Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Non ZR2 to ZR2 Conversion (BUILD THREAD)

Hey guys. I'm new to this site, but a long time ZR2 fan, from way back in the days of Welcome to zr2.com.

I'm going through the process of converting my standard Colorado Diesel over to ZR2 suspension components, while keeping my BDS 5.5 DSC coilover lift.

I hate to be the poser ZR2 guy, but I already have one Colorado for development, no need for another. I'll be sure to take plenty of progress pictures during the process. So far it all appears to be pretty straightforward.

One thing I'm going to do on my BDS kit is to change to a dual rate setup, with a heavier main spring and lighter secondary. It should work well. I'm using an AGM Spring Slider to couple them, a pretty nice piece.

You may have seen my truck before.. Here it is..

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
So you’re throwing ZR2 arms and dssv shocks on it? Maybe a rear axle too? I guess I’m a little confused as to what exactly you’re doing. I think I like it though.

I have been in contact with bds about developing a lift that works with my ZR2 dssv system since I am here in Michigan with them. They’re in the middle of SEMA crunch currently but after the show we hopefully will see some progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well, the only ZR2 specific item I'm interested in this ZR2 iteration is the front locker, and making it work with an aftermarket switch without the BCM operating limits. I'll be following this for that addition for sure.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What about the frame stiffening modification? Will they also be done?

Didn’t realize that was a thing?

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Didn’t realize that was a thing?

They added to the front in key points to stiffen the frame over the stock one.

I saw a story that showed a couple places they added stiffeners but I am not sure where they all were and wondered if anyone figured it out.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Huh, I’ll compare dads 16 z71 to my ZR2 and report back if I can see anything

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking for the increased track width and travel from the front suspension components.

I'm going to keep the Fox DSC Coilovers that I have from the BDS kit. They're much higher travel than the DSSV shocks, especially when mounted outboard further on the ZR2 LCA.

I'll also be adding the E-Lockers, front and rear and control then manually instead of through the BCM/stabilitrack, ABS logic.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm looking for the increased track width and travel from the front suspension components.

I'm going to keep the Fox DSC Coilovers that I have from the BDS kit. They're much higher travel than the DSSV shocks, especially when mounted outboard further on the ZR2 LCA.

I'll also be adding the E-Lockers, front and rear and control then manually instead of through the BCM/stabilitrack, ABS logic.

May want to check out the shock mounting method on the lower control arms...completely different than a normal setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
May want to check out the shock mounting method on the lower control arms...completely different than a normal setup.

Yep, making parts now. Attached is the lower shock trunnion that bolts to the LCA, I'm making one to fit the Fox 2.5 DSC Coilover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yep, making parts now. Attached is the lower shock trunnion that bolts to the LCA, I'm making one to fit the Fox 2.5 DSC Coilover.

Sweet!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This is the spring setup that I planned to run until I realized the ZR2 LCA mounts the shock further outboard, which will require a longer spring. This is 16.75 OAL with a 600/400 lb dual rate setup. I ordered in a 6" 450lb spring to replace the 4" 400lb spring. The block height of each spring plus the glider is well within the shocks travel range and should make the BDS kit ride even better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Interested to see if you can get the front locker as a unit or you have to get the whole diff assembly. Please post the part numbers for what you find.

Are you going to swap the rear locker as well? The standard G80 works well, the switch just eliminates the 120RPM wheelspin difference to engage, which doesn't net me enough benefit to want to switch it over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interested to see if you can get the front locker as a unit or you have to get the whole diff assembly. Please post the part numbers for what you find.

Are you going to swap the rear locker as well? The standard G80 works well, the switch just eliminates the 120RPM wheelspin difference to engage, which doesn't net me enough benefit to want to switch it over.

I've sent an email to the E-Locker contact at Eaton to see if there is a plan to sell these through the aftermarket channels. Otherwise I'll be swapping in the GM parts if available.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
A number of us have already asked Eaton, and unless you have a specific contact, the answer is a nice form letter no, and directing you to GM.

Yep, Instead of getting a form letter from Eaton I got an email telling me those lockers are GM only. Unless you have a really good contact at Eaton or you plan on some corporate espionage, it's either the dealer or maybe finding a ZR2 in the wrecking yard.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
For anyone else emailing Eaton:

Hello Thunderbear,
Thank you for your inquiry. The ELocker for the Colorado is an OEM product. Eaton does not offer an aftermarket ELocker for the Colorado. For further information please contact a GM dealership.

Thanks!
-Eaton Performance Support

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.