Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my audio system in my 2016 Canyon SLE, Crew Cab, Non-Bose Audio System. I'm keeping the stock touchscreen, but changing all speakers and adding a powered sub. I'm looking for any info on factory amp, wiring and speaker sizes. Found alot of info on the Bose Premium System, but not for Non-Bose System. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
23 Posts
I want to upgrade my audio system in my 2016 Canyon SLE, Crew Cab, Non-Bose Audio System. I'm keeping the stock touchscreen, but changing all speakers and adding a powered sub. I'm looking for any info on factory amp, wiring and speaker sizes. Found alot of info on the Bose Premium System, but not for Non-Bose System. Any help would be appreciated

If its non Bose, there is no external amp. It all goes through the HMI (Human Machine Interface) right behind the factory screen to the top. The HMI is basically the radio, and gets connected to the screen. It is responsible for all antennas and inputs and general operation of the radio. The speaker wiring is going to be located on the plug farthest to the left on the HMI. Im sure there is a wiring diagram somewhere on here.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Speaker sizes are:

2.75" Tweeter in dash
6X9" in the front
6.5" in the rear

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can add GM Part # 19333507 as an upgrade to your system: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-audio-upgrade-200w-sub-woofer-19333507

I added this to my truck and it is the easiest way to upgrade and keep the factory headunit. It adds an amp to the door speakers, plus an amp to the subwoofer. Everything is plug and play, just takes some time to run the wires, but overall it wasn't that hard.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can add GM Part # 19333507 as an upgrade to your system: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-audio-upgrade-200w-sub-woofer-19333507

I added this to my truck and it is the easiest way to upgrade and keep the factory headunit. It adds an amp to the door speakers, plus an amp to the subwoofer. Everything is plug and play, just takes some time to run the wires, but overall it wasn't that hard.

There is no information saying it will work in an extended cab. Do you know if there is an extended cab version ?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
There is no information saying it will work in an extended cab. Do you know if there is an extended cab version ?
No, crew cab only.
A proper sized bass box is too big to fit in the extended cab under seat space.

·
Registered
237 Posts
if you want to tap a signal without having to cut your factory harness, look at metra 71-2107 and gmos-most 01. you connect the 2 harnesses together at the wires and basically use the point where the wires connect to get your speaker out signal to feed a line adapter or your amp directly if it has speaker ins. the rest of the wires act as a pass-through so the head unit doesnt know that you're tapping off the speaker lines.

it's a little more expensive but the result is cleaner and if you ever want to return your car back to stock, you can be assured that the wire harness will plug back up without having to worry much about your connections.

Reactions: tysaunders25

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am fixing to do a SQ sound system in mine and will be using a high end DSP to sum all the outputs in to 1 clean signal. A lot of the new D class amps have integrated DSP's like Kickers Q class, Mosconis D and One class and several others. Pricey but worth it for good clean sound!

·
Registered
458 Posts

Was it worth it? And would upgrading the speakers really improve it?

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
When it comes to sound systems, everything is relevant to the person listening to it.

As Im older now, my hearing isnt what it used to be and....being a head banger for the last 40 years, my new system had to be top of the line and cost was no object as this is supposed to me my retirement truck.

As an audiofile, to me, the BOSE system was garbage and no wheres near where I wanted my system to be so I went for the stock 8inch screen and gutted the entire system and replaced everything. But for others the base system is fine. For others, just adding the GM sub was perfect.

But as an objective answer due to the many sound topics here on the forums, the stock speakers are fine as long as you arent going nuts with the volume....... also, the replacement speakers can be swapped out fairly easily and is in my opinion, the 1st place Id start is you are working on a budget.

Get decent/good speakers, then if you still need more umph, then go for the amp and if thats still not enough, then the sub......in that order.

Trial and error in my sequence and you wont waste any money since you will need the parts before each item first so, it will be money well spent along the line.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Toughsox, did you do a build log or post on your system? Would like to hear what you did/see pics!!!!!!!
Yes This!

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
My question too...not a cheap upgrade, but I'd be willing to spend the $$$ if it makes a difference. Also how much room does the sub-woofer take? I assume that goes under the rear seat in the storage compartment?
I'd imagine it's about the same as my Kicker: about half of the storage area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.