Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
16'Trailboss edition-K&Ncai-DirtKing ucas-Peak2.0coilovers-GM performance exhaust-SupermodulationTB-
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dont know if this is a laugh at me thread or a learn something thread but here I go: So my family and I are from MI and we wheel around the boonies alot and we feel we know the off road basics, while we still learn from new obstacles. We went down up into the Great Smokey Mountains and I decided to try out some light rocky trails. Going up was fine but going down i lost control of my downhill descent and i skid around a rock wall at about 40mph and met a rock that felt like a curb with my front passenger rim and tire. The airbags did not deploy. It still drove. After the damage on the rim it was still holding air so i moved to a flat spot and changed the whole rim and tire. My truck now pulls to the right and has a rub or grind sound when turning right so ill get that worked on this week. So my warning to people like me who know off road, but not rocky terrain is to use a guide, or help or the dang "touristy" 4 wheel tour so you can at least learn how the damned rocks work lol
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Car

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado 4WD WT CCSB
278 Posts
Dang, son. That really left a mark.

I’ve never driven in rock country either so I could see me making the same mistake. It seems that different terrains (rocky, muddy, sandy) all present different challenges and they all have to be approached differently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's a nice looking truck. You're lucky there wasn't more damage. I know a lot of people like the look of aluminum wheels, but for rocky terrain steelies have a major advantage: they bend instead of break. Did you deflate the tires some? That helps create more rolling resistance. It takes more torque to move the truck, but it makes it less likely to slide and easier to slow down.

·
Premium Member
16'Trailboss edition-K&Ncai-DirtKing ucas-Peak2.0coilovers-GM performance exhaust-SupermodulationTB-
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang, son. That really left a mark.

I’ve never driven in rock country either so I could see me making the same mistake. It seems that different terrains (rocky, muddy, sandy) all present different challenges and they all have to be approached differently.
Agreed. I was going slow and driving extremely cautious. The packed rocks and gravel i was on just "let go" of me and i was skidding down so i just steered. I realized that if I even turned away from the light g force I woulda rolled. I was by myself too. Stupid move No. 2

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a nice looking truck. You're lucky there wasn't more damage. I know a lot of people like the look of aluminum wheels, but for rocky terrain steelies have a major advantage: they bend instead of break. Did you deflate the tires some? That helps create more rolling resistance. It takes more torque to move the truck, but it makes it less likely to slide and easier to slow down.
I was at 25 lbs and the picture of the tire is when i got home after i inflated it just trying to see of it would burst and it didnt, even at 40 lbs lol

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
4X lo helps with descent control, select 1st or 2nd in the trans.

Reactions: AEONFLUX

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4X lo helps with descent control, select 1st or 2nd in the trans.
I was in 4LO! It felt like i was on a bananna peel or surfboard. After i smacked the rock i lost traction control, and stabilitrack

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in 4LO! It felt like i was on a bananna peel or surfboard. After i smacked the rock i lost traction control, and stabilitrack
I slid bad earlier this year in 4lo and learned after that 4lo disables all traction control and stability control, others who were in 4hi on the same trail section had zero issues. I will never descend in 4lo again.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I slid bad earlier this year in 4lo and learned after that 4lo disables all traction control and stability control, others who were in 4hi on the same trail section had zero issues. I will never descend in 4lo again.
Im gonna try that next time

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,818 Posts
“For sale 1 lightly used Icon wheel”
Lame it’s gonna cost ya but I always assume $300 per off road trip, sometimes you go 3 times, the 4th costs 1200 ;)

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
“For sale 1 lightly used Icon wheel”
Lame it’s gonna cost ya but I always assume $300 per off road trip, sometimes you go 3 times, the 4th costs 1200 ;)
.......Just ordered an ICON wheel from Nick over at PEAK.....

·
Registered
226 Posts
ouch... the price of playing in the rocks! good brake modulation is one thing i think our trucks do well. however, 40mph is pretty fast in rocky terrain. glad no one was hurt and you got back safe! also, hope any repairs for the steering pull wont be more than an alignment.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
OUCH!!! A hit that hard most likely skewered your alignment and the noise you are hearing my be the wheel bearing or CV joint.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OUCH!!! A hit that hard most likely skewered your alignment and the noise you are hearing my be the wheel bearing or CV joint.
DOOOOOOD I got lucky so far. I got er' up in the air and my PEAK tie rod sleaves seemed to save them so it looks like my allignment is off about an inch and a half so the sound im hearing is the tire rubbing in the rear. Now to figure out the stabilitrack and tire bee ess

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4, CCSB, V6, leather, tow package, Bakflip MX4
81 Posts
Man that is rock rash in the extreme. If it is any consolation it does make me feel a lot better about the stock Duratracs on my 2021 Canyon AT4. To take a hit like that and not blow a tire speaks pretty well of the durability since Duratrac seem to have a reputation for weak sidewalls. My playground is the San Juans in the Silverton, CO area and I was a bit concerned this summer about blowing a tire on the rocky trails. BTW I ran 18 front and 16 rear for the trails this summer.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,818 Posts
I helped my buddy lift his Jeep last weekend. I used your pic as proof he doesn’t need fancy wheels and should just buy Steelies. On a old Jeep that’s an easy sale. That said no way I’m running Steelies on my truck but if I went out and wheeled my truck (even occasionally) id look into it. It’s a tough compromise between form and function. All in all I’d say this is a freak incident and it will probably never happen again.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So yeah these tires... Ive already purchased 10 of them my whole lifetime and i will never buy anything else unless i put on a big lift and they dont have the size. I slid on a whole pile of loose gravel sized rocks straight into a boulder sized rock. I estimated i was doing 40 because the hit was harrrrrd. These tires have saved my family in the past when we hit highway metal shrapnel at 82 mph (its 75 up north btw) I still have the truck in the air waitingfor bearing hub and debating big BDS lift

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Btw I just found 2 detroit axel not lockers lol on Amazon but none at ANY auto part store within 50 miles of my location wtf?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I remember a long time ago I bought a S10 with the off road package. Hey I am going to Colorado to off road.. Had no clue what I was doing. Bent up my running boards on some rocks but made it thru for the most part ok..

Man your wheel sure took a beating

1 - 20 of 35 Posts