Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys 2012 Colorado 2.9,,just finished up the timing Job on my truck and got it all back together and it started but didn't have any oil pressure at all,,I haven't ran an oil pressure test just assuming because i can hear a lifter knock and the oil light is on,,made sure oil pick up was clean before installation,,oil pump only sat on one way,,not really sure what's going on it ran good for a couple minutes before the light came on..I did an oil change and drove down the road a little and did another oil change and looked like no oil had been inside the oil filter?? Anybody ever had this problem before? Any help would be great

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
5,444 Posts

·
Registered
5,444 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys 2012 Colorado 2.9,,just finished up the timing Job on my truck and got it all back together and it started but didn't have any oil pressure at all,............Any help would be great
Hi, can you update please what was issue causing and how it got fixed? I am exactly in the same situation after timing chain job. Thanks

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Hi, can you update please what was issue causing and how it got fixed? I am exactly in the same situation after timing chain job. Thanks
I'm thinking oil pressure fed timing chain adjuster problem. Just a guess though.
Or did you have to remove the plug off of the oil sender and forgot to plug it back in?

Reactions: 442_mike

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Duramax
131 Posts
You might try taking the oil pressure sender out and pumping oil in there with a pressure pump. This will accomplish 2 things, it will prime the oil pump with oil, and fill all the oil system, lubricating all the bearings before your next start.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
No idea, the job was done by a mechanic.
Did you take it back and tell him about it. ? You should give him a chance to make it right.
Have you been driving it? If so I bet it's a sender problem because your engine would be junk real quick with no oil pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you take it back and tell him about it. ? You should give him a chance to make it right.
Have you been driving it? If so I bet it's a sender problem because your engine would be junk real quick with no oil pressure.
No driving it, it's still with mechanic, he said he just replaced the timing chain. I am trying to figure out causes of the issue, either it's his fault or just a usual happen. I ordered new pump and now want to do things in the right direction before doing another mistake. It makes a very bad noise, usually oil pump makes a whinning noise, but this one makes like a heavy metal sound. He said oil pump not pumping. I am not a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Duramax
131 Posts
No driving it, it's still with mechanic, he said he just replaced the timing chain. I am trying to figure out causes of the issue, either it's his fault or just a usual happen. I ordered new pump and now want to do things in the right direction before doing another mistake. It makes a very bad noise, usually oil pump makes a whinning noise, but this one makes like a heavy metal sound. He said oil pump not pumping. I am not a mechanic.
That does not sound good. Depending on how long he ran it without oil pressure, damage to the connecting rod bearings may have occurred.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
oh lord, good luck. was it quiet before he started? Depending on the noise it makes of course, but it would be easy to blame him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
oh lord, good luck. was it quiet before he started? Depending on the noise it makes of course, but it would be easy to blame him.
There was no other noise apart from timing chain, now the chain noise is gone but heavy noise coming from the centre/front of engine, he said it will go after replacing the oil pump as the pump stopped working. We just started for a while to hear it, the serpentine belt was not on as he has to replace the belt tensioner too. I am not a mechanic so don't know these things, you think a failed pump or without belt it can make any such noise?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
There was no other noise apart from timing chain, now the chain noise is gone but heavy noise coming from the centre/front of engine, he said it will go after replacing the oil pump as the pump stopped working. We just started for a while to hear it, the serpentine belt was not on as he has to replace the belt tensioner too. I am not a mechanic so don't know these things, you think a failed pump or without belt it can make any such noise?
Thanks
A failed oil pump will cause all kinds of noise. It is very possible the engine is ruined if it's been running with no oil pressure and makes noise. What does he say about the noise now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
A failed oil pump will cause all kinds of noise. It is very possible the engine is ruined if it's been running with no oil pressure and makes noise. What does he say about the noise now?
He is going to replace the oil pump, he said noise will go. There was no oil pressure issue/noise prior to replacing the timing chain. Didn't run the vehicle like this, only ran it for couple seconds and told me it needs the oil pump too now.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
He is going to replace the oil pump, he said noise will go. There was no oil pressure issue/noise prior to replacing the timing chain. Didn't run the vehicle like this, only ran it for couple seconds and told me it needs the oil pump too now.
Good, hopefully it ill be ok. This is strange, oil pumps don't just normally fail, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Hazrat: Is this a certified mechanic or someone working out of his garage? I'm not liking anything I'm seeing in your posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hazrat: Is this a certified mechanic or someone working out of his garage? I'm not liking anything I'm seeing in your posts.
He used to have his workshop, now working from his garage, seems experienced, recently replaced a timing chain for someone I know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts