Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I bought a 05 colorado a week later I notice white goo under my oil cap. After research I found this could be condensation or a head gasket. Well I block tested for the head gasket that came back fine. I got the oil changed the other day. Now the goo is back and now it was on my dip stick before it wasn't it was just under the cap. Now the thing that's confusing me is that I'm not losing any coolant, truck is not over heating, no white smoke, just the white goo is the anything else that could cause this?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
This is a frequent cold weather complaint that comes up just about every winter. Condensation forms in the engine, especially those areas that don't normally reach high temperatures. It is more prevalent in the colder climates. If you don't drive the truck, each time, for a length of time that would "burn off" the condensation it will collect as gunk, particularly under the filler cap and sometimes on the dipstick. I haven't heard of anyone experiencing engine damage from this condition. Try driving the truck for a while after it has reached normal operating temperature and see if the problem clears up some.

These are not the only vehicles to experience this problem.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Try a cooling system pressure test. Quick and easy to do. If it does not leak down, then we can assume it is not a cooling system leak.

You might want to send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs in Ft. Wayne and see what is really in that oil. ($25.00)

Other than combustion by products, water or coolant usually enters the oil system through a leaking head gasket or a leaking oil cooler in the radiator. Usually if it is the oil cooler you will also see oil in the radiator.

Gas and moisture pollutants in the oil are usually sucked through crankcase ventilation system, into the intake manifold, and burned. Maybe you have an issue there.

Small amounts of condensed water is normal in cold weather with the engine only used on short runs where the engine does not warm up enough to fully vaporize it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.