck and used jack stands and blocks to hold the steps in place at approximately a 90 degree angle (I eyeballed it). When I was happy with the position I tacked the tube to the brackets and removed from truck for final welding. Bolted back up and then proceeded to scrape on rocks and have all sorts of fun with em! I would estimate I spent 5-6 hours give or take a little. Very happy with the result. Oh yeah, I did flip them over so there wasn't as much of a pocket for mud to collect on top of the step. Look at your sliders from underneath and you'll see what I mean. We will probably do another video that covers this but it will be a little bit before it comes out. Happy welding!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't think you need another tube. I will start looking for a willing and affordable weld shop to cut, flip, and re-attach level.
I meant no reason to cut up oem sliders, just have a shop measure, put two bends on each end of the new tube and weld.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy ZR2 ECLB, Blue-the best color
261 Posts
Hey that's my video! (Well me and my beautiful wife!) Thanks! We put a lot of work into it. As for the steps: They are stainless steel and I used stainless steel welding rod and my trusty arc welder. I removed the sliders, marked the brackets and then cut them off as close to the tube as possible. After cleaning the soon to be welded spots, I mounted the brackets back on the truck and used jack stands and blocks to hold the steps in place at approximately a 90 degree angle (I eyeballed it). When I was happy with the position I tacked the tube to the brackets and removed from truck for final welding. Bolted back up and then proceeded to scrape on rocks and have all sorts of fun with em! I would estimate I spent 5-6 hours give or take a little. Very happy with the result. Oh yeah, I did flip them over so there wasn't as much of a pocket for mud to collect on top of the step. Look at your sliders from underneath and you'll see what I mean. We will probably do another video that covers this but it will be a little bit before it comes out. Happy welding!
i guess the real question is...does brooke have a single sister?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guy's & Gal's , I used 'Bully BBS-1101S Black Bull Series Universal Truck Aluminum Adjustable Side Hoop Step' Single Piece Black Powder Coated Includes Mounting Brackets -
$44.99.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy ZR2 ECLB, Blue-the best color
261 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer the stock black Chevy steps. They work as rock sliders/body damage prevention and they are safer to step on getting in and out of the truck. I had mine coated in Rhino Shield so no more paint flake off.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.