Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
.....but I can see how things can get confusing real quick....
This was for my build sheet back in 2015

G80 Differential, automatic locking rear

1 - Available with (LCV) 2.5L I4 engine. Requires (Z82) Trailering Package when (LFX) 3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 engine is ordered. Not available with (N8D) 6-speed manual transmission.

2 - Available with (LCV) 2.5L I4 engine. Requires (Z82) Trailering Package when (LFX) 3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 engine is ordered.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
When 3rd parties put out reports on the internet, it doesn't change the physical parts in my differential. This is from Eaton, maker of G80 for the Twins.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When 3rd parties put out reports on the internet, it doesn't change the physical parts in my differential. This is from Eaton, maker of G80 for the Twins.

And this is a direct quote from the Eaton site:
100% LOCKING
Equal torque to both wheels

Thats not limited slip folks.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
And this is a direct quote from the Eaton site:
100% LOCKING
Equal torque to both wheels

Thats not limited slip folks.
That it's not a limited slip came up recently in a lube thread. I can attest to the fact that in slippery rainy conditions the auto locking differential works much better than the limited slip on my 89 Ranger ever did. In the Ranger there have been steep hill rainy situations where switching to 4X4 was necessary to get going--I really doubt I'll run into that with the Colorado based on how it reacts when accelerating in slippery conditions.

I haven't tried it yet in snow because we haven't had that much and I was more interested in testing the Auto and 4WD settings, but I'm guessing that in snow and 4WD the Colorado will perform better than the Ranger did (which was great) unless maybe the front differential is far inferior.

·
Registered
110 Posts
These are "E"- Electronic lockers gents, not "M" - Mechanical lockers.
The rears are also Limited Slip/Positraction capable diffs.
The G80 RPO code denotes Limited Slip/Positraction diffs... It's not the same part number as the Eaton mechanical locker.
To get the "lockers" to engage one has to select either the Front and/or Real Locker push buttons on a ZR2 or using the Off-Road mode.
For the 4x4 Z71's you get only the rear locker to engage when you manually select "4Low" only.
See attached 2018 ZR2 owners supplement.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
These are "E"- Electronic lockers gents, not "M" - Mechanical lockers.
The rears are also Limited Slip/Positraction capable diffs.
The G80 RPO code denotes Limited Slip/Positraction diffs... It's not the same part number as the Eaton mechanical locker.
To get the "lockers" to engage one has to select either the Front and/or Real Locker push buttons on a ZR2 or using the Off-Road mode.
For the 4x4 Z71's you get only the rear locker to engage when you manually select "4Low" only.
See attached 2018 ZR2 owners supplement.
I think you meant ZR2? The non ZR2 trucks with the locker will lock without it being in 4low, high or any setting. The locker doesn't care nor know what the transfer case is doing. It is mechanically speed limited though.....

·
Registered
866 Posts
Here is the final say video on the G80 courtesy of Chevrolet.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Yes the ZR2 and the 4x4 Z71. At least on the '18 4x4 Z71. The rear locker won't engage unless in 4 Low.
Z71 does not have e-locker but has the G80.

Only the ZR2 has e-locker.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Perhaps I can add clarity here. G80 is BOTH a locker and a limited slip - let me explain: it depends on the application which it is.

G80 is the RPO code that GM has used for decades in cars and trucks. In cars, such as my 1969 Chevelle, the G80 is a limited slip cone clutch differential commonly referred to as "posi-traction", GM speak for positive traction/limited slip.

G80 in light trucks and SUVs, such as my 2005 Jimmy ZR2, and non-ZR2 twins is, as stated above and by GM and Eaton, a mechanical automatic locker that functions on wheel speed differential where mechanical parts called pawls engage automatically locking the rear axle.

The electronically selectable "e-locker" on ZR2 twins is not automatic and must be driver engaged and has a completely different RPO code.

So it is both, but depends on the application which it is. HTH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just your luck I guess that you didn't get the tow package. Yes, get yourself a hitch and you will be easily good for 3000lbs.

Mine is a LT, it has the tow package with the G80, I think that is how it works (you get both). Obviously it was an option on that truck you are looking at and I kind of doubt that is has the G80 locker either if no hitch...Like posted before, if you care you can check the label.

If you really want the locker I would look for a different truck, that is not so easy to install like a hitch.
Z71 standard with G80.
Lt with tow pkg has G80 locker

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Perhaps I can add clarity here. G80 is BOTH a locker and a limited slip - let me explain: it depends on the application which it is.

G80 is the RPO code that GM has used for decades in cars and trucks. In cars, such as my 1969 Chevelle, the G80 is a limited slip cone clutch differential commonly referred to as "posi-traction", GM speak for positive traction/limited slip.

G80 in light trucks and SUVs, such as my 2005 Jimmy ZR2, and non-ZR2 twins is, as stated above and by GM and Eaton, a mechanical automatic locker that functions on wheel speed differential where mechanical parts called pawls engage automatically locking the rear axle.

The electronically selectable "e-locker" on ZR2 twins is not automatic and must be driver engaged and has a completely different RPO code.

So it is both, but depends on the application which it is. HTH
Good info, yes, pretty sure we are talking about Colorados and Canyons here.....;)

Why did Eaton have to go and name their auto locker G80???

Or was it GM that did it? What was first? The chicken or the egg? :0

·
Registered
71 Posts
As a footnote: I was curious (could not recall) if the integrated transmission cooler was part of the GM towing package or not. They don't list it as a component on the website so I have to conclude that it's standard on any truck. I was unhappy to learn when I picked up a Traverse that the trans. cooler is part of the tow package option. Adding the hitch as an accessory leaves you with a limited tow capacity for that reason, so it's only good for a bike or cargo rack.

Colorado:
"The Chevy Trailering Package is an available package that includes a number of towing features that are designed to make your cargo-moving tasks simpler. The components of this package include:
  • 2-in. receiver hitch
  • Four-pin and seven-pin connectors
  • Seven-wire electrical harness and seven-pin sealed connector for connecting trailer lights and brakes to your truck
  • Four-way sealed connector for use on trailers without brakes
  • Automated locking rear differential"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes the ZR2 and the 4x4 Z71. At least on the '18 4x4 Z71. The rear locker won't engage unless in 4 Low.
This is completely false, the ZR2 axles are different than all non-ZR2 twins. GM designed new front and rear axles for the ZR2 with electronic lockers (with switches on the center console) that are 3.5 inches wider than LT, Z71, All-Terrain, etc. twins. Maybe you are confusing automatic with electronic. As others have stated, the G80 is an automatic mechanical locker that detects slippage, and GM uses G80 lockers in both mid-size and full-size trucks. Also, I'm not sure where you are getting information that states that the rear locker won't engage unless in 4 Low, the transfer case has nothing to do with a mechanical locker engaging.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 4 banger Canyon has what looks like a factory towing package to me. So I assumed it had a locking differential, but there is no G80 listed on the list in the glove compartment, so maybe I don't. What is the code for a factory towing package for a 2015 Canyon? Anyone know?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Trailering Package is Z82. I assume by 4 banger you mean a gasser and not a diesel 4 banger.

Most likely you have a 2" receiver added my dealer or prior owner. The Z82 package was not available on a 4 cyl gasser, and requires the G80.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As a footnote: I was curious (could not recall) if the integrated transmission cooler was part of the GM towing package or not. They don't list it as a component on the website so I have to conclude that it's standard on any truck. I was unhappy to learn when I picked up a Traverse that the trans. cooler is part of the tow package option. Adding the hitch as an accessory leaves you with a limited tow capacity for that reason, so it's only good for a bike or cargo rack.

Colorado:
"The Chevy Trailering Package is an available package that includes a number of towing features that are designed to make your cargo-moving tasks simpler. The components of this package include:
  • 2-in. receiver hitch
  • Four-pin and seven-pin connectors
  • Seven-wire electrical harness and seven-pin sealed connector for connecting trailer lights and brakes to your truck
  • Four-way sealed connector for use on trailers without brakes
  • Automated locking rear differeQTE
Also trailer brake wiring harness behind kick pannel beside emergency brake

21 - 40 of 41 Posts