Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Well that's a bummer. I keep a USB micro stick in the console port of my 2016 for my music.
You can't figure out these GM engineers. They get rid of the good stuff instead of re-engineering something that really needs attention, like a 4x4 indicator on the dash. Or did they fix that for the later models?
Yup, that's been fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Opusnbill7

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought there would be usb c on these but apparently not, and wish the 4wd indicator was labeled better in the dash like instead of just a 4 wheel icon put 4 wheel icon with 3 letters A H L auto, high, and low.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I thought there would be usb c on these but apparently not, and wish the 4wd indicator was labeled better in the dash like instead of just a 4 wheel icon put 4 wheel icon with 3 letters A H L auto, high, and low.
Now both of those would be great!! I suppose it's too early for the USB C, but I would like to have that too.

For the 4 wheel drive indicator your idea is perfect! It would be nice to know exactly which setting you're in since, at least IMO, it's very hard to view that knob while driving. Although at least we have an indicator! Earlier 2nd gens had no indicator in the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My $.02...... I have a ‘15 Colorado so with having USB ports in both the center console and up front ahead of the shifter I plugged a 39W Anker dual USB charger in the rear 12V port on the backside of the console and run a 3’ charger cable to my CupPhone. The cable falls in the “abyss” between the passenger seat and parallel to the console and is never really at risk of tangling if I have a passenger (rare). This leaves both USB ports open and the 39W charger plug is faster than any factory port I’ve seen. I have an Extended Cab so nobody EVER rides in the back to disturb the charger plug. With 2 USB ports in the plug I can charge my phone and an alternate device simultaneously.
It’s been my experience that Anker products are very well built and reliable.

*I’m actually considering getting a longer braided charger cord and running it under the center console from the back and modifying the CupPhone to have the phone end of the charger cable come up through the bottom of the CupPhone holder. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone11

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
587 Posts
I guess I dont get the draw of having a USB port in the center console with a lid. Put a phone in there to charge and close the lid? I prefer the two up front in my 2020.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I guess I dont get the draw of having a USB port in the center console with a lid. Put a phone in there to charge and close the lid? I prefer the two up front in my 2020.
I think the point is to have them both places. For my vehicles that have had both I've mainly used the front ones, but it's nice to have them elsewhere too!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'd just add something like this...

YONHAN Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof Power Outlet Fast Charge with LED Voltmeter & Wire Fuse DIY Kit for 12V/24V Car Boat Marine ATV Bus Truck and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXH5ZZK/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_FJY1EbYRMHZ8X

Its easy to install. I threw one in my Forester and use it all the time. It doesn't read out voltage though and it was like 5 bucks... tapped into wiring. I guess this won't connect to android auto but still makes for a good couple of charge ports.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I want it because I'm changing my stereo and I'm losing the stock USB
You're also probably losing Android Auto and Carplay unless you somehow relocate the existing plugs. Not just any USB connection is going to offer that functionality. So, for example, my wife's Outback has USB ports for the rear passengers, but I don't think (actually hope) that those don't work with Android Auto.

Oh okay, I wonder if they have a USB C version.
What is this about USB C? That is the connection on the device end, and does have certain optional power requirements, but at the vehicle end the connection is the same. Same vehicle outlet, different cable. If you have a phone with a Snapdragon processor I'd look for a USB port that supports Quickcharge (but AFAIK, none support both Android Auto and Quickcharge.

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
The beauty of the USB port in the center console is I plug a flash drive in there with my music, one of the little mini-flash drives that barely stick out so it doesn't get in the way of anything I store or get broken off, and no one is the wiser that I am pulling music from a flash drive. Still leaves other ports open.

I don't like plugging one of the cigarette lighter adaptes or just a cord into the rear USB ports because the way it sticks out, I fear anyone getting in the back seat (which happens 1-2 times per year now) or the dogs will break it off. I figure if a rear seat occupant does use them, the occupant should be aware they plugged something in to that port.

My 2015 does not have Android Auto, and I hate how if I plug a phone into the USB port in the front, the system assumes I want to listen to my music off my phone. So, I plugged an adapter into the front cigarette lighter to charge phones when needed. It also has a higher output than the truck's USB ports. I have one short cord that has a micro or mini USB end, and I have a little tiny adapter to go from that to USB-C, which both of my phones use. We have to carry a different cord for my wife's fruit loop phone with the lightning connector.

I also should add, by using the F40/F44 fuse swap, the cigarette lighter outlets are now powered always, as opposed to linked to the key being on. So I can charge phones while I run in the store, etc. The factory USB ports will power down with the radio.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
What is this about USB C? That is the connection on the device end, and does have certain optional power requirements, but at the vehicle end the connection is the same. Same vehicle outlet, different cable. If you have a phone with a Snapdragon processor I'd look for a USB port that supports Quickcharge (but AFAIK, none support both Android Auto and Quickcharge.
Okay, I was wrong about part of this because quite frankly I've been avoiding USB-C. Only my wife's phone supports it. None of my computers or tablets do, nor does my phone.

Anyway, last part first, I was correct that you cannot have Quickcharge and Android Auto on the same cable (except maybe some USB-C cable--not sure). Quickcharge on the standard USB-A port uses some of the data wires for power, against the USB standard. But the charging rates for Quickcharge are pretty decent, rivaling or sometimes exceeding some of the USB-C variations--at least on Smartphones. Laptops are an entirely different matter, they can charge 2-4x as fast (in watts) as a typical smartphone with USB-C or Quickcharge.

What I was incorrect about is that you can have USB-C on both ends of a cable, but God help you if you actually try that. A few years ago I'd read about possible combinations ruining devices, but here's a recent article on some of the problems. Pick the wrong cable with the wrong smartphone and you may end up with 0 watts of charging!

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new phone pretty soon and it will likely have USB-C, but that's hardly a factor I'm looking at as a necessity. The main advantage is my wife's phone and mine will then use the same cable. There will be little other advantage since I seldom hook a phone to a computer to transfer data.

Does anyone know if there are vehicles that offer USB-C ports? I read a lot of car and truck magazines, and haven't heard that mentioned, but then I usually don't read articles about expensive vehicles. I don't know what the cutting edge is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Okay, I was wrong about part of this because quite frankly I've been avoiding USB-C. Only my wife's phone supports it. None of my computers or tablets do, nor does my phone.

Anyway, last part first, I was correct that you cannot have Quickcharge and Android Auto on the same cable (except maybe some USB-C cable--not sure). Quickcharge on the standard USB-A port uses some of the data wires for power, against the USB standard. But the charging rates for Quickcharge are pretty decent, rivaling or sometimes exceeding some of the USB-C variations--at least on Smartphones. Laptops are an entirely different matter, they can charge 2-4x as fast (in watts) as a typical smartphone with USB-C or Quickcharge.

What I was incorrect about is that you can have USB-C on both ends of a cable, but God help you if you actually try that. A few years ago I'd read about possible combinations ruining devices, but here's a recent article on some of the problems. Pick the wrong cable with the wrong smartphone and you may end up with 0 watts of charging!

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new phone pretty soon and it will likely have USB-C, but that's hardly a factor I'm looking at as a necessity. The main advantage is my wife's phone and mine will then use the same cable. There will be little other advantage since I seldom hook a phone to a computer to transfer data.

Does anyone know if there are vehicles that offer USB-C ports? I read a lot of car and truck magazines, and haven't heard that mentioned, but then I usually don't read articles about expensive vehicles. I don't know what the cutting edge is.
Most car manufacturers are still using the old USB ports. Some cars and trucks have at least one USB C to USB C port. The new Silverado and F-150s do. But besides them it's not being adopted as fast as the consumer section of technology.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
First, thank you both.

Most car manufacturers are still using the old USB ports. Some cars and trucks have at least one USB C to USB C port. The new Silverado and F-150s do. But besides them it's not being adopted as fast as the consumer section of technology.
I wonder if the reviews are not mentioning that. Although if you mean 2020's I'm not sure I've seen a review on either.

USB C comes standard in the Rams starting in 2019.
Now that I find odd, because I did research 2019 Rams and didn't see that mentioned at all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was an owner of a 19 Rebel. Had 2 USB-C's up front, along with 2 regular usb's. Same in the back seat. And a regular usb in the upper part of the center console. Maybe it wasn't standard, but part of the Level 2 equipment group. Either way, I just know they were there. If parking that beast wasn't such a pain in the ass here in Baltimore / DC, I'd still have it lol.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wonder how long will it take to have only USB C in cars and not the regular one. For computers, it seems like about 5 years away. The USB 2.0 (regular)is from 2000. Usb C started in 2014. So in about 9 years, we should see cars with only wireless charging and USB C ports.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I wonder how long will it take to have only USB C in cars and not the regular one. For computers, it seems like about 5 years away. The USB 2.0 (regular)is from 2000. Usb C started in 2014. So in about 9 years, we should see cars with only wireless charging and USB C ports.
And by then the rest of the world will be on to USB-D. ;-)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts