Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Truck seat covers are up to 76% off right now on eBay. Click here for Black! Tan! Multi-coloured! even Camo!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 White Z71 Duramax CCLB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent visit to the dealer has me wondering if anyone has or has thought up a lock to prevent access to the OBD port?

My reasoning being some of us (diesel guys primarily) May or may not have software installed that is no longer available due to government agency crackdowns. A lock to prevent connection to the port would be a nice peace of mind piece to ensure that some random tech doesn’t decide to preform the ECU recall work even though I specifically requested no one is to touch the OBD/ECU.

I looked up locks and the European market uses locks for anti theft. I’m sure someone could come up with a similar solution closer to home.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,764 Posts
I added a “lock” on my OBD2 port by wrapping a hose clamp around it. I intentionally put the screw on the hose clamp in a position that makes it difficult to access.

Not really a lock but it would definitely stop most people. I added it to keep my Scangauge plug from vibrating loose all the time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My truck is current getting a trans flush and fluid change to the new Mobil 1 atf but I’ll take a look when it’s done. I was thinking more like a hinged cover with a locking catch. although a hose clamp would do the job I was thinking something that a tech see and say “I probably should ask the owner before I mess with this”.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive Seen them as well. I’m probably just being paranoid but ever since they pulled the tunes the thought of some young inexperienced tech attempting to complete the ECU recall and turning my truck into a brick has been running through my mind.

I do most service myself but I wanted to switch the trans fluid to the mobile 1 which required a flush, for which I don’t own a machine. Hopefully this will be the last dealer trip for a long while.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I don't know $90.00 seems a lot but it would do the trick.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I have a Scan Gage II plugged in to my port, I get a email each month saying they can't read my info, all I get is mileage and oil life.

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Given the purpose of protecting your no-longer-available tune, do you know someone with HPTuners or equivalent? It does not cost any credits to read and save a tune, but if you need to write it back to the ECU in the future it is $50-$100 in credits for the first time write and unlimited to the same vehicle after that. Might be good insurance.

Edit: I have done that on all my vehicles for the last 20 years. Now have the latest HPTuners. Save the original file, and then any iteration whether dealer reflash or tunes, so I have every variation to write or compare. For example mine has the tune for the supercharger, but I went in and disabled the AFM so it never runs on 4 cylinders, but kept the previous file too and the oem so if I ever remove the supercharger I can easily go back to stock.

·
Registered
10,832 Posts
I think I would find the power wire to the port and put a hidden switch on it. That way it won't power up any scan tool.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have a Scan Gage II plugged in to my port, I get a email each month saying they can't read my info, all I get is mileage and oil life.
Ditto with my Banks iDash, although I sometimes randomly get all the information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.