Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
For anyone wanting to do this mod, I have sourced a few extras of some key parts, and have them listed for sale. (the tailgate handle with newer style crab arm and the spring loaded lock housing)

PM me for details.

Registered
Finished mine today. Sort of. I had to forge my own connector which. The GM harness was out of stock everywhere.

You need
1-1718643-1
And a 100 pack of terminals
7-1452671-1

Plus a open barrel crimping tool. Any should be fine and you can find weatherpack ones on Amazon for like $20.

The only part I bought was the actuator from Tasca. The lock housing and arm were taken from a totaled Chevy Silverado.

You do not need a locksmith to open the housings. You can simply use a paper clip and shim it in. You can wiggle your own incorrect key in to help wiggle the sliders and make it easier to shim.

Registered
I have the connector for the actuator. I will get some wire and covering for it when I get the tail gate parts installed. I have some old weather pack connectors from previous projects that I will probably use.

Registered
2019 Z71 2WD EC
Nice job and write up!

I added the same thing to my Colorado - power tailgate lock. I also fabricated a power tailgate release at the same time.

Here is my write up:
My 2019 Colorado Tailgate.

Registered
Thanks to the OP & fondupot for their pioneering work and detailed writeup/videos. I was blown away by how detailed they both were.

After reading around the forum and watching fondupots video I decided to go this route because I previously had a pop-n-lock on my 2013 and it was always acting up and giving me issues.

With the part numbers in this thread I was able to order the parts direct through the dealership and even though the wiring harness for the actuator was on constraint it ended up coming in about 5 days after the other parts showed up.

I just finished the install on my 2016 CCLB 2.8L and there were a few things that are different on the 2016 model year.

The first issue I had was that the 2016 camera will not mount directly into the new handle assembly. Well it does but it will not sit flush so I had to dremel out the hole to make the camera mount the best it could. After I got that done and put the assembly back into the tailgate I realized the mounting holes for the camera bracket do not line up with the holes on the new tailgate handle piece. Since the dremel was out I just opened those up and used washers to get purchase on the bracket. The camera works the same and there are no issues with field of view. I'll see how it works over the next few months and hopefully no issues arise.

Next thing is that there are no mounting points on the 2016 tailgate for the actuator. I had to drill holes which was pretty simple. Once I got those holes lined up I realized the mounting points on the newer tailgates are also recessed so on my tailgate the actuator bracket is sitting proud and prevents the tailgate access panel from sitting flush. I have a drop in bed liner which covers the access panel so I'm not terribly worried about that for the time being. I will be dropping a decked system into my truck in the next month or so and I will take a look at remedying this issue at that point.

All in all this is doable on a 2016 but even less "plug and play" than what you see in fondupot's video. The install took me awhile as there were a few things I wasn't expecting that I had to overcome to get things done. Upon install the first thing I noticed was how quiet the actuator is. I thought I messed something up as I couldn't hear anything but I kept pressing lock and unlock and trying the lock and it was good to go.

Thanks again to luciferi & fondupot for blazing the trail.

Registered
I finally finished the install. Works great. 2018 does not have the recessed mounting holes. I used washers to space the actuator inside the tailgate so the actuator engages in the handle. Also had to open up some holes for the camera to fit in the new handle but it looks stock and works great. Other than that it works exactly as designed. Thanks to Fondupot and luciferi for all the leg work and video. It is very helpful.

Registered
Finished mine today. Sort of. I had to forge my own connector which. The GM harness was out of stock everywhere.

You need
1-1718643-1
And a 100 pack of terminals
7-1452671-1

Plus a open barrel crimping tool. Any should be fine and you can find weatherpack ones on Amazon for like $20.

The only part I bought was the actuator from Tasca. The lock housing and arm were taken from a totaled Chevy Silverado.

You do not need a locksmith to open the housings. You can simply use a paper clip and shim it in. You can wiggle your own incorrect key in to help wiggle the sliders and make it easier to shim.
Thank you all for this thread. 2 questions:

Is that connector for attaching to the oem harness or directly to the actuator? I assume the harness?

Can you elaborate on opening a housing you don't have a key for? Perhaps a video of that :) pretty please?

Registered

Is that connector for attaching to the oem harness or directly to the actuator? I assume the harness?

Can you elaborate on opening a housing you don't have a key for? Perhaps a video of that :) pretty please?
Actuator. There is no OEM harness. As an alternative I found just random terminals work fine to plug into the actuator. You can then just tape around it.

Anyway so for cracking open the cyllinder. Unfortunately I don鈥檛 have one on hand right now to make a video.

1. have some paper clips and your key on hand.
2. Insert your key (yes the wrong one). On the rear side on the top and bottom you should see sliders popping up and down.
3. Insert a paper clip into both the top and bottom holes where you saw those sliders. You may need to use multiple paper clips. Just depends on the size. You want the paper clip to rest on the slider which will be dislodged as your key is in there.
4. Slowly pull back on your key while pushing the paper clips forward. You are trying to jam the paper clip such that the slider gets locked flush. Flush is the correct position.
5. Continue until you get all 6 pins. Note the key is made for 8 pins but only the first 6 are used in this lock. If the key gets stuck just relieve pressure and push it back forward one pin.
6. Should now be unlocked and you can turn. It鈥檚 possible one of the sliders will not quite be flush. Just give your paper clips a little jiggle while turning.
7. Realise you turned it the wrong way and repeat step 6.
8. Turn until the retainer pops out. It has a spring. Don鈥檛 let the spring fly away on you.

Registered

Wait sorry. Maybe I did not get the question.

The prts I listed are for hooking to the actuator.

The harness uses the same connector but different key. I don鈥檛 know which partnumber. I highly recommend just using a different one for that (ie weatherpack).

Registered
Actuator. There is no OEM harness. As an alternative I found just random terminals work fine to plug into the actuator. You can then just tape around it.

Anyway so for cracking open the cyllinder. Unfortunately I don鈥檛 have one on hand right now to make a video.

1. have some paper clips and your key on hand.
2. Insert your key (yes the wrong one). On the rear side on the top and bottom you should see sliders popping up and down.
3. Insert a paper clip into both the top and bottom holes where you saw those sliders. You may need to use multiple paper clips. Just depends on the size. You want the paper clip to rest on the slider which will be dislodged as your key is in there.
4. Slowly pull back on your key while pushing the paper clips forward. You are trying to jam the paper clip such that the slider gets locked flush. Flush is the correct position.
5. Continue until you get all 6 pins. Note the key is made for 8 pins but only the first 6 are used in this lock. If the key gets stuck just relieve pressure and push it back forward one pin.
6. Should now be unlocked and you can turn. It鈥檚 possible one of the sliders will not quite be flush. Just give your paper clips a little jiggle while turning.
7. Realise you turned it the wrong way and repeat step 6.
8. Turn until the retainer pops out. It has a spring. Don鈥檛 let the spring fly away on you.
Thank you!

So key is inserted in front and paperclips in back chasing the pins? Or are you jamming everything in the front, haha?

Registered
I am working on sourcing all the parts from a 2020 to swap into my 2019. So far I have found the following part number with the help of @bumbletruck, he has a 2020 and took some pics of his interior tailgate for me. Attached is what the 2020 Colorado looks like.
View attachment 389565

Part numbers I am able to determine needed are:
Actuator: 84665198
Harness: 84666895
Bracket: 84537762
Handle w/ camera: 84377237

I'll be ordering these parts soon and attempting a retrofit using some of the OP's info from this thread, and my own knowledge of Pop-n-lock.

Will see what happens.

I am having issues locating Harness: 84666895 has anyone been able to locate it

Premium Member
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain X 4WD V6 3.6L Gas Engine
Guys, I am doing this mod for my 2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain (THANK YOU Foundupots at this forum!). I have all of my OEM parts below:
Spring loaded lock housing - GM Part # 23338181
Actuator w/ bracket: GM Part # 84790352
Actuator Power Harness: GM Part # 84951860
Tailgate Handle in Chrome GM Part # 84750187 for Models with Rear Vision (I don't have HD camera so its a smaller opening) Camera and Locking Tailgate. I could have gone with a Tailgate handle all in black 84376533, but I really wanted that chrome to see the handle better at night.

So far I put them together into the tailgate except the actual connection to the BCM searching for an answer to this question: opposed to connecting the Actuator Harness to the BCM via a non OEM 16/2 Copper Wire, is there an OEM Wire or Harness that could connect right to the end of the actuator harness so it doesn't have to be snip off to and create a more of an OEM set up to run along the body into the cab to the BCM? Thank you all!
Human Sleeve Gesture Finger Font

Attachments

Registered
2017 Black Z71 diesel CC LB
i've found all the Colorado parts minus the harness:

Actuator w/ bracket: GM Part # 84665198 (only found this on ebay 馃)
Actuator Power Harness: GM Part # 84666895 (all the usual places can't find that part number)
Tailgate Handle w/ camera opening: GM Part # 84377237

@SarahConnorT2 i note you are doing this with slightly different part numbers on a canyon with chrome handle, but also your harness part number is different: 84951860. but your actuator/bracket is also different (84790352).
if your harness has the same blue connector, it should work. can you confirm/deny? does it look like the one in fondupot's video?

Registered
i've found all the Colorado parts minus the harness:

Actuator w/ bracket: GM Part # 84665198 (only found this on ebay 馃)
Actuator Power Harness: GM Part # 84666895 (all the usual places can't find that part number)
Tailgate Handle w/ camera opening: GM Part # 84377237

@SarahConnorT2 i note you are doing this with slightly different part numbers on a canyon with chrome handle, but also your harness part number is different: 84951860. but your actuator/bracket is also different (84790352).
if your harness has the same blue connector, it should work. can you confirm/deny? does it look like the one in fondupot's video?

Food Font Material property Ticket Electric blue

Automotive lighting Hood Gesture Automotive mirror Automotive design

Registered
2017 Black Z71 diesel CC LB
Looks the same at first glance? I鈥檒l take a closer look when my actuator comes in

Registered
Hi

I want to do this tail gate mod to my 2019 Canyon SLT ever since I read post a couple years ago, For some reason or another I kept putting it off. But nows the time.
Plus the 2020 -2021 Canyons now have this feature and there should be OEM parts that I can order. I see many part numbers being posted on your feed but not sure what I eaxtly need.
Can some one update me with provifding list of the parts with part numbers that I need now that the 2020 2021s parts are available to do this conversion.

Thanks

Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
Hi

I want to do this tail gate mod to my 2019 Canyon SLT ever since I read post a couple years ago, For some reason or another I kept putting it off. But nows the time.
Plus the 2020 -2021 Canyons now have this feature and there should be OEM parts that I can order. I see many part numbers being posted on your feed but not sure what I eaxtly need.
Can some one update me with provifding list of the parts with part numbers that I need now that the 2020 2021s parts are available to do this conversion.

Thanks
Watch my video. It has part numbers listed in video description. Should help you figure out what you need.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts