Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
good day all,

I just had the CEL come on, on my 2106 gmc canyon 4 wd 2.5l extended can pickup. just turned over 100k
been good all along other then a reprogram for an idle shutter at stops, intermediately, a few other maintenance things,
and a rear water outlet on the block/head that was leaking at temp sensor and hoses that I replaced.
I baby the hell out of this thing as I worked long and hard to save up to buy new with cash.

Its been awesome all along but just about 1 week ago,
about 0 degrees out driving for about 1/2 hour then the CEL came on:
ran no different. no smell of fuel.
got home scanned and codes came up as:
P0448 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Shorted
P0449 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit

so I checked the fuse under hood for EVAP canister vent, fine.
I checked electrical connection plug to the canister vent, fine
replaced vapor canister purge valve under the hood
replaced canister vent valve solenoid
check over lines to and from tank, canister, and engine best I could without removing tank
replaced fuel cap
removed and checked over canister for any cracks leaks and all connections etc.
cleaned canister filter foam

I can reset the light, with my scanner but as soon as I turn truck off and restart the CEL doesn't turn off after start up like it normally would but remains on, when i scan I get the same two codes over and over :

any thoughts, help, similar issues or suggestions would be appreciated.

· Registered
10,705 Posts
Is your gas cap on tight?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have since removed and replaced the entire canister , rechecked all line to can, and replaced the fuel cap.
checked neck spout to and from tank as well as the vent (hard) line on the spout
no leaks cracks.
No change.

I can reset the light, with my scanner but as soon as I turn truck off and restart the CEL doesn't turn off after start up like it normally would but remains on, when i scan I get the same two codes over and over :

· Super Moderator
2022 Colorado LT
233 Posts
I have since removed and replaced the entire canister , rechecked all line to can, and replaced the fuel cap.
checked neck spout to and from tank as well as the vent (hard) line on the spout
no leaks cracks.
No change.

It may be time for a trip to the dealership. Seems like you’ve already dumped a lot of money and time into this problem. Let us know if this gets resolved!

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll keep on searching and troubleshooting.
I never take any of my things to "the dealership" or anyone else for that matter....no one has respect for anything.

in searching i find some saying P0449 is always electrical not mechanical, other say differently.
with both codes p0448 and p0449 occurring, trying to narrow down if one would set of the other and vise versa.
going to try to find time to start tracing and checking wires next.
I did already replace the connection and plug to the solenoid vent in the canister, but it made no difference.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
from what I read is the vent solenoid in the canister is always powered 12 v?
but only supplied with a ground to complete the circuit when the pcm tells it too?
is this correct?
what is the best way to trace this wiring system to confirm it is receiving the proper power at the proper time to the canister vent solenoid?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts