Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2020 oem electronic tailgate lock can be retrofitted?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
I am working on sourcing all the parts from a 2020 to swap into my 2019. So far I have found the following part number with the help of @bumbletruck, he has a 2020 and took some pics of his interior tailgate for me. Attached is what the 2020 Colorado looks like.
Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior

Part numbers I am able to determine needed are:
Actuator: 84665198
Harness: 84666895
Bracket: 84537762
Handle w/ camera: 84377237

I'll be ordering these parts soon and attempting a retrofit using some of the OP's info from this thread, and my own knowledge of Pop-n-lock.

Will see what happens.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am working on sourcing all the parts from a 2020 to swap into my 2019. So far I have found the following part number with the help of @bumbletruck, he has a 2020 and took some pics of his interior tailgate for me. Attached is what the 2020 Colorado looks like.
View attachment 389565

Part numbers I am able to determine needed are:
Actuator: 84665198
Harness: 84666895
Bracket: 84537762
Handle w/ camera: 84377237

I'll be ordering these parts soon and attempting a retrofit using some of the OP's info from this thread, and my own knowledge of Pop-n-lock.

Will see what happens.
Awesome, keep us posted. I would love for the tailgate to work with the doors like my 2016 F150 XL (work truck). I cannot believe this was overlooked when the 2nd gens were launched.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out how to remove the key cores from the lock housings. I filmed it so, it will be in my eventual video of this whole retrofit process.

Been working on this today and test fitting pieces. I got to a point where I was ready to start hooking up to the BCM controls for the lock/unlock signal, when I realized I had a similar problem as OP with the key core lock cylinder. the lock core from my 2019 is the 45 degree style core where unlocked the key is straight up and down. Locked is a 45 degree turn. So if you tried to unlock with the key fob, actuator would not be able to turn, because the arm on key lock housing blocks the plastic "crab" arm on the tailgate mechanism.

I just randomly decided to check out my 2016 Silverado work truck and found that it has the spring loaded lock cylinder. Where the key always returns to center, and a quick right flick, or left flick, locks and unlocks the tailgate. I pulled it out of my silverado, and swapped it into my Canyon to test fit, and sure enough it works fine, and does not block the white plastic "crab" arm on the tailgate mechanism. So the actuator would be able to lock and unlock with the key fob and/or with the key, no matter what.

Now I just gotta figure out how he was able to swap the actual key cores from the Canyon lock housing to the Silverado spring loaded one. And I'd be in business.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Apparently there are folks who claim the PopandLock is loud or clunks?? Mine does not seem loud and certainly no louder than the click for my Leer Cap. So this is pretty clever and well done, but don't understand why anyone would go to this effort when the PopandLock is pretty easy to install?? Missing something I guess and no disrespect intended.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Apparently there are folks who claim the PopandLock is loud or clunks?? Mine does not seem loud and certainly no louder than the click for my Leer Cap. So this is pretty clever and well done, but don't understand why anyone would go to this effort when the PopandLock is pretty easy to install?? Missing something I guess and no disrespect intended.
I think the appeal is perceived better quality of the OEM lock. We shall see what it all costs I guess. Looks like about $100?? Not bad.
The pop and lock is kind of loud but so what? I like to hear it lock and unlock anyway.
And yes, it probably is easier to install actually, if you add in all these parts listed for the OEM one.
Let's see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
in addition to the noise, a few of us have here (and documented on other forums for other trucks) have had the actuators fail after the warranty. I guess there is hope that an OEM solution would last longer

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I had a pop n lock on my 2017 Colorado. It stopped working after about 2 years.

So I wanted to go the OEM route to hopefully get better longevity.

·
Registered
2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 3.6L V6
111 Posts
We installed the Pop & Lock PL8140 in July 2016, so I guess this month is our 4-year anniversary. No issues (knock on wood). Well worth the money.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Those actuators are dirt cheap, the problem would be finding the right one to replace it I think.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Success. I got my OEM tailgate lock installed and wired and it works like a charm. It’s indeed much quieter than a pop n lock.

I’ll be compiling my videos and posting my install video to YouTube soon. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Cant wait I want one on my Canyon
Start looking for the lock housing that has the spring loaded lever arm on it. The one on the left in my photo below. Because the other lock housing (on the right) does not work with the oem tailgate lock actuator.

I believe the part number is 23189756, but I cannot confirm that, becuase it says its th same for 2019 and 2020. But I know that is not true...

This is the most imporant part, because if you dont have this, the whole ordeal is useless.

Auto part Metal Copper

I think the harness will most likely just go from the lock to the bottom of the tail gate?? It will most likely still need 2 wires going inside the cab to connect to the door lock actuator wires.
I used this harness. The blue side connects to the OEM actuator motor (part # 84665198) Then I cut off the other side and added a new 2 pin male/female connector. Then I ran new 16/2 wire up to the cab and tapped into the BCM for the door locks.

It will all be explained in my video...eventually.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Start looking for the lock housing that has the spring loaded lever arm on it. The one on the left in my photo below. Because the other lock housing (on the right) does not work with the oem tailgate lock actuator.

I believe the part number is 23189756, but I cannot confirm that, becuase it says its th same for 2019 and 2020. But I know that is not true...

This is the most imporant part, because if you dont have this, the whole ordeal is useless.

View attachment 393787

I used this harness. The blue side connects to the OEM actuator motor (part # 84665198) Then I cut off the other side and added a new 2 pin male/female connector. Then I ran new 16/2 wire up to the cab and tapped into the BCM for the door locks.

It will all be explained in my video...eventually.
Nice, congrats! If my pop and lock ever croaks I'll look into this.
Where do you get GM parts?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Cant we get the pawl only and not the whole lock cylinder? That dam thing is expensive.
Neg. the lock bodies are deferent. The lever arm doesn’t transfer over.

Best bet is to find a full set of the newer tailgate handle with a lock cylinder already installed. Like on eBay or something. Like the OP of this thread did. Then you just swap your core over.

I honestly got lucky because my work truck had the spring loaded lock housing so I took it from there. And I put the old lock housing from my Canyon in my Silverado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 62 Posts