Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently upgraded my 2016 Colorado for a 2019 Colorado. Noticed after purchase the 2019 does not have the USB port inside the center console.

It does have a plastic “blank” in that spot where it should be. Wondering why they took this out and is there an easy way to put one in that spot? I used that USB port almost exclusively on my 2016 so disappointing it is missing in the 2019 model.

·
Registered
339 Posts
IIRC the 19 has two ports in front of the shifter instead of one, so same number of USB overall.. it would take some digging to see if the connections are compatible, but you might be able to use a harness and plugs from an older model

·
Registered
339 Posts
This might help..

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
My 2016 has one in front of the shifter and one in the console. On my last trip, I found out that the one in front of the shifter does not work as a charger. Thought it was charging my iPhone, went dead. Tried charging my GPS, it went dead. The one in the console worked great.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 2016 has one in front of the shifter and one in the console. On my last trip, I found out that the one in front of the shifter does not work as a charger. Thought it was charging my iPhone, went dead. Tried charging my GPS, it went dead. The one in the console worked great.
I had that happen in my '18 less than a month after purchase (no power when vehicle is on).. dealer replaced the outlet, which solved the problem. There is also a fuse for it, which should be checked:

On a semi-related note, there is a 50A fuse relocation that can be done to give power to the 12v cig outlets when the key is off:

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just recently upgraded my 2016 Colorado for a 2019 Colorado. Noticed after purchase the 2019 does not have the USB port inside the center console.

It does have a plastic “blank” in that spot where it should be. Wondering why they took this out and is there an easy way to put one in that spot? I used that USB port almost exclusively on my 2016 so disappointing it is missing in the 2019 model.
Yup, I also went from a 2016 to 2019. I ran a nice braided cable from one of the ports in front through the center console into the the blank. Grommets on both ends. Looks very nice. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, I also went from a 2016 to 2019. I ran a nice braided cable from one of the ports in front through the center console into the the blank. Grommets on both ends. Looks very nice. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.
That would be super helpful. Thanks! I would like to do the same.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I is a 6 foot cable. Only two holes were made slowly by hand into plastic and grommets were put over the cable and into the holes. The cable is zip tied out of the way not to interfere with any shifting. I only had to remove one side panel on the Drivers side that came off very easily. Not sure why the double pic

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
Very slowly with a ryobi drill, 3/8 spade bit. My hand was behind it to ensure nothing was touched.
If the drill bit is going slowly, do you bleed less?

A spade bit, slowly, and using hand as a shield. This sounds like something out of a Monty Python skit.

Just call Jerkyking the Black Knight as he exclaims "it's just a flesh wound" - with credit to Monty Python and the Holy Grail

If you don't get it, google "black knight holy grail flesh wound" and the reference will be complete.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
isnt there usb power on the backside of the console?
maybe also pre-wired for the optional phone charger that is on the console lid?

·
Registered
516 Posts
isnt there usb power on the backside of the console?
maybe also pre-wired for the optional phone charger that is on the console lid?
There are 2 on the backside of the console but they are charging only. So you cannot use them to play music, Apple carplay, or Android auto. Those functions are from the front only.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
There are 2 on the backside of the console but they are charging only. So you cannot use them to play music, Apple carplay, or Android auto. Those functions are from the front only.
I'm glad they finally did that, it's annoying as [email protected]#$ when one of my kids plugs their phone into one of the truck's USB ports back there instead of the stand-alone charger and they hijack the radio in my 2017.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wondering why they took this out and is there an easy way to put one in that spot? I used that USB port almost exclusively on my 2016 so disappointing it is missing in the 2019 model.
I have the same issue/question with my 2019. I have the luxury & convenience packages as well as the upgraded infotainment. None of that seems to include a center console USB port according to the detailed build sheet that my dealer printed out. I tried building a new 2019 on Chevy's site that would include this as an option and couldn't. Perhaps it's simply deleted from the 2019?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I have the same issue/question with my 2019. I have the luxury & convenience packages as well as the upgraded infotainment. None of that seems to include a center console USB port according to the detailed build sheet that my dealer printed out. I tried building a new 2019 on Chevy's site that would include this as an option and couldn't. Perhaps it's simply deleted from the 2019?
This was addressed in the first reply to this thread; The center console USB port was moved to the cubby beneath the HVAC controls. There are 2 USB ports down there now, before there used to be 1 there and 1 in the center console and then 2 on the back of the center console for the back seats. Now there are 2 in the cubby and 2 on the back of the center console.

Reactions: Mike's Z71

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well that's a bummer. I keep a USB micro stick in the console port of my 2016 for my music.
You can't figure out these GM engineers. They get rid of the good stuff instead of re-engineering something that really needs attention, like a 4x4 indicator on the dash. Or did they fix that for the later models?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts