Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all!

I hope everyone is doing well. My ‘new’ 2021 Canyon Denali which I took delivery of at the end of October of 2020 is exhibiting the same noise all over again. At a mere five hundered miles on clock in early December of 2020 I noticed a very odd ‘clunk’ noise coming from the rear of the truck. This noise would only appear when entering like a driveway etc. under specific conditions.

Needless to say I was a bit bummed that my new truck needed warranty work so soon. I took it to my purchasing dealer about an hour drive away (no huge deal) they evaluated it and determined the problem was faulty rear leaf spring coating. They gave me a nice courtesy loaner and made the repair and within a week I had my Denali back. I gave the dealer a good survey as the problem was fixed and moved on.

Fast forward to April at about 1,500 miles on my Denali, I notice the same noise is back. It is occurring in the same exact driveway entries etc. I get it faulty parts are made and stuff happens... It just started again the other day, I am going to call the Service Department again but this time I am more than just a bit disappointed.

What I was hoping for is some thoughts on how to ‘play’ this scenario. I traded in a perfectly good 2019 Denali in on my 2021 Denali and am now looking at the same repair again. I am beginning to wonder if they will just do the same repair and hope it fixes the issue... Keep in mind my family has purchased four vehicles from the dealer in the past 2.5 years all new GMC’s so I would say we are ‘good’ customers.

What I am hoping for is they will actually fix it once and for all, so I can enjoy my truck for like maybe another year! I am seriously considering doing a half ton 2022 Sierra Denali next time around as my towing needs are changing...

However, I want to make sure I am setting myself up to have my bases covered or to begin the buy back process if needed etc. I also want to increase my chances of the dealer taking good care of me if that happens. I would rather not have to go down the state lemon law route, which states after three repairs for the same issue if it doesn’t get fixed you can peruse it with the manufacturer.

I am simply a guy that is beyond disappointed and is stupid enough to be considering giving GM even more money on a more expensive truck BUT want to play all my cards right should that be needed.

Please provide any advice on the buy back process, how I should play my cards with the end goal in mind etc. I don’t want to be a jerk but also know the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I appreciate any input thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
721 Posts
Ive never heard of such a thing as a “leaf spring coating”. It’s paint or at best powder coat. They’re being very nice to you and maybe changing the leaf pack. It’s a truck with leaf springs which will slap. There are little pads that come in between the leaves but they always fall out and I believe are actually there to aid in reducing friction or squeaking when compressing At any rate it’s not an independent rear suspension so just don’t expect it to be dead silent over bumps or you’ll never be happy with your truck. Those leaf packs will crack whatever paint is there eventually and they’ll just be bare steel (3-10 years from now unless it’s a show car). (Edit re read your post kinda and just lol- first world problems)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive never heard of such a thing as a “leaf spring coating”. It’s paint or at best powder coat. They’re being very nice to you and maybe changing the leaf pack. It’s a truck with leaf springs which will slap. There are little pads that come in between the leaves but they always fall out and I believe are actually there to aid in reducing friction or squeaking when compressing At any rate it’s not an independent rear suspension so just don’t expect it to be dead silent over bumps or you’ll never be happy with your truck. Those leaf packs will crack whatever paint is there eventually and they’ll just be bare steel (3-10 years from now unless it’s a show car). (Edit re read your post kinda and just lol- first world problems)
I appreciate the reply. I drove my 2019 for well over a year and a half... I never heard this noise on that truck and the service advisor admitted to me this was not normal in December. The ticket/work order was written up that it was faulty rear leaf spring coating. I don’t expect a solid axle anything to be whisper quiet but I also do not expect a noise that is repeatable each time I enter a driveway entry etc.

Reactions: MrCamo

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
721 Posts
I can’t see a failed coating or paint causing the sound you described. If your driveway is an incline and you’re hitting it at an angle I would expect to hear the leafs clack. Try going SUPER DUPER slow like your dropping off a 2 foot drop and see if you hear it. I’m just thinking your hearing the mechanical working of the suspension working as it should. (This is all based on your description but there’s only so much going on back there man)

·
Registered
3 Posts
OP, It looks as though you have the same exact truck and the same exact problem that I had. I brought mine back to the dealer for repairs at 600 miles :confused:

My dealer did two things to fix the noises. 1- there are plastic/rubber dampers in the spring packs that are supposed to reduce noise - the dealer found that the ones on my truck were the older style and replaced them with the latest version. 2- they found excessive end play in the rear axle and replaced the c-clips with revised versions. There may be TSBs on both of these issues, but if my dealer was able to figure it out, I have to assume that yours will be as well. They might just need a little shove in the right direction. Totally solvable problems if the dealer cares to solve them. Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
245 Posts
I had 3 sources of noise on mine. First was the emergency brake cable rubbing on the retailer loop in the driver side rear wheel well area. Light coat of grease on metal loop and all was quiet. Second noise was related to the plastic pads at the end of leaf spring leafs. Used some of that prothane bushing grease between pads and leafs and all was quiet there. Third one sounds similar to your current noise and I ended up re-torquing the rear axle ubolts to 60 lb/ft. I did not do the additional torque angle beyond that as that should have happened at the factory. All is quiet again for now.

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado 4WD WT CCSB
205 Posts
. . . First was the emergency brake cable rubbing on the retailer loop in the driver side rear wheel well area. Light coat of grease on metal loop and all was quiet. . .
When rotating my tires, I noticed wear on the e-brake cable where it passes through that retainer bracket. I was worried that the cable could eventually fail. There is another post on this site that had the idea of putting foam pipe insulation around the cable. I did that plus wrapped the foam in electrical tape to make it more durable and also wrapped the bracket in tape. It also eliminated that very minor noise I had when entering a driveway at an angle turning to the left.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Search Fondu Pot on YouTube. He has video on placing 1/4 inch thick strips of rubber between rear leaf springs. Solved my 2017 Canyon and my pops 2015 Colorado. I have dollars to doughnuts it will solve your clunk.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado LT Crew Cab V6 4x4
51 Posts
You mentioned towing is it possible that whatever you have been towing has excessive pin weight? I believe it's possible that could cause compression to a level greater than expected which could cause the rubbing/cracking of the coating.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lmao this is hilarious.
This right here. Talking about a lemon law for a rear suspension noise, would love to be in the room when that is thrown on the table at the dealer. Not to mention buying a few vehicles from a dealer and thinking special treatment is deserved over another person, where does that come in to play?

Lemon law has to be "a substantial defect" that can cause a safety issue (IE transmission shaking or not shifting, stalling engine, over heating, etc) not my car makes a squeak take it back. If that was the case then you know how many interior rattles or noises from the wind would cause overly anal people to try and lemon law a vehicle? It was designed to protect the buyer from major issues that could cause driving related problems and not have to keep going back 5, 10, 15+ times while they work on it trying to throw fixes at it. Either way, this will be a fun thread to follow.

Tyler

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yea, dont even bring up "lemon law" here.

the dealer was professional enough to put the OP in a nice loaner car and correct the issue at no cost to the owner, as it sounds like they will likely do again. i would just explain the issue to them, remind them it's been in once before for the same issue and maybe they will get a better tech on the case. i get that bringing a new truck in can be a little annoying and inconvenient, but some minor noise out of the rear suspension is really no big deal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This right here. Talking about a lemon law for a rear suspension noise, would love to be in the room when that is thrown on the table at the dealer. Not to mention buying a few vehicles from a dealer and thinking special treatment is deserved over another person, where does that come in to play?

Lemon law has to be "a substantial defect" that can cause a safety issue (IE transmission shaking or not shifting, stalling engine, over heating, etc) not my car makes a squeak take it back. If that was the case then you know how many interior rattles or noises from the wind would cause overly anal people to try and lemon law a vehicle? It was designed to protect the buyer from major issues that could cause driving related problems and not have to keep going back 5, 10, 15+ times while they work on it trying to throw fixes at it. Either way, this will be a fun thread to follow.

Tyler
Tyler I completely understand... I work for a manufacturing business that sells relatively high-end product in the market it serves. We would never like to see a product used properly to be repaired twice under warranty in such a short period of time.

I have admittedly high standards BUT trucks with these kind of miles shouldn’t go in for the same issue twice. I will be sure to update all in the outcome. I have no doubt the dealer will take good care of me. I want to be clear this is a first world problem and hope it provides a bit of humor. I was venting a bit when I wrote it and will let you all know the outcome.

I do understand lemon law for a suspension creak/clunk for going in a second time is hardly a lemon. On the other hand I simply want to have my ducks in a row if it becomes a repeating problem to go to bat with GM. I honestly would like a rattle free truck.

Reactions: MrCamo and Hunter62

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
when some one first found their clunk to be the emergency brake cable I got under the truck to look at mine.
I think the ZR2 is routed differently, but I never hear a clunk anyways..

kind of like the wire loom that was/is causing issues, running along a cross member above the tranny, mine does not have that wire loom or at least not routed that way..

Reactions: gm4life08

·
Registered
2017 AT4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,788 Posts
On the other hand I simply want to have my ducks in a row if it becomes a repeating problem to go to bat with GM. I honestly would like a rattle free truck.
Do you mean a wiffle ball bat? There's no way you can force GM to buy back your vehicle just because you "heard a noise". It's not a safety, quality, nor performance issue and there was no repair. In order to have a repair, it first needs to be broken...that dealer is blowing a lot of smoke up somewhere the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you mean a wiffle ball bat? There's no way you can force GM to buy back your vehicle just because you "heard a noise". It's not a safety, quality, nor performance issue and there was no repair. In order to have a repair, it first needs to be broken...that dealer is blowing a lot of smoke up somewhere the sun don't shine.
No not a wiffle ball bat... You did make me laugh. I just want to make sure if it gets excessive with more visits I am covered. This is a first world problem and expect the repair to go smoothly.

You are right I can’t make GM do a darn thing but if it got that bad... I would hope they would do something. That is a big if and I just want a truck that doesn’t make noises it isn’t supposed to. Half of my post was just a vent, still disappointed nonetheless but this is truly a small issue in the big scheme of things.

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
2017 AT4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,788 Posts
No not a wiffle ball bat... You did make me laugh. I just want to make sure if it gets excessive with more visits I am covered. This is a first world problem and expect the repair to go smoothly.

You are right I can’t make GM do a darn thing but if it got that bad... I would hope they would do something. That is a big if and I just want a truck that doesn’t make noises it isn’t supposed to. Half of my post was just a vent, still disappointed nonetheless but this is truly a small issue in the big scheme of things.
Check this out and give it to your dealer:
That describes your noise exactly, right down to the driveway. I was unable to locate any TSB for "leaf spring coating" which is why I am fairly sure they were yanking your chain on that one.

I usually adhere to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy, but noises can be annoying. If it's any consolation, the only time my truck ever went in for warranty service was for a squeaky driveshaft seal. But the dealer would probably have never known what to do if I had not provided them with the TSB# that GM had issued over a bad batch of seals from the factory. If you hear a noise and cannot figure it out, it is always worth searching the TSB's before taking it in...because I guarantee you most dealer techs won't even bother.

That was the very first TSB that came up in my search for suspension related TSB's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts