Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After debating for months, I bought a 2017 colorado z71 duramax. Right off the bat, I heard a rattle coming from seat belt area that drove me crazy (especially left ear). About a week later, another loud rattle from the passenger side glove box area is present. That same day, I crawled underneath just to observe and found grease slung everywhere. The driver side cv boot was busted. The next day I discovered several bubbles in the clear coat on passenger side of the bed.

Anyone have any of the issues? Currently have 323 miles on it and pretty disapponted. Its currently at dealer to adress rattles and cv boot. Im not sure what they will do about the clear coat issues.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, the fisheyes in the paint is common. I guess where the trucks for painted is an older facility.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the driver side seat belt rattle. play with the top adjuster a bit to moderate it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have messed with it quite a bit with no luck. What's weird is it seems to go away after 30 minutes of driving...They are replacing it today, so we'll see.
Had the same seat belt rattle on my 2016 where it came outta the wall. Best advice is the "jostle" it around on the wall a bit. Just seemed to get out of place on occasion and running it up and down the height settings settled it down. Like the worst spot possible for a rattle as well being right at ear level!

Had a number of other rattles too: Driver front speaker unrelated to the stereo-more of a resonant rattle from rough roads about 40 mph that was never fixed, door panels on both sides that were intermittent and of course "not-able-to-replicate" at the dealer, A/C controls that had to be replaced from the knob buzzing on even smooth roads, seat warmer switch that was loose in the slot from the factory, infamous steering wheel airbag spring that had the TSB done twice, even a bolt that no one to this day can tell me what it went to that they had to pull the entire passenger side apart to get to in the frame that rolled back going uphill and forward going down that was apparently dropped in production!

·
Registered
662 Posts
When I read reviews like this I feel like I am reading about another truck. This is one of the tightest vehicles I've driven. Maybe all the cheap plastic in the WT is secured better, LOL.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Belts are an issue in many cars. Most times they replace them or even pack them with silicone to dampen the rattle.

I have not had any issues other than the paint. While mine is not bad enough to worry about it should be better. But it was there when I bought it and it was not enough to stop me from buying.

Overall I have had a very good new owner experience.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
One possible source of rattles on the diesel is the ECM. It is mounted to the firewall on the passenger side and is held in place with two plastic clips. It is a pretty hefty piece of aluminum and the low vibe of the diesel can make it put out a low rattle that sounds like it is coming from the glovebox. The issue is easily fixed - the ECM can be removed from it's clips with no tools, put some self sticking closed cell weatherstripping foam on the back and reinstall. This keeps it from rattling. No issues to date, other than the rattly ECM - knocking on wood.

Really liking the diesel powerband. Ya, it is not fast in a drag race, but what I really like is the diesel feels like a real truck engine, with lots of effortless low down grunt that just begs to pull a load. Hills and Colorado's elevation do not phase it. It just dials up more boost, makes more torque, holds onto 6th gear where everything else I have driven needs two downshifts and 4,000 rpm, all the while making cool diesel noises and feeling solid and unstoppable on the open road at only 1,800 RPM. This is a driving experience that is unique in a mid size truck - no other power train offers it. Also, with more break in (nearing 6K miles now), the fuel economy is becoming ridiculously awesome.

Don't let the early niggles get ya down, it will be fine. I was a little nervous at first, taking the diesel leap. Now I am glad I sprung for the Minimax. It is just plain cool :smile: I hope you wind up loving your truck as much as I love mine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
After debating for months, I bought a 2017 colorado z71 duramax. Right off the bat, I heard a rattle coming from seat belt area that drove me crazy (especially left ear).
I have the driver side seat belt rattle. play with the top adjuster a bit to moderate it.
Had the same seat belt rattle on my 2016 where it came outta the wall. Best advice is the "jostle" it around on the wall a bit. Just seemed to get out of place on occasion and running it up and down the height settings settled it down. Like the worst spot possible for a rattle as well being right at ear level!
I have the same rattle issue coming from the driver side seatbelt area. It sounds like a stretched wire flapping and hitting metal. Sometimes it stops after 15 minutes or so, sometimes it is intermittent. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's too bad! I'm just over 5000 miles on my '17 Duramax ZR2 and it's tight and quiet as can be. It's been on rough trail, washboard roads, and no rattles at all. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
My 15 is still rattle free, and has been from day one.

Reactions: JBT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Way less then I expected

I wanted to like this truck, I love the idea of this Diesel Canyon SLT pickup. I just hate the execution. I should have picked up my money and ran when I saw the paint job on this $45,000 truck. But nooo I took it home just to find out the whole truck is the same quality as the paint job. 3 major warranty repairs and a front seat that looks like it is worn out at 8000 miles, just what kind of leather are they using? No lock on fuel access door! Now I have trouble codes coming on because a stud tore into my wire harness, so it's back to the dealer for another warranty/recall repair. They surely won't have the part so it will be two more visits. Going back to German cars, this is getting traded on a BMW or Mercedes Diesel. GMC should be ashamed with all the cost cutting showing up in quality control.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I wanted to like this truck, I love the idea of this Diesel Canyon SLT pickup. I just hate the execution. I should have picked up my money and ran when I saw the paint job on this $45,000 truck. But nooo I took it home just to find out the whole truck is the same quality as the paint job. 3 major warranty repairs and a front seat that looks like it is worn out at 8000 miles, just what kind of leather are they using? No lock on fuel access door! Now I have trouble codes coming on because a stud tore into my wire harness, so it's back to the dealer for another warranty/recall repair. They surely won't have the part so it will be two more visits. Going back to German cars, this is getting traded on a BMW or Mercedes Diesel. GMC should be ashamed with all the cost cutting showing up in quality control.
Just curious, do you have any photos of your worn out seats? I have the Z71 seats and they are still brand new at 13, 000 miles. There really hasn't been any worn out seat complaints on this website for the 2nd gen trucks? There have been a few that have had stitching problems where the dealers replaced the seat covers. But, I haven't seen one compliant about worn out leather with less than 10 thousand miles on the truck. Also, I don't have any rattles at all and my Red Hot paint job is excellent. Maybe GM has more problems with metallic paints? Anyhow, show us these worn out seats at 8,000 miles. I don't believe you. >:)

There is one squeak or rattle you can have that comes from the headliner clips not being secure. I had a squeak and read it here on the forum. I forget where the post is located. Just climb in the back and slowly push up with your palms around the dome light and moving out and you might hear two clicks. Problem solved. Other than that, my truck is probably the quietest vehicle I ever owned.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
This kinda goes out to a bunch of people in the forum land. If I was buying a truck and I really didn't need one and just wanted to look cool as truck owner, and my choices are between a truck and a BMW or Mercedes sedan... That would be just stupid crazy! I'd pick the expensive sports car any day. I wouldn't be able to carry **** in it, but it would be fun as hell to drive. I've driven both and they are a blast. Why would you buy a pickup?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why would I buy a pickup? Well first off I bought this particular truck Because it has a Neutral transfer case setting. It is setup to flat tow behind my Motorhome. There are only a few vehicles that can be used this way. So there now you know. No I didn't buy it to look cool. I've owned several Porsche's that served better in that department. Regardless of why I bought this is the fact that it has pissed me off now and I've begun to start the divorce proceedings. I'm retired and follow the different forums for all my vehicles as a hobby. I maintain them to the highest level and learning from other owners is a strong tool. I want to like this truck, but the last straw is the latest issue. I know they can fix it so maybe I should calm down? It does tow nice behind a Motorhome, but installing the required equipment was a huge job. Took two full days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Picture of seat wear

Wear that is flaking off outer layer of leather. I used a sharpy marker to cover the exposed white to help hide the issue. That leather panel also is flaking at the seams. This started early on. Clearly a defect in that leather. It looks worse in person and before I put sharpy on the seams and other areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm with JBT, over 12k and not a single problem that i didnt cause, like light surface scratches from tree branches in the woods. No rattles even after running 40-45 thru washouts on red clay roads. Bad enough to cause the rear end to drift around some curves. I have not notices and paint defects nor rattles in the seat belt. I guess I got a Wednesday truck instead of a Monday truck.

Reactions: zman
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.