Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have taken a job down on the Outer Banks and am looking for a truck. We are a family of four and this will be a daily driver. I'd like to take it up to Corova Beach every now and then (miles of soft sandy beach driving, and we'll be living in a one road in/out situation where the water can get high in a storm, so I need some clearance. But the main reason for a truck is just because I want one. Easier to toss coolers in the back, etc.

Currently looking at Tacomas and Colorados but am starting to lean toward the Colorado. I had an old S10 Blazer that I beat the hell out of, and also lived in a 2000 Tahoe for a few years. Brother, dad, and uncle all have full size Chevys so It would sort of be bad form to get a Taco.

I'd love a ZR2 but don't think it's really practical in my situation and I'll be buying used so would be hard to find.

Def need the following:
  • 4wd
  • 4 doors
Decisions are:
  • diesel or gas
  • short or long
  • whatever else you guys think I should be looking at!?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
There's this thread today on diesel or gas.

You're going to get a very biased opinion here on the Tacoma, but I think it may have a few things the Colorado/Canyon doesn't, like blind spot detection. I've never even really sat in one or considered one because it wouldn't have been the tow vehicle I needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that’s a great post. Seems like I’d be OK with either gas or diesel but definitely don’t NEED a diesel. I’ve never had one before so unless I get a good deal on one I think I’ll end up with gas.

Are there any years you guys would shy away from? I’m hoping to find a deal on a 2016 or newer but might go older.

I like putting a bit of money into my vehicles. I’ll definitely be replacing the front bumper, maybe the rear. Also will be adding a rack and cover, might do a couple easy things to the engine. If my wife lets me I’ll lift a couple inches 😉

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for a crew Z71.

You have many options for used models just try to keep to 2017 and later for the newer engine and make sure 5he transmission flush was done.

While the. Heavy is not perfect the Toyota is down on power, less head room. Lacks boxed frame and still lacks rear disc brakes. Toyota is a very old truck due to the lack of development.

As for Diesel or gas please drive both. Diesel is an acquired taste you either love it or not. They just fit needs for some better than others.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Are there any years you guys would shy away from? I’m hoping to find a deal on a 2016 or newer but might go older.
The early 8 speeds were problematic--search for shudder here. So if it were me buying a V6 I'd probably go with either an earlier model with the 6 speed or something built after the fluid changeover, which was sometime in 2019. A fluid change fixed some, but apparently not all of the early 8 speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. So new engine on 2017... I had not read that yet. That’s exactly the kind of info I’m after. Any problems with the 2015-16 or is the new one just better?

I’ve read up on the shudder and I have to say it puts me off a little. I probably can’t afford a 2019-20 and I’m not anticipating many used owners out there having and answer when I ask about fluid change. I am aware that all trucks have their problems, but trans problems are 😬

I like the idea that the 2nd gen Colorados are new, while the Tacoma seems to be riding the coat tails of the period when it was the best mid-size out there.

Anything else to think about? What are the factory speakers like? And how is phone integration for music?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Thanks guys. So new engine on 2017... I had not read that yet. That’s exactly the kind of info I’m after. Any problems with the 2015-16 or is the new one just better?

I’ve read up on the shudder and I have to say it puts me off a little. I probably can’t afford a 2019-20 and I’m not anticipating many used owners out there having and answer when I ask about fluid change. I am aware that all trucks have their problems, but trans problems are 😬

I like the idea that the 2nd gen Colorados are new, while the Tacoma seems to be riding the coat tails of the period when it was the best mid-size out there.

Anything else to think about? What are the factory speakers like? And how is phone integration for music?
Here are the details so you know.

tge engines while similar do have a good number of changes. The prime changes were a upgrade to the POV system that puts oil back into a catch trap in the valley and returns the oil back to the engine. The pre 17 engines have exhibited carbon build up issues in some cases. Some have resorted to catch cans.

Second there was issues with timing change in various GM models that this engine as addressed. We did not see it much on the trucks but it is the older system.

As for the transmission issues. The 8 speeds had an issue that a shudder can happen. It was tracked down to a fluid problem and GM with Mobil 1 created a new fluid that has addressed most of the issues. The Sudder is rare today but it pops up now and then mostly related to a glazed clutch on the converter.

GM changed the fluid starting in March 2019. The earlier trucks are being flushed under warranty at no charge.

The shudder issues have been at nearly every company if you google transmission shudder. Moisture absorption has been at the root of many of the issues. It used to be a hot topic here but not much anymore. It also is a driveline isdue so the warranty is longer than the 3 year bumper to bumper.

The 6 speed on the early trucks has a chuggle as it is called. It at this point has no fix and appears to be a programing issue. Some have resorted to several fixes with varying results.

Note too that many not in the forum have either not had either issue nor noticed it. I had the isdue on my 8 speed but to be honest it was very minor and could be mistaken for an uneven road surface. If you know what to look for you find it happens under load or up hill around 40-50 mph. Most cases are minor only a few get severe.

You make your own choice but I would rather have the later drivetrain.

Note too my harsh 1-2 shift that is common on the 8 speeds went away with the fluid change too.

I am three years in and had the fluid flush and am very pleased with my truck. No regrets and no second thoughts about my purchase. If I had to replace it today I would buy the very same truck again.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Oh the phone integration is probably the industry best. The speakers are ok on the Bose and worse on the early trucks.

I added the Kicker Sub Woofer option to my system and it is good. It still is not the standard in the automotive industry. Mine is good enough for me.

The quality of the recording also makes a big difference as with any system.

Though not the best it still beats my buddies new Taco stereo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello!

I have taken a job down on the Outer Banks and am looking for a truck. We are a family of four and this will be a daily driver. I'd like to take it up to Corova Beach every now and then (miles of soft sandy beach driving, and we'll be living in a one road in/out situation where the water can get high in a storm, so I need some clearance. But the main reason for a truck is just because I want one. Easier to toss coolers in the back, etc.

Currently looking at Tacomas and Colorados but am starting to lean toward the Colorado. I had an old S10 Blazer that I beat the hell out of, and also lived in a 2000 Tahoe for a few years. Brother, dad, and uncle all have full size Chevys so It would sort of be bad form to get a Taco.

I'd love a ZR2 but don't think it's really practical in my situation and I'll be buying used so would be hard to find.

Def need the following:
  • 4wd
  • 4 doors
Decisions are:
  • diesel or gas
  • short or long
  • whatever else you guys think I should be looking at!?
Getchu a nice Z71 and slap on some better suspension and tires unless you get the midnight or dusk editions as they come with good AT tires

1 - 9 of 9 Posts