Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ZR2 came with the bed mounted spare option, which is cool and all, but I intend to actually use the bed occasionally. "No big deal", I thought. "I'll just move the spare under the bed". Well, as it turns out, if you opt for the bed mounted spare you may not get the under bed mount, so of course I don't have one. I'm going to order the parts and install it myself, but I have no idea exactly what I'm missing. Can anyone take a picture of the stock spare mount without the tire in it? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know, I was using that initially but my concern is I'm missing more than that. Also they appear to have covered up the "hoist" area (part 1 per the website linked) with adhesive foam. Just want to see what it should look like when I'm finished, lol.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Yeah I know, I was using that initially but my concern is I'm missing more than that. Also they appear to have covered up the "hoist" area (part 1 per the website linked) with adhesive foam. Just want to see what it should look like when I'm finished, lol.
Take a look at the photos from the bed delete thread. It will not help a lot, but with the bed out of the way, you will get a view from another angle.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Had a flat... here is my zr2 on the lift. Sorry best I have
Looking at these pics, when you have the spare mounted in bed, is there something to protect all of the electrical tucked up above the spare when mounted under the truck??

·
Registered
37 Posts
My ZR2 came with the bed mounted spare option, which is cool and all, but I intend to actually use the bed occasionally. "No big deal", I thought. "I'll just move the spare under the bed". Well, as it turns out, if you opt for the bed mounted spare you may not get the under bed mount, so of course I don't have one. I'm going to order the parts and install it myself, but I have no idea exactly what I'm missing. Can anyone take a picture of the stock spare mount without the tire in it? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything...

I'm moving mine up into the bed. I have the N-Fab tire straps on order and then I will build a box over the tire. Hope these help. You can see I have some duct tape wrapped around the spring so it doesn't rattle with the holder. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I recall reading about people trying to hang the factory aluminum rims under the bed and encountering clearance issues. The stock spare comes on a steel rim.

I'm assuming the bed-mounted spare option comes with a fancy matching rim and tire, not the plain-jane spare the rest of us get. You may find you need to modify the parts under the bed to fit your spare.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The OP's ZR2 would have a full size spare under the bed. The OP needs the hoist w/3 bolts and the aluminum cover w/7-8 push pins. The bed mount would have been a dealer installed option.

Reactions: USNGoat

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I recall reading about people trying to hang the factory aluminum rims under the bed and encountering clearance issues. The stock spare comes on a steel rim.

I'm assuming the bed-mounted spare option comes with a fancy matching rim and tire, not the plain-jane spare the rest of us get. You may find you need to modify the parts under the bed to fit your spare.
OEM Z71 rims fit fine. As long as the center bore in the wheel is greater than 2.25", the wheel will fit over the bracket for the hoist. The spare steelie center is about 3", and my Z71 2.5".

·
Registered
11,493 Posts

OEM Z71 rims fit fine. As long as the center bore in the wheel is greater than 2.25", the wheel will fit over the bracket for the hoist. The spare steelie center is about 3", and my Z71 2.5".
I would think the tire OD would be the issue, not the rim. That shield from the exhaust limits the outside diameter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.